• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Background Checks

A ruling

Let me ask you one - what is an interpretation based on ?
You are being disingenuous.

A ruling may be part of an opinion but the decision of the court is an "opinion".

You are being disingenuous.

A ruling may be part of an opinion but the decision of the court is an "opinion".

No, a decision of the court is a "ruling" based on its interpretation

An interpretation is your belief about something written, derived from your evaluation of it, and based on your background knowledge of the subject - ie: your legal experience/studies with regard to a judge interpreting law
You don't even have to read a document to form an opinion of it. "Judging a book by its cover" and all that.

See post# 155
I did and it's just as wrong the second time I read it. I think this is more of the stupidity you pulled on what the CCP is called in Georgia. Par for the course for you.

How many shootings do gun control advocates reckon will be prevented every year if we pass a federal law requiring background checks for all firearm sales, and based on what data?
Why should I have to have an ID and a background check just to get a gun when the democrats don't require one to vote and want to allow anyone in the country without papers, or Covid test.

Not passing a federal universal background check law is not "doing nothing."
What's the point? As far as a whole crapload of gun owners are concerned trying to do anything is against their second amendment rights and we all know it. Sadly to many their gun rights trump the lives of others sandy hook I think proved that.

Why should I have to have an ID and a background check just to get a gun when the democrats don't require one to vote and want to allow anyone in the country without papers, or Covid test.
I would be outraged if I were you.

What's the point? As far as a whole crapload of gun owners are concerned trying to do anything is against their second amendment rights and we all know it. Sadly to many their gun rights trump the lives of others sandy hook I think proved that.
No, it didn’t. No rational gun owner weighs human life below gun rights.

I did and it's just as wrong the second time I read it. I think this is more of the stupidity you pulled on what the CCP is called in Georgia. Par for the course for you.

QED

That's your opinion, not an interpretation.

I think you're backing up the wrong tree. It is possible to structure a gun background check system that would be effective in reducing gun violance, however it would violate numerous constitutional rights. Before we can begin to speculate on how effective any background check system may be we neee to agree on what that check would be comprised of. I've seen everything from no change to mental health exams, high costs, and 30 day waiting periods all thrown out aa ideas for background checks. It's hard to seriously debate the effects of such a general term.
We should be first asking why are we performing a background check on a constitutionally protected right in the first place? Do we perform background checks for people who want to post on this forum? If you desire to exercise a religious belief do we require a background check first?

A background check in order to exercise any constitutional right should be repugnant to anyone who values liberty. Only totalitarian fascists demand such infringements.

We should be first asking why are we performing a background check on a constitutionally protected right in the first place? Do we perform background checks for people who want to post on this forum? If you desire to exercise a religious belief do we require a background check first?

A background check in order to exercise any constitutional right should be repugnant to anyone who values liberty. Only totalitarian fascists demand such infringements.

In a way yes. You are only allowed one username and when you sign up there is a type of background done to make sure you're not trying to create multiple accounts.

So why does nothing change if this is true?
Because, obviously, not all gun owners are rational. Nor or UBC likely to cause any irrational ones to suddenly become rational.

Back
Top Bottom