• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bad service: What do you do?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
When you get bad service in a business... could be rude service, poor quality, whatever... what do you do?

Do you...
- simply not go back?
- don't go back AND tell your friends?
- write a letter of complaint?
- give them a second chance?
- ask for the manager and complain right then and there?
- some combination of the above?

Except for asking for the manager I am a mix-and-match, depending on the place and the issue. I have been known to write a letter on occasion, and I try to balance that with an occasional letter of praise if something is really good. I will generally give a new place a second chance, if they have a good reputation, except in the most egregious of experiences.

How about you?

When you get bad service in a business... could be rude service, poor quality, whatever... what do you do?

Do you...
- simply not go back?

Except for asking for the manager I am a mix-and-match, depending on the place and the issue. I have been known to write a letter on occasion, and I try to balance that with an occasional letter of praise if something is really good. I will generally give a new place a second chance, if they have a good reputation, except in the most egregious of experiences.

How about you?

It depends, all of those are good answers, but it will depend on what is wrong, how wrong it is, if they attempt to fix it, how unhappy I am etc.

like If I'm at a diner and I'm given the wrong item due to a mistake by the waitress, if it's something I like and is similar in price and I'm a regular there I might say nothing at all.

if the service is lousy, I may not go back.

if the product it lousy, like food that's undercooked I may write a letter to the health department.

the thing is, it is impossible to answer this question because each problem in service is unique and I will have to make the decision based on those circumstances unique to the problem.

Depends on the service. I've had such bad service that I've just gotten up and left a restaurant before I even got my food. Most of the time I just don't go back. Since most of my friends don't live locally, it isn't like they're going to visit local restaurants anyhow. There have been a few occasions that I've called out the manager, but most of the time I don't get the impression they care at all.

Do you...
- simply not go back?

How about you?

It depends on what service (was it food, was it streaming service, is it program support, etc.) and how bad it is.

A lot of times, I don't go back and I tell my friends that the service is crap. Sometimes I'll write letters or internet reviews.

Do you...
- simply not go back?

How about you?

Why is spit in their face and break things not an option?

Some of us dont mind getting arrested...

Do you...
- simply not go back?

How about you?

I worked in fine dining. The general rule was 9 outof 10 people will say nothing and tell 5-10 people about bad service.

Do you...
- simply not go back?

How about you?

I can't even tell you the last time we had complaint-worthy bad service for ANYTHING. I'm a Yelper. I write, probably, ten great reviews for every pan. When I do complain, it's usually directly to the offender. Im not going to be the cause of someone losing their job, so attitude would have to be pretty bad for me to go up the line. No second chances. Too many options in suburban Chicago to settle for anything short of best.

Do you...
- simply not go back?

How about you?

Depending on the issue maybe the manager and maybe just the waiter. Depending on the reaction, tell my friends.

When you get bad service in a business... could be rude service, poor quality, whatever... what do you do?Do you...- simply not go back?- don't go back AND tell your friends?- write a letter of complaint?- give them a second chance?- ask for the manager and complain right then and there?- some combination of the above?Except for asking for the manager I am a mix-and-match, depending on the place and the issue. I have been known to write a letter on occasion, and I try to balance that with an occasional letter of praise if something is really good. I will generally give a new place a second chance, if they have a good reputation, except in the most egregious of experiences.How about you?
It depends on how bad the service is. I've simply got up and walked out on the bill (dine and dash) but the servers were so inattentive they clearly didn't even notice seeing as how I walked right past them on the way out the door. One time the service was so bad I talked to the manager, but to ensure that the server wasn't being protected (nepotism happens) I also filed complaints with the area manager and corporate office. I've left small/no tips. I only speak to the manager if the FOOD is a problem and that's actually never been a problem is that an actual issue for me. It's almost always just awful service. In the past I've written negative Yelp reviews but I've lost all faith in Yelp due to a few scandals.

Leave a poor tip (I usually do 20%) and/or bad yelp review. If you make a big scene in the place, you're likely to get a healthy serving of phlegm in your food....

Anyway, I wouldn't decide not to go back unless it was an ongoing problem. Usually, it's down to something like kitchen infighting, or a lazy (or drunk/drugged up) server, or simply someone's first day.

Perhaps I'm lucky, but I rarely seem to get anything like bad service.

Do you...
- simply not go back?

How about you?

Usually have issues in restaurants.

Poor quality - Speak to the Server first. If no satisfaction is to be had, speak to the Manager. It has worked for me practically every time.

I try to empathize with the server as it is not their fault if food is not prepared properly. If they are receptive I usually accept any offer to make things right.

Do you...
- simply not go back?

How about you?

I complain to whoever is in charge of the service (In my field usually technology) and just terminate whatever contracts or business I may have with them.

Leave a poor tip (I usually do 20%) and/or bad yelp review. If you make a big scene in the place, you're likely to get a healthy serving of phlegm in your food....

Anyway, I wouldn't decide not to go back unless it was an ongoing problem. Usually, it's down to something like kitchen infighting, or a lazy (or drunk/drugged up) server, or simply someone's first day.

If I get bad service, I leave no tip at all. Tips are for going above and beyond the call of duty. A couple of weeks ago, I took some friends out to dinner, we spent close to $200 and the waitress brought the food and was never seen again. No refills on drinks. Did not offer dessert. Nothing. It isn't like she was busy, she spent most of the time standing with another waitress just chatting. And when I paid, she took my money, I told her why she wasn't getting a tip because she didn't earn a tip. She was pissed, but it's her own damn fault.

Do you...
- simply not go back?

How about you?

It depends. If they're busy I tend to be understanding, unless it is an every time thing... if they're that busy, hire more staff.

An otherwise-good-place, I overlook an occasional bad day.

Incompetent server? If they're new, I'll give them a pass once or twice.

Rude, negligent or just plain awful service, especially as a regular thing, I generally just don't go back. There are plenty of other restaurants competing for my patronage. I can generally tell if it is just a one-off thing or if it is endemic to the joint by the atmosphere and attitude.

If its really bad I'll leave a small tip and never return, and likely tell my friends and family about my experience. I'm not usually confrontational unless they catch me in the wrong mood and really rub me the wrong way. That rarely happens, just as I rarely ever engage in public arguments or public displays of temper.... BUT once in a blue moon, given sufficient provocation and bad attitude, I can just about go "Full Madea" on someone who richly deserves it.

Madeastrength.jpg

If I get bad service, I leave no tip at all. Tips are for going above and beyond the call of duty. A couple of weeks ago, I took some friends out to dinner, we spent close to $200 and the waitress brought the food and was never seen again. No refills on drinks. Did not offer dessert. Nothing. It isn't like she was busy, she spent most of the time standing with another waitress just chatting. And when I paid, she took my money, I told her why she wasn't getting a tip because she didn't earn a tip. She was pissed, but it's her own damn fault.
A tip is not forcabove and beyond. It is part of their salary. If people did not tip the buck would be passed on in higher food costs in order to pay the employees more. Also tips sre generally shared. Bartender. Wine steward. Bus boy. Hostess. They all get a percentage of the tip so you probably screwed them all over.

It depends on what service (was it food, was it streaming service, is it program support, etc.) and how bad it is.

A lot of times, I don't go back and I tell my friends that the service is crap. Sometimes I'll write letters or internet reviews.

Ditto. If its really bad I also wont leave a tip since I always pay cash anyway.

A tip is not forcabove and beyond. It is part of their salary. If people did not tip the buck would be passed on in higher food costs in order to pay the employees more. Also tips sre generally shared. Bartender. Wine steward. Bus boy. Hostess. They all get a percentage of the tip so you probably screwed them all over.

Then they should have provided better service.

Then they should have provided better service.

I have no problem stiffing a bad waiter. I was commenting on your "a tip is for above and beyond service" comment. That is inaccurate. I have not left a tip and i was a waiter for a long time.

I have no problem stiffing a bad waiter. I was commenting on your "a tip is for above and beyond service" comment. That is inaccurate. I have not left a tip and i was a waiter for a long time.

Too bad, that's what I consider it. Then again, the minimum these people have to do is get the food on the table. If they go beyond that, they are above and beyond the minimum and they get a tip. The vast majority of wait staff get tips because they earn it. It isn't something that they're just going to get because they decide to show up though.

Too bad, that's what I consider it. Then again, the minimum these people have to do is get the food on the table. If they go beyond that, they are above and beyond the minimum and they get a tip. The vast majority of wait staff get tips because they earn it. It isn't something that they're just going to get because they decide to show up though.

I guess you eat in ****ty restaurants with ****ty service... I am speaking about nice to fine dining were waiters know their stuff. Wine pairings. Sauce ingrediants. Wine makers. Etc.

I tend to let a lot of things go...I expect a certain somewhat low level of service, a zone shall we say, and so long as they hit it I dont take notice. If it is either much better or much worse than the zone then I do. Usually what I do is try to remember bad service, and if it a happens there again anytime while I still remember then I dont ever go back. There are times when the service is so bad that I dont go back after one problem. Complaining to a manager is a waste of my time, if they dont know about their bad service providers then they are incompetent, if they do know then they were ok with customers getting bad service. I will get a manger when service is very good, I did that last week in fact. Thank yous tend to be appreciated.

I rarely complain about services unless it is about my cell phone or Cable. We all get raped on cable and cell phones extra BS charges, so I immediately make myself very clear to them when they screw up.

Fast food and restaurants are always a box of chocolates when it comes to service, and it has been that way since I was a kid, so If they are really bad.............. I never go back.

My reaction would be from not leaving a tip, to a complaint to the manager. I would certainly inform friends of my experience. I've had bad experiences at places where I've been a repeat customer - sometimes s*** happens. In those cases I'd still tell friends, just not recommend they boycott a place that might have been having a bad day. New places have less chance of being revisited.

Back
Top Bottom