• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bad Boys.....Are you one of the Bad Boys?

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Are you one of those Stereotypes that have been looked upon as one of the Bad Boys? People ever mention to others that you are such? Are all Bad Boys associated with Negativity? What would one think that makes up one of the Bad Boys? Are there different types?

yo2.gif

Some I would Consider Bad boys Off the Top that aren't necessarily negative.

Delta Force
Navy Seals
Army Rangers
Marines

Firefighters
Cops

All Sports Fighters.
Real Martial Artists. (Those that Spend their Whole Lives living it)

Are you one of those Stereotypes that have been looked upon as one of the Bad Boys? People ever mention to others that you are such? Are all Bad Boys associated with Negativity? What would one think that makes up one of the Bad Boys? Are there different types?

yo2.gif

Who said that "bad boys" are negative? I'm actually a "good guy", but I fake bad boy status because of results. When I act like a total douche, I get more stank than a Walmart dressing room.

Good guys finish last. Bad boys finish on your face.

I'm a fairly "nice guy," and pretty happy to be one. I'm reserved when in the public eye, generally keep to myself, and make a point of being polite to the people I meet.

My wilder, douchier side doesn't truly come out until someone gets to know me. :mrgreen:

I'm a fairly "nice guy," and pretty happy to be one. I'm reserved when in the public eye, generally keep to myself, and make a point of being polite to the people I meet.

My wilder, douchier side doesn't truly come out until someone gets to know me. :mrgreen:

Ya got it in reverse, bud. You're supposed to be the douche to begin with, and then slowly soften up. The women that give you a chance...those are the keepers, and not the "hump and dump" bedpost notches. Also, they feel good about "changing you" so you get bonus ass for that.

Anyone that says men have much bigger egos than women is ignorant, or full of crap.

Who said that "bad boys" are negative? I'm actually a "good guy", but I fake bad boy status because of results. When I act like a total douche, I get more stank than a Walmart dressing room.

Good guys finish last. Bad boys finish on your face.

Well, you would have to look thru some of the threads on it.....many think they are just criminal types and dangerous types. Or that there is always some negativity tied to being one of the Bad Boys. I would look at those that are always throwing judgments out on others Right away.

Course one can be a good guy.....as they say deep down inside too. Do you think one of those telling factors of a good guy is thru animals and kids. Seems they tend to know a really bad guy from those that are not.....shall we say, a bit off in the head. Bad in as evil-like.

Still according to the studies I have been looking at.....women do indeed look for the bad guys. Moreover bad boys have higher testosterone levels than other men.

Why Women Fall For Jerks .....
You've seen too many hot women go home with too many dirtbags. It's sad but true: Chicks dig bad boys—to a point. How can you be one of the good guys who still gets the girl? It's just a matter of confidence and appreciation—and a little bit of patience

This sexy chivalry is about a lot more than money. It's a way of interacting with women, and it involves channeling confidence without coming across as arrogant. It's no surprise that self-assurance is sexy; take this amusing study from the International Journal of Cosmetic Science. Researchers shot 15-second clips of men after the men had used either a scented body spray or one without scent, and then asked women to watch the videos and rate the men for attractiveness. The ladies judged the deodorant-blasted men as better looking, on average, though obviously they couldn't smell them. Apparently, the scented guys felt more confident, and their self-assured body language made women's hearts flutter.

The chivalrous man's level of confidence is just right. He asks questions, listens to the answers, and treats a woman as an intellectual equal. "We're drawn to people who make us feel interesting and smart," Muise says. That alone gives you an advantage over both the negging jerk and the spineless blob who can't hold up his end of a conversation.

A chivalrous man does his own thing but lets a woman into it; this translates to an I-could-sweep-you-off-to-Paris quality that women find irresistible. Mention your involvement in the foodie scene, or indie art spaces—whatever makes you you. And respect her quirky circles too. If you're already coupled, surprise her with a weekend getaway or tickets to a show.

Women have a deep desire for savvy, adventurous types. Kristina Durante, Ph.D., a psychologist at the University of Texas at Austin, studies how young women respond to dependable good guys versus mysterious bad boys. In one study, women chatted with a man followed by his "twin brother" (actually the same actor) at separate sessions. The guy followed a family-man script in one encounter and an exciting, wanderlusty script for the other.

"It was incredible to watch the difference in the women's behavior," Durante says. "When the 'good dad' asked about travel, we'd hear a woman say, 'I was just in Vegas with my boyfriend.' But with the sexy cad, she said, 'I was in Vegas with a friend.' Consciously or not, she wanted to keep the possibility of a relationship open."

Blame biology. "Masculinity is intensely connected to testosterone," says David Ley, Ph.D., author of The Myth of Sex Addiction. Not to reduce the bad-boy strategy to that single hormone, but we do know that women find the body odor of men with high testosterone very attractive. Sure, you can increase your levels through bar fights (not chivalrous) or through exercise and competition in sports, politics, or business (hot). "Men who want to have masculinity 'ooze out of their pores,' so to speak, should try things like martial arts, competitive sports, or even high-adrenaline activities like skydiving," all of which bolster confidence and spike testosterone levels, Ley says.....snip~

http://www.menshealth.com/sex-women/why-girls-jerks/page/2

Ya got it in reverse, bud. You're supposed to be the douche to begin with, and then slowly soften up. The women that give you a chance...those are the keepers, and not the "hump and dump" bedpost notches. Also, they feel good about "changing you" so you get bonus ass for that.

Anyone that says men have much bigger egos than women is ignorant, or full of crap.

No, no. I get that. I can be as cocky and outrageous as anybody when I want to be.

I just don't really care enough to put the effort out. :shrug:

Besides, the "nice guy" persona does have it's benefits. You wouldn't believe some of the personal information people voluntarily surrender to me simply because I come off as being "non-threatening."

Last edited:
No, no. I get that. I can be as cocky and outrageous as anybody when I want to be.

I just don't really care enough to put the effort out. :shrug:

Besides, the "nice guy" persona does have it's benefits. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff people voluntarily tell me simply because I come off as being "non-threatening."

Know what being the "gay friend" gets you? All of the drama, none of the *****. I mean, if you enjoy being her emotional landfill, more power to ya.

Some other guy is gonna abuse that puss, dump her, and guess where she's gonna vent...at best, that gets you an alcohol-induced, regrettable mistake that she realizes in the morning.

Know what being the "gay friend" gets you? All of the drama, none of the *****. I mean, if you enjoy being her emotional landfill, more power to ya.

Some other guy is gonna abuse that puss, dump her, and guess where she's gonna vent...at best, that gets you an alcohol-induced, regrettable mistake that she realizes in the morning.

Ugh. Don't worry, I'm not one of "those" kind of guys. I'm polite, not a door mat. Women like that aren't even worth bothering with, IMO.

I was speaking more generally; like among my friends or at work. If two groups are having a problem with one another, I tend to make for a pretty decent mediator because no one has a problem talking with me.

As far as women go, I'd honestly say that I'm in sort of a "99 problems but a bitch ain't one" phase of my life right now. lol

I'm waaaaay too cynical to get much out of the pick up scene, but still romantic enough to enjoy the company of women in general. For the time being, I'm more than happy to simply rest on my laurels and take life as it comes at me.

Last edited:
Ugh. Don't worry, I'm not one of "those" kind of guys. I'm polite, not a door mat. Women like that aren't even worth bothering with, IMO.

I was speaking more generally; like among my friends or at work. If two groups are having a problem with one another, I tend to make for a pretty decent mediator because no one has a problem talking with me.

As far as women go, I'd honestly say that I'm in sort of a "99 problems but a bitch ain't one" phase of my life right now. lol

I'm waaaaay too cynical to get much out of the pick up scene, but still romantic enough to enjoy the company of women in general. For the time being, I'm happy enough to simply rest on my laurels and take life at it comes at me.

I fit that same bill, but when it comes to women, I come off as more of the "strong male role model" kind of guy.

Why Nice Guys Finish Last....

The Positive Side of Negative Traits

Researchers at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces gave 200 college students personality tests to see how many of what psychologists call "dark triad traits" they possessed. These traits include callousness, impulsive behavior, extroversion, narcissism and various other anti-social traits for which "bad boys" are known.

The researchers also asked about the student's sex lives, their feelings about sexual relationships, their number of sexual partners, and what they are seeking in sexual or romantic relationships.

According to Peter Jonason, lead study investigator, although society tends to look down upon these "negative" dark triad personality traits, there seems to be quite an upside to being a bad boy.

"We would traditionally consider these dark triad traits to be adverse personality traits, and we think women would avoid these kinds of men, but what we show is counterintuitive -- that women are attracted to these bad boys and they do pretty well in terms of sheer numbers of sexual partners," Jonason explained. "They're taking quantity over quality as their sexual agenda, being serially monogamous and having multiple partners or one-night stands."

And because these characters appear in this study to be successful at achieving their short-term goals -- which, in this case, is a short-term sexual relationship -- Jonason believes such character traits have persevered in so many people because they seem to be evolutionarily successful.

Nice Guys Win in the End

But some experts say it might not be so simple.

Heather Rupp, a research fellow at the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction, believes that the reason women may be drawn toward the "bad boys" is more because of physiology more than psychology.

"I think it goes back to the physiological underpinnings of such an attraction," Rupp said. "For instance, testosterone is a hormone that in men is linked to more dominant personality traits -- outgoing personalities and charm and things like that. And men with higher testosterone are rated by independent observers as being more outgoing and charming than others."

"People high in dark triad traits tend to say what they think others want to hear," said Everett Worthington, professor of psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Moreover, Worthington notes that while some of these males may be more successful at short-term sexual relationships, their overall success with long-term relationships is often compromised by their dark triad traits.....snip~

Page 2: Why Nice Guys Finish Last - ABC News

Although in the long term.....nice guys do win. ;)

Why Nice Guys Finish Last....

The Positive Side of Negative Traits

Researchers at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces gave 200 college students personality tests to see how many of what psychologists call "dark triad traits" they possessed. These traits include callousness, impulsive behavior, extroversion, narcissism and various other anti-social traits for which "bad boys" are known.

The researchers also asked about the student's sex lives, their feelings about sexual relationships, their number of sexual partners, and what they are seeking in sexual or romantic relationships.

According to Peter Jonason, lead study investigator, although society tends to look down upon these "negative" dark triad personality traits, there seems to be quite an upside to being a bad boy.

"We would traditionally consider these dark triad traits to be adverse personality traits, and we think women would avoid these kinds of men, but what we show is counterintuitive -- that women are attracted to these bad boys and they do pretty well in terms of sheer numbers of sexual partners," Jonason explained. "They're taking quantity over quality as their sexual agenda, being serially monogamous and having multiple partners or one-night stands."

And because these characters appear in this study to be successful at achieving their short-term goals -- which, in this case, is a short-term sexual relationship -- Jonason believes such character traits have persevered in so many people because they seem to be evolutionarily successful.

Nice Guys Win in the End

But some experts say it might not be so simple.

Heather Rupp, a research fellow at the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction, believes that the reason women may be drawn toward the "bad boys" is more because of physiology more than psychology.

"I think it goes back to the physiological underpinnings of such an attraction," Rupp said. "For instance, testosterone is a hormone that in men is linked to more dominant personality traits -- outgoing personalities and charm and things like that. And men with higher testosterone are rated by independent observers as being more outgoing and charming than others."

"People high in dark triad traits tend to say what they think others want to hear," said Everett Worthington, professor of psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Moreover, Worthington notes that while some of these males may be more successful at short-term sexual relationships, their overall success with long-term relationships is often compromised by their dark triad traits.....snip~

Page 2: Why Nice Guys Finish Last - ABC News

Although in the long term.....nice guys do win. ;)

As I said in the other thread, I think this can be primarily attributed to our species' evolutionary past.

In the hunter gatherer days, being a testosterone addled jerk who wasn't afraid to slap the living day lights out of a potential rival at home, stand your ground in front of a charging animal during the hunt, or thump your chest and loudly boast to everyone in the tribe about both of these things afterwards would have possessed a man of all the traits that "alpha males" were made of. In accordance with this fact, women naturally gravitated towards these kinds of men, and they continue to be wired to do so even today.

Unfortunately, however; the problem with this approach is that the "alpha male" traits which were so desirable in pre-history often tend to be counter-productive in the more settled, civilized society we have built for ourselves in recent centuries. In today's world, intelligent men who are able to effectively work with others simply achieve far more than physically strong men who seek only to dominate them.

As such, while a lot of modern women still do show a strong preference for the douchier "alpha male" type of man on a purely physical level (especially in their younger, more hormonally driven years), they do tend to eventually learn through trial and error that more stable and subdued men make for better investments on a long term basis. They generally change their approach to selecting mates accordingly.

Last edited:
As I said in the other thread, I think this can be primarily attributed to our species' evolutionary past.

In the hunter gatherer days, being a testosterone addled jerk who wasn't afraid to slap the living day lights out of a potential rival at home, stand your ground in front of a charging animal during the hunt, or thump your chest and loudly boast to everyone in the tribe about both of these things afterwards would have possessed a man of all the traits that "alpha males" were made of. In accordance with this fact, women naturally gravitated towards these kinds of men, and they continue to be wired to do so even today.

Unfortunately, however; the problem with this approach is that the "alpha male" traits which were so desirable in pre-history often tend to be counter-productive in the more settled, civilized society we have built for ourselves in recent centuries. In today's world, intelligent men who are able to effectively work with others simply achieve far more than physically strong men who seek only to dominate them.

As such, while a lot of modern women still do show a strong preference for the douchier "alpha male" type of man on a purely physical level (especially in their younger, more hormonally driven years), they do tend to eventually learn through trial and error that more stable and subdued men make for better investments on a long term basis. They generally change their approach to selecting mates accordingly.

Still one can see it also hormonal. For both female and male. Which like in the other thread shows thru a couple of studies too.

Still one can see it also hormonal. For both female and male. Which like in the other thread shows thru a couple of studies too.

Of course. Men fall for the wrongs kinds of women with alarming regularity as well. It's simply the case that the female expression of this tendency is more commonly known, however; because women tend to fall victim to the wiles of aggressive and manipulative men far more commonly than the reverse.

To name just a couple of examples of women with objectively negative personality traits that tend to enthrall men in spite of this fact, "gold diggers" and women who are unable to resist the charms of more "dark triad" oriented men, but maintain large groups of non-dark triad male "friends" in subservient non-sexual roles anyway both have a marked tendency to throw otherwise sane and rational "nice guys" completely for a loop. :lol:

Last edited:
I fit that same bill, but when it comes to women, I come off as more of the "strong male role model" kind of guy.

(snicker!)

Some I would Consider Bad boys Off the Top that aren't necessarily negative.

Delta Force
Navy Seals
Army Rangers
Marines

Firefighters
Cops

All Sports Fighters.
Real Martial Artists. (Those that Spend their Whole Lives living it)

I've mett a lot of military guys, and fighers (sports) that in their personal lives are bitches, insecure, self-hating and unable to make decisions.

The first impression people get of me is generally that of a "bad boy," I kind of have that look and demeanor, but it melts over time, I'm not really that type.

I've mett a lot of military guys, and fighers (sports) that in their personal lives are bitches, insecure, self-hating and unable to make decisions.

Yeah I have as well.....I was just pointing out. That it all didn't have to be associated with Negative types. Bikers, Bangers, Gangsters, or any other criminal types.

Same deal with Cops and firefighters being jerks offs too.

According to that one study.....women found even the Likes of George Clooney as one of the Bad Boys.

The "bad boy" thing is just a dumb fashion statement. If a person has to go out of their way to look hard, chances are he's a bitch.

The "bad boy" thing is just a dumb fashion statement. If a person has to go out of their way to look hard, chances are he's a bitch.

Heya Surtr. :2wave: I think it a bit more than just a fashion Statement. Biker types are consider by many to be bad boy types. Yet I hardly think they are making any sort of fashion statement.

Also a lot of it is.....the way one carries themselves. A lot of environments play a part too. As well as the experience one has.

Narcissistic jerks are a dime a dozen as are the shallow airheads attracted to ther narcissistic jerks. I suppose if the object is to see how many meaningless liazons the narcissistic jerk can have with the shallow airheads with Daddy issues, then, yes, being one has its advantages.

If the object is to find some sort of meaningful connection to another human being, however, I'd say that being a bad boy is highly overrated.

Narcissistic jerks are a dime a dozen as are the shallow airheads attracted to ther narcissistic jerks. I suppose if the object is to see how many meaningless liazons the narcissistic jerk can have with the shallow airheads with Daddy issues, then, yes, being one has its advantages.

If the object is to find some sort of meaningful connection to another human being, however, I'd say that being a bad boy is highly overrated.

Sure they are.....but like the study showed. When it comes to the Long term relationships. The Bad Boys just aren't topping the Charts. Although that's not to say that there aren't any Bad Boys that have been in long term marriages or relationships.

Another type of Bad Boy.....is the perception of the All American Boy. Such as a Bruce Jenner, Sports Types.

I understand the bad boy image to be really a poor way to say a guy that is sure of himself and uncompromising. I tend to go for the sweet guys, but everybody tells me that I am a bad boy. perhaps it is because i speak my mind, and I don't care who doesn't like it.

I understand the bad boy image to be really a poor way to say a guy that is sure of himself and uncompromising. I tend to go for the sweet guys, but everybody tells me that I am a bad boy. perhaps it is because i speak my mind, and I don't care who doesn't like it.

I do too. A lot of people don't seem to get, though, that sweet/nice doesn't mean "push-over." It also doesn't necessarily mean they aren't rough around the edges.

A nice guy has all the same testosterone as a "bad boy." They are just self-owning enough to choose how they direct it.

For example, rather than directing it at being a jerk or punching someone in the face, they direct it towards great sex. :2razz:

Of course, there are genuine weenies out there. Guys with really, really low self-esteem. I do have more sympathy for that, but it's just as unattractive as a "bad boy."

Define bad boy.
I am bad in certain ways.
Good in others.

Back
Top Bottom