• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The CRT poutrage has run its course, so righties will have a new thing to get poutraged about: BACON!

To be fair, California voters may have bitten off more than they could chew. ;)

Liberals are trying to turn us into . . . tofu-eating vegetarians! a Trump supporter joked, but the next Trump supporter didn't get the joke, and a conspiracy was born.

Wait. Was that me? Did I just do it?

The CRT poutrage has run its course, so righties will have a new thing to get poutraged about: BACON!

So my wife wants to move back to central California area at some point in the future, which is only fair because she's had to be dragged around for 20 years for my job moves, so wherever she prefers after I retire from the Army is the priority. I've consoled myself in this move to the left coast because the weather is just so nice but this might be a bridge too far 😭

Boooooo!

We can always count on CA to pass stupid laws.

On the other hand, the pork producers might just say to hell with you, CA. If that happens, we'll see more supply in non-stupid states and lower prices.

California and Texas have such a disproportionate control on industry regulation across the entire country. Either state can pass a regulation like this, jack up the price as a result, and the industry will bow to the regulations and make changes because those states represent such a massive portion of the market. Texas does literally the same thing with school textbook content and has for decades. I find the media representation more interesting than the practice of California and Texas bullying industries into compliance. Just because pork may cost 2 or 3 times as much does not mean it would disappear in the state. This piece smells more like propaganda than journalism.

I've tried a few of the non-pork substitutes and to be honest, some of them are jolly well okay by me.
Same with some of the plant based meat/burger offerings.
Some of the fake bacon is plant based, some is turkey based.
I seem to have found a few suitable replacements so if the inevitable happens, it won't be the end of the world for me.

For me, the end of the world is closer to things like species wide epidemics brought on by today's absurdly horrible
pig farming operations where disease rips through the flock and gets to the market quicker than the ag folks can issue a recall.
I've experienced some serious illness from food borne bugs due to sloppy meat handling.
Me no likey BIG time, I GAVE UP bacon altogether a few years ago after winding up in the hospital for three days.
And that's when I began looking at alternatives.
"F*** those idiot pig farmers anyway", I reasoned.

So, as much as I do love bacon, I'll adapt and I'll be fine.
The one thing I've yet to find a substitute for is STEAK.
And I do have serious doubts about any decent substitute for a tasty slab of dead cow.
I may have to draw the line there ha ha.

California and Texas have such a disproportionate control on industry regulation across the entire country. Either state can pass a regulation like this, jack up the price as a result, and the industry will bow to the regulations and make changes because those states represent such a massive portion of the market. Texas does literally the same thing with school textbook content and has for decades. I find the media representation more interesting than the practice of California and Texas bullying industries into compliance. Just because pork may cost 2 or 3 times as much does not mean it would disappear in the state. This piece smells more like propaganda than journalism.

Anyone in their sixties or seventies who visited

a dairy farm
a pig farm
a chicken farm

in the old days and who has seen one in the last ten years or so can tell you that the difference is nothing short of astounding.
I enjoy meat way too much to ever become a total vegetarian however a recent visit about eight years ago definitely inspired me to eat LESS meat.
I was frankly pretty horrified at what I saw, but more importantly, I got the heebie jeebies because the operations looked downright unsanitary and disgusting...
It had nothing to do with libtardism, or PETA or anything else, I was just disgusted, that's all.

So from where I sit, the way we raise meat animals is flat out unsustainable and if fixing some of the more dangerous issues makes meat more expensive, oh well.
Farmers and ranchers can develop smarter and better methods or they can do nothing as ideas like "lab grown meat" become a reality.
And I'll try that lab grown meat too, by the way.
I am not afraid.

The point of the regulation was to improve the conditions in which pigs are raised for slaughter. Clearly, most of the people posting here have no concept of what this is about or the conditions extent. I suggest you visit a farm and learn something of the way we treat animals in this society. You callous indecency is showing.

10 Alarming Facts About the Lives of Factory Farmed Animals

1. More than 80 percent of pigs have pneumonia upon slaughter

- pigs cramped into dirty conditions on factory farms results in numerous serious health problems with dangerous gases from manure, including high levels of ammonia, cause pneumonia in over 80 percent of the factory-farmed pigs entering U.S. slaughterhouses

2. A battery chicken lives on space smaller than your iPad

- every chicken in a battery farm has to spend its entire life in a cage that has a floor space smaller than an iPad, no room to turn around, and certainly not enough space to stretch its wings

3. Animals are forced to grow up to three times faster than nature intended

- animals are forced to grow at an alarming rate
- chickens reach the weight desired for slaughter after just 35 days on a factory farm today, when this should normally take 90 days
- pigs are usually killed at just six months of age

4. Dairy cows are killed after just three lactation cycles

- natural lifespan of a cow is between 20 to 25 years but in factory farms, however, dairy cows are often considered to be “spent” by the time they have gone through just three lactation cycles
- it’s more cost-effective to send them to the slaughter at this early stage of life before their milk production decreases.

5. Forced molting processes kill 5 to 10 percent of hens

- forced molting results in higher levels of egg production, hens forced to produce beyond their natural cycles by enforced darkness without food or water for periods up to eight days
- despite huge numbers of hens die in the process, its still considered “good farming practice”

6. Newborn animals are routinely mutilated

- piglets are mutilated within the first two weeks of life by having their teeth clipped, tails cut off, and testicles removed
- done without anesthetic and is incredibly painful for the animals
- done to prevent the pigs from damaging themselves and each other when they become agitated and distressed due to living in cramped living conditions
- chickens have their beaks clipped for the same reasons

7. Genetic manipulation has left 90 percent of broiler chickens unable to walk properly

- as many as 90 percent of broiler chickens are unable to walk properly at all because their bones and muscles in their legs are unable to cope with the sheer weight of their bodies

8. Mothers are separated from their babies at birth

-calves are taken away from their mothers at birth and are sent off to veal farms where they will spend the rest of their short lives
- calves are not allowed to stay with their mothers as they would drink their mother’s milk, which is diverted by the industry for human consumption
- the pork industry weans piglets from their mothers after just two weeks so that the sow can be made pregnant to increase the number of litters she can produce each year.

9. Veterinary care is almost never administered to sick and injured animals

- the life, feelings, and desires of the individual animals bred on factory farms are of no consequence
- sick and injured animals to be left untreated in the hope that they will survive to reach the slaughterhouse
- disease due to environmental conditions are so common that all animals routinely receive antibiotics as a form of damage control

10. Ninety-nine percent of U.S. farm animals never get to express natural behaviors

- 99% of animals in the American food industry are now bred in factory farms
- due to current accepted regulations on animal welfare in these farms, none of there animals will get to exhibit their natural behaviors
- on factory farms, pigs are never allowed to engage in their natural instincts to bathe in the sun, snuffle in the mud, and create complex social relationships, being confined to a lifetime spent in tiny concrete pens
- chickens confined to cages so small that they can never stand straight or extend their wings can never express the natural behaviors

Attachments

• 1628208103358.png
    1628208103358.png
    762 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Well an apparently little known USDA program(s) helps hog operators during this period. Direct payments are made if the market suffers a 'potential' loss of market price. Cattle had the same thing. There are a multitude of grants, low interest loans available. Farmers always sandbag- good rains mean late planting, fungus, root rot, always something. Bumper crop means price per bushel is going to be low. Cheap feed for hogs means a flood of slaughter hogs that depress the hanging weight price. Always something, yet there are plenty of very pricey pick-ups parked at the local diner or Coop.... :unsure:

Hog operators are no different. I doubt many have seen a large scale commercial hog facility much less smelled one. Not a pleasant place even on a cold day. Nobody likes change, but meat operators and farmers have been adapting for quite a bit now. Moldboard plows that used to work damn near every field are lawn ornaments for most outfits, they are so scarce around me road graders are used to reshape contour furrows.

Those Californians would probably prefer Turkey bacon or Bac'kin fake bacon. Tourists will bitch and whine but I'm of the opinion many tourists travel just to be able to bitch about a new area... ✌️

In the future people might look at the way animals were being treated and think it was as bad as chattel slavery.

Good. There are other things people can substitute if they dont want to spend more on those products.

a dairy farm
a pig farm
a chicken farm

in the old days and who has seen one in the last ten years or so can tell you that the difference is nothing short of astounding.
I enjoy meat way too much to ever become a total vegetarian however a recent visit about eight years ago definitely inspired me to eat LESS meat.
I was frankly pretty horrified at what I saw, but more importantly, I got the heebie jeebies because the operations looked downright unsanitary and disgusting...
It had nothing to do with libtardism, or PETA or anything else, I was just disgusted, that's all.

So from where I sit, the way we raise meat animals is flat out unsustainable and if fixing some of the more dangerous issues makes meat more expensive, oh well.
Farmers and ranchers can develop smarter and better methods or they can do nothing as ideas like "lab grown meat" become a reality.
I am not afraid.
I’m sure you’ll happily eat the lab grown meat which will be purposefully laden with soy to keep you down and docile.

It is true modern industrial animal agricultural is frightful. But it exists because of gluttony. All that is necessary is for prices to reflect values.

in actuality, meat is an efficient form of food and most people eat too much of it. And the food gorging is because of feminism as it took mothers who used to prepare family meals out of the home.

Good. There are other things people can substitute if they dont want to spend more on those products.
I'm not against legislating better treatment of animals. I just hope consumers who voted for it are ready to pay more for the products.

I buy whole real milk. Costs me $5.99 for a half gallon. I also buy eggs from hens with an actual pasture. Those are expensive as well. I do this by choice, without the government mandating it.

I’m sure you’ll happily eat the lab grown meat which will be purposefully laden with soy to keep you down and docile.

It is true modern industrial animal agricultural is frightful. But it exists because of gluttony. All that is necessary is for prices to reflect values.

in actuality, meat is an efficient form of food and most people eat too much of it. And the food gorging is because of feminism as it took mothers who used to prepare family meals out of the home.
/// and the food gorging is is because of feminism /// :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: BWAHAHAHAHA!

a dairy farm
a pig farm
a chicken farm

I am not afraid.
Both my parents were raised on farms. Guess where I was during the holidays. The chickens had run of the whole farm. The cattle had several acres for about a dozen. The pigs probably had the tightest quarters, but they still had lots of room.

I'm not against legislating better treatment of animals. I just hope consumers who voted for it are ready to pay more for the products.

I buy whole real milk. Costs me $5.99 for a half gallon. I also buy eggs from hens with an actual pasture. Those are expensive as well. I do this by choice, without the government mandating it.
Yes I know, more $$. That's what my post implied. I thought clearly.

It's not about the consumers, it's about the producers.

It might end up costing a little more, but there will still be bacon. It's not like the state is banning it, they're just regulating it a bit. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Yes I know, more $$. That's what my post implied. I thought clearly.

It's not about the consumers, it's about the producers.
I agree that producers need to have such regulations placed on them. I am for limited regulations, but I agree with treating livestock better. Unless that legislation bans imports from other farms in other states that don't meet the same requirements, all this will do is put more people out of work in California.

It might end up costing a little more, but there will still be bacon. It's not like the state is banning it, they're just regulating it a bit. Seems like much ado about nothing.
Besides. Letting the pigs actually walk around might make for leaner bacon.

I agree that producers need to have such regulations placed on them. I am for limited regulations, but I agree with treating livestock better. Unless that legislation bans imports from other farms in other states that don't meet the same requirements, all this will do is put more people out of work in California.
I do see that point but at the same time, it has to start somewhere. And as a starting point, isnt it the biggest? CA's our largest agricultural producer, right?

We could also stop exporting so much produce, meat, and animal feed to other countries, esp. Asia. But they are willing to pay top dollar (I'm thinking specifically of Japan but that's not the only one).

Besides. Letting the pigs actually walk around might make for leaner bacon.
That’s a major problem. When bacon is charged by the pound I want meat and not as much fat. Lard is cheaper if you want fat.

It won't. Hog operations will continue no matter what. The AG lobby will see to that. I'd imagine out of state pork will be just like the out of state organic chicken. Point of Production certification. It isn't rocket science... ✌️

Back
Top Bottom