• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baco-mania hits Israel

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
BacoMania Hits Israel As Jews & Muslims Cook Pork Dishes

Israel has had laws restricting the sale of pork and banning its farm production in strict adherence to biblical proscriptions since the mid 1950’s, but certain legal loopholes make it possible to raise pigs for science or in areas that are considered Christian. This has been a delicious “glitch” in the regularly strict and stringent pork laws professed and followed by the vast majority of Jews and Muslims in the country.

So, with a twist of fate, less orthodox sects of Jews and Muslims, as well as their more secular brethren, along with many Christian Arabs and immigrant workers from Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union who don’t keep kosher, are able to get hold of ham, bacon and sausage, etc.

Still, pork is often seen by many Israelis as an affront to Jewish nationalism. Pork sellers routinely face protesters, and in recent years, arsonists have attacked shops in cities like Netanya and Safed, where Orthodox Jews live near secular immigrant communities.

Now brave Dr. Landau, a 61-year-old retired cardiologist and food writer from Tel Aviv, who just happens to love pork and knows that there are many “Bacon Freaks” living in Israel that feel exactly the same way, but due to public pressure, family shame, and social convention, hide their “Baconism” and publicly shy from trying to cook with pork, even in the sanctuary and seclusion of their own home, because they simply have no idea what it is or how to cook with it due to the half century of religious taboo.

Interesting read. I find it interesting that stores that have carried bacon and pork have been attacked by ideological arsonists.

Last edited:
Urgh. Muslims cooking pork?
Shifty_Eyes_Emoticon_by_Canaan1.gif

Israel's restrictions seem to not be working. Maybe it needs to review it ... :shrug:

Finding pork and un-kosher food is not really hard... you can even get them on certian big supermarket networks. In Tel Aviv its easier to find un-kosher resturants than kosher ones for example.
Some Orthodox Jews are violant thorward everything that doesn't fit their world view. They will even phyisically attack people in some places just for driving in Saturday or wearing undecent clothing.

I have heard that the liberal sect of Islam (Alevi's) eat Pork and drink Alcohol.

Urgh. Muslims cooking pork?
Shifty_Eyes_Emoticon_by_Canaan1.gif

Israel's restrictions seem to not be working. Maybe it needs to review it ... :shrug:

It is a very common thing to see Muslims in Lebanon eating pork products (ham, bacon etc...) and drinking alcohol.

Years ago, circa 1990, I was sitting in an I-HOP with a friend late one night having some junk food when I overheard a nearby table. Two sorority girls were eating and looking to have a serious discussion when one turned to the other and said to her companion, in a most romantic voice, "Do you love bacon as much as I love bacon?"

I burst out laughing.

I saw bacon being the scourge of civilization years ago. From personal experience about what bacon can do to people, I agree with the bible on this issue.

ps. This was before I became veg and I ate bacon at the time. I just didn't really, really love it.

Bacon = devil

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom