• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect

I agree that producers need to have such regulations placed on them. I am for limited regulations, but I agree with treating livestock better. Unless that legislation bans imports from other farms in other states that don't meet the same requirements, all this will do is put more people out of work in California.
I think this law specifically applies to all bacon sold in California not just produced there. So even farms in Iowa won’t be able to sell to distributors in California.

I’m sure there’s a case to be made this violates the interstate commerce clause, but it’s not like we’re operating on the constitution anymore. So I guess this will go down to whether California state government or the food industry has more power

Go back to family farms and the humane treatment of livestock at least until it's time to slaughter them, and maybe I'll have more sympathy for your fried fat and salt craving.
I've been seeing stories about the fecal runoff from industrial pig and hog farms for literally decades.
Also stories about the filthy conditions surrounding the industry in general. Don't talk smack about the Chinese wet markets, the US is in right up there with them. People are getting sick. Sometimes they die.
And pigs are said to be smarter than dogs. I have two dogs, and they're at least as smart as a human preschooler. Let pigs have some quality of life before you cram them into your greasy maw.
Good on California. It's about time somebody put their foot down.

Nothing wrong with this
At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves.

I do see that point but at the same time, it has to start somewhere. And as a starting point, isnt it the biggest? CA's our largest agricultural producer, right?

We could also stop exporting so much produce, meat, and animal feed to other countries, esp. Asia. But they are willing to pay top dollar (I'm thinking specifically of Japan but that's not the only one).
We produce far more grain then we could ever need to feed America. Most of our agricultural export is grains and speciality fruits, and we grow so many that less then 15 percent is consumed domestically.

we overproduce literally everything. Where do you think government cheese came from? It came from trying to store surplus milk

Go back to family farms and the humane treatment of livestock at least until it's time to slaughter them, and maybe I'll have more sympathy for your fried fat and salt craving.
I've been seeing stories about the fecal runoff from industrial pig and hog farms for literally decades.
Also stories about the filthy conditions surrounding the industry in general. Don't talk smack about the Chinese wet markets, the US is in right up there with them. People are getting sick. Sometimes they die.
And pigs are said to be smarter than dogs. I have two dogs, and they're at least as smart as a human preschooler. Let pigs have some quality of life before you cram them into your greasy maw.
Good on California. It's about time somebody put their foot down.
“My dogs are as smart as a human preschooler”

no they’re not. This is more liberal anti-human nonsense. Your dogs are not as smart as a human. That is a lie

they’re not intelligent at all, they do not think, merely act on instinct.

We produce far more grain then we could ever need to feed America. Most of our agricultural export is grains and speciality fruits, and we grow so many that less then 15 percent is consumed domestically.

we overproduce literally everything. Where do you think government cheese came from? It came from trying to store surplus milk
My comments on that were because since they'll pay more, they often also get the higher quality stuff. It can raise the costs of good quality products here. I am thinking more of hay and animal feed. It ends up raising what we have to pay for the good quality stuff here.

My comments on that were because since they'll pay more, they often also get the higher quality stuff. It can raise the costs of good quality products here. I am thinking more of hay and animal feed. It ends up raising what we have to pay for the good quality stuff here.
Food of all kinds is historically cheap and there’s a case to be made it’s too cheap

We can always count on CA to pass stupid laws.

On the other hand, the pork producers might just say to hell with you, CA. If that happens, we'll see more supply in non-stupid states and lower prices.
Meanwhile, back in reality, this will simply drive up the price of bacon for everyone. Nobody checks a customers political persuasion.

I think this law specifically applies to all bacon sold in California not just produced there. So even farms in Iowa won’t be able to sell to distributors in California.

I’m sure there’s a case to be made this violates the interstate commerce clause, but it’s not like we’re operating on the constitution anymore. So I guess this will go down to whether California state government or the food industry has more power
There's no violation of interstate commerce. States are generally free to have their own rules on things like consumer standards, etc. So California can't ban an Iowa farm from doing what it wants, or even moving its product through California. But it can ban California groceries from selling products to consumers that don't meet California's requirements, regardless of where they were produced.

As to whether it's a good law...meh. I don't mind paying a little more for bacon if the animal had a better life.

I don't know that law enough to say with certainty, but I don't think it would as long as the law is applied equally. They are only saying that the imported products have to meed a specified standard. They aren't putting a tariff on it.

What gets me is how does a state that taxes everyone so hard, sell cheese and other dairy products here in Oregon cheaper than local cheese producers. They must really cram their cows together.

Anyone in their sixties or seventies who visited

a dairy farm
a pig farm
a chicken farm

in the old days and who has seen one in the last ten years or so can tell you that the difference is nothing short of astounding.
I enjoy meat way too much to ever become a total vegetarian however a recent visit about eight years ago definitely inspired me to eat LESS meat.
I was frankly pretty horrified at what I saw, but more importantly, I got the heebie jeebies because the operations looked downright unsanitary and disgusting...
It had nothing to do with libtardism, or PETA or anything else, I was just disgusted, that's all.

So from where I sit, the way we raise meat animals is flat out unsustainable and if fixing some of the more dangerous issues makes meat more expensive, oh well.
Farmers and ranchers can develop smarter and better methods or they can do nothing as ideas like "lab grown meat" become a reality.
And I'll try that lab grown meat too, by the way.
I am not afraid.
Have you ever seen that video of Jamie Oliver showing children how chicken nuggets are made and then asking them if they would still eat them? I suspect you are in the minority.

Anyone in their sixties or seventies who visited

a dairy farm
a pig farm
a chicken farm
My father was raised on a farm. My grandfather had a farm for over 80 years. We all also hunt, fish, and trap.

Nothing I have ever seen on a farm, ranch, or a slaughter house bothers me in anyway. I've hunted for decades, and butchered my own kill. This is natural... we are omnivores, we eat meat. Animal protein is our rocket fuel.

Ever seen how bear kills and eats it's prey? Usually ALIVE. Call it cycle of life. At least we dispatch our kill before we start tearing into it.

in the old days and who has seen one in the last ten years or so can tell you that the difference is nothing short of astounding.
I enjoy meat way too much to ever become a total vegetarian however a recent visit about eight years ago definitely inspired me to eat LESS meat.
I was frankly pretty horrified at what I saw, but more importantly, I got the heebie jeebies because the operations looked downright unsanitary and disgusting...
It had nothing to do with libtardism, or PETA or anything else, I was just disgusted, that's all.

It always amazes me that anyone who eats meat isn't fully aware of the process. A double cheeseburger didn't come from roadkill or cows that die of natural causes. Cattle is generally quickly dispatched with a pneumatic hammer blow to the head. Hogs need to be bled out. First the hog is stunned, then it's throat cut with a still beating heart. BTW, beef is done the same in the event it is kosher meat.

So from where I sit, the way we raise meat animals is flat out unsustainable and if fixing some of the more dangerous issues makes meat more expensive, oh well.

Why is it unsustainable? What has changed? They die and we eat them. We don't need to worry about they live, or how they feel, we are going to eat them, they aren't pets.
Farmers and ranchers can develop smarter and better methods or they can do nothing as ideas like "lab grown meat" become a reality.
And I'll try that lab grown meat too, by the way.
I am not afraid.

California with it's liberal wacky laws and regulations is causing people across the entire nation to pay more for food, which is already sky high. California did it with eggs. Largest producer and consumer, and then it caused out of state producers to need to comply with California standards in those other states, or ranchers could not sell in California. Driving prices up for everyone, especially the working poor.

Sacramento is a CANCER on the entire nation and the entire country. Sacramento negatively affects more American lives than Moscow ever did. If China ever sends a nuke our way, I pray it is at Sacramento.

To hell with California messing with our bacon. This may cause a civil war.

I’m sure you’ll happily eat the lab grown meat which will be purposefully laden with soy to keep you down and docile.

It is true modern industrial animal agricultural is frightful. But it exists because of gluttony. All that is necessary is for prices to reflect values.

in actuality, meat is an efficient form of food and most people eat too much of it. And the food gorging is because of feminism as it took mothers who used to prepare family meals out of the home.
There are few words to describe this post. Incredible...

Liberals are trying to turn us into . . . tofu-eating vegetarians! a Trump supporter joked, but the next Trump supporter didn't get the joke, and a conspiracy was born.

Wait. Was that me? Did I just do it?
Again, it's the dems fault. Christ, do you guys ever give up?

The CRT poutrage has run its course, so righties will have a new thing to get poutraged about: BACON!

To be fair, California voters may have bitten off more than they could chew. ;)
Just evidence of the Liberal attempts to combat the Liberal Hoax of Global Warming...

Again, it's the dems fault. Christ, do you guys ever give up?

Not until America is a completely Communist state and you are eating tofu-shaped bacon.

Right now, the Marx-o-meter only has us at 2 percent Commie, and that's mostly because of our military. We're Commie in all the wrong places.

When the Marx-o-meter reads 100 percent, we give up.

The CRT poutrage has run its course, so righties will have a new thing to get poutraged about: BACON!

To be fair, California voters may have bitten off more than they could chew. ;)
Aoc wants to take away your hamburgers like Stalin!
-Seb Gorka
Proud card carrying trump supporter

I think most people will be vegetarians within the next 20 years or so. If we don’t need massive slaughter houses destroying the earth so we can stay fat and sick we shouldn’t allow it without the prices reflecting the enormous detriment of these practices. Go ahead and cry fowl for the price of your dead animal flesh covered in bacteria and feces that you shovel into your mouths. I mean that too. Go ahead. It’s what we’re used to and there’s definitely no law against it. But I’m extremely happy any time a regulation is put in place that pushes people toward eating ethical food. Especially when there’s a vital wheat gluten shortage going on. There really is. I couldn’t get my seitan Philly the other day. The republicans want to take away your vital wheat gluten like Stalin.

Denmark has plenty of pig products it can sell to California and they all live up to these rules no problem.

My father was raised on a farm. My grandfather had a farm for over 80 years. We all also hunt, fish, and trap.

Nothing I have ever seen on a farm, ranch, or a slaughter house bothers me in anyway. I've hunted for decades, and butchered my own kill. This is natural... we are omnivores, we eat meat. Animal protein is our rocket fuel.

Ever seen how bear kills and eats it's prey? Usually ALIVE. Call it cycle of life. At least we dispatch our kill before we start tearing into it.

It always amazes me that anyone who eats meat isn't fully aware of the process. A double cheeseburger didn't come from roadkill or cows that die of natural causes. Cattle is generally quickly dispatched with a pneumatic hammer blow to the head. Hogs need to be bled out. First the hog is stunned, then it's throat cut with a still beating heart. BTW, beef is done the same in the event it is kosher meat.

Why is it unsustainable? What has changed? They die and we eat them. We don't need to worry about they live, or how they feel, we are going to eat them, they aren't pets.

California with it's liberal wacky laws and regulations is causing people across the entire nation to pay more for food, which is already sky high. California did it with eggs. Largest producer and consumer, and then it caused out of state producers to need to comply with California standards in those other states, or ranchers could not sell in California. Driving prices up for everyone, especially the working poor.

Sacramento is a CANCER on the entire nation and the entire country. Sacramento negatively affects more American lives than Moscow ever did. If China ever sends a nuke our way, I pray it is at Sacramento.

To hell with California messing with our bacon. This may cause a civil war.
What’s wrong with regulating the egg farmers? You ever been to a commercial egg plant for the bottom shelf eggs? It’s disgusting, it’s immoral and it’s a threat to public health. The California restrictions didn’t go far enough. I would make it a federal crime with prison time to sell eggs more then 50 miles from the producer and a crime to not have chickens free range. My great grandmothers family owned an egg business, they fed most of their local county with a 5 acre plot and the birds could roam and there was no antibiotics or stuff like that.

the modern industrial egg producers put smaller farmers like them out of business and they’re a threat to the public. You’re not entitled to push your externalities on others. The egg market is one that can be rapidly re-localized.

What’s wrong with regulating the egg farmers? You ever been to a commercial egg plant for the bottom shelf eggs? It’s disgusting, it’s immoral and it’s a threat to public health. The California restrictions didn’t go far enough. I would make it a federal crime with prison time to sell eggs more then 50 miles from the producer and a crime to not have chickens free range. My great grandmothers family owned an egg business, they fed most of their local county with a 5 acre plot and the birds could roam and there was no antibiotics or stuff like that.

the modern industrial egg producers put smaller farmers like them out of business and they’re a threat to the public. You’re not entitled to push your externalities on others. The egg market is one that can be rapidly re-localized.
I agree that what is by Food and Drug standards called "free range" should be the minimum standard. But Free range isn't as open as people may think.

I agree that what is by Food and Drug standards called "free range" should be the minimum standard. But Free range isn't as open as people may think.
They should be even stricter, and all warehouse farming should be banned

we should understand the corporate agribusiness model is hurting Americans health wise and is destroying rural communities. One reason why young people leave rural communities and never come back and leave these places dying is because the farms have become massive monocultures. Instead of mixed farms planting a different crop each season and having other farming in the side, a big agribusiness supplies gmo seeds for the same crop. This creates super efficient farms worked by mechanized equipment and illegal aliens and it destroys the culture of local areas, while creating grain heavy diets and low quality meat. Also the big corporations have consolidated processing in a handful of cities instead of each small town having a town butcher and medium towns having a regional processer. We grow so much corn that is not even fit for human consumption that we are watering down gasoline with it.

The truth is we can make food more expensive; less efficient and still grow more then we need and have health communities and people

Back
Top Bottom