• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Background checks don't work.

Jon Slice

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I have a friend who has been a federal cop for 20+ years. Our dept. sent out notice that a new to market firearm has been approved to carry as back up as long as we qualify. Since we have to provide our own bugs, he & I together went down to purchase a couple. We picked em out, filled out the 4473 and were ready to go when the clerk told my buddy that he had a conditional. My friend got on the phone w/ FDLE and explained that he knew what they where seeing in NCIC and explained that it was an arrest from 1986 and no charges where ever filed, it was only an arrest. After giving them his LE I.D. # and telling them who he was with and giving them the number to the dept. HR they said they could not call anyone and it doesn't matter that he's Law Enforcement. WOW! This was on Wed. and they still haven't cleared it. This was his only arrest ever and he's been cop most of his life since. He's never had a conditional before.

Background checks only stifle law abiding citizens. They absolutely do not stop bad people from getting guns.

Background checks only stifle law abiding citizens. They absolutely do not stop bad people from getting guns.

I agree. They only prevent law abiding people who served their time in prison from legally obtaining a firearm. Many criminals do not have a record,so they are not going to be stopped by background checks period. And criminals with a record will simply obtain their firearms illegally.

Any institution the size and scope of the Federal government will cause many more problems that it will solve.

Innocent Americans will always be the victim of such pathetic inefficiency.

Yet sadly enough liberals never have enough government.

I have a friend who has been a federal cop for 20+ years. Our dept. sent out notice that a new to market firearm has been approved to carry as back up as long as we qualify. Since we have to provide our own bugs, he & I together went down to purchase a couple. We picked em out, filled out the 4473 and were ready to go when the clerk told my buddy that he had a conditional. My friend got on the phone w/ FDLE and explained that he knew what they where seeing in NCIC and explained that it was an arrest from 1986 and no charges where ever filed, it was only an arrest. After giving them his LE I.D. # and telling them who he was with and giving them the number to the dept. HR they said they could not call anyone and it doesn't matter that he's Law Enforcement. WOW! This was on Wed. and they still haven't cleared it. This was his only arrest ever and he's been cop most of his life since. He's never had a conditional before.

I have a few questions por favor.

1. Has your friend purchased a firearm from an FFL dealer since his arrest or was this his first attempt?

2. Has your friend carried a back-up firearm since his arrest before attempting this purchase? If so, where did he get it; e. g. an individual, a loner from a friend, or FFL purchase?

3. What firearm did you purchase as your back-up? Is it for off-duty and on-duty, and how will you carry it?

Thanks...

I think you meant to say "A back ground check didn't work"

That is corect and there are a lot of them. That is what happens when 10-12 million guns get sold a year (guessing since its about 1.2m in CA). People expect perfection - lame. I have no trouble with a reasonable back ground check and even a simple safety test like they mandate here in CA - though the test is only required once in 3 years and to me once enough. I do think background checks on those who already legally own firearms is a ridiculous waste of money and resources - save it for someone that has never bought one and likely shouldn't for some reason - of which there are many.

I think you meant to say "A back ground check didn't work"

That is corect and there are a lot of them. That is what happens when 10-12 million guns get sold a year (guessing since its about 1.2m in CA). People expect perfection - lame. I have no trouble with a reasonable back ground check and even a simple safety test like they mandate here in CA - though the test is only required once in 3 years and to me once enough. I do think background checks on those who already legally own firearms is a ridiculous waste of money and resources - save it for someone that has never bought one and likely shouldn't for some reason - of which there are many.
Say that to the woman who has the x-boyfriend threatening to kill her and the cops tell her "He hasn't actually acted so we can't do anything." and who gets her throat cut on the 2nd day of a three day wait. It happens a lot more than you know. I see it personally.

You've got to be kidding? He called them and they insisted he go through the proper channels? The nerve!!!

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062109264 said:
I have a few questions por favor.

1. Has your friend purchased a firearm from an FFL dealer since his arrest or was this his first attempt?

2. Has your friend carried a back-up firearm since his arrest before attempting this purchase? If so, where did he get it; e. g. an individual, a loner from a friend, or FFL purchase?

3. What firearm did you purchase as your back-up? Is it for off-duty and on-duty, and how will you carry it?

Thanks...

1. My friend has purchased many, many firearms from FFL's since the issue.

2. We have always carried BUGs since we became cops. Our dept. requires that we purchase any firearm used for duty carry from an FFL.

3. S&W M&P shield. We carry 24-7-365/6.

Sorry but we don't tell anyone, even those on some internet forum, how we carry our hide gun.

You've got to be kidding? He called them and they insisted he go through the proper channels? The nerve!!!

Yeah! And the propper channels are derived from a bunch of Liberal, neejerck reaction, bad legislation just thrown together by a way oversized government in way too short of a time without any base structure or design. Yeah, that's what I typed. "Background checks don't work". In stating that I mean the "The proper channels DON'T work."

Link? Please show us how its happened a lot more than we think? Your point is what? Had he not had to wait 3 days he might have shot her on day 1? Seriously need to think about what you post.

Say that to the woman who has the x-boyfriend threatening to kill her and the cops tell her "He hasn't actually acted so we can't do anything." and who gets her throat cut on the 2nd day of a three day wait. It happens a lot more than you know. I see it personally.

More likely he'd shoot her, with a gun he got because they didn't do a background check

More likely he'd shoot her, with a gun he got because they didn't do a background check

another predictably stupid comment. people willing to kill other people have no problem getting guns illegally.

1. My friend has purchased many, many firearms from FFL's since the issue.

2. We have always carried BUGs since we became cops. Our dept. requires that we purchase any firearm used for duty carry from an FFL.

3. S&W M&P shield. We carry 24-7-365/6.

Sorry but we don't tell anyone, even those on some internet forum, how we carry our hide gun.

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting as to what SNAFU occurred with your friend's most recent firearm purchase since he has purchased many guns from an FFL following his arrest.

The shield is a nice pistol. The trigger isn't the best available but the grip fits my hand very well and they are cheaper than the M&Ps.

I know some departments won't allow ankle carry for BUGS but why would anyone want to carry a shield in an ankle holster anyway?

Too big IMO. Probably strapped to your body armor carrier or Thunderwear maybe... :mrgreen:

WOW! The inane responses that are pure one sided emotion astound me. The girl tried to by a gun with her concealed license because the x-bf took hers. She had a conditional over some stupid crap that happened waaaayyyy before she got her cwl. She had a 3 day conditional and on the 2nd day of her wait the x-bf cut her throat. There are no links because the media doesn't report this because it goes against their agenda.

In Florida you don't have to wait if you have a cwl. OH! Partener just let me know that she was trying go buy a shotgun and there are no waiting periods on long guns in Fl. Unless you have a conditional.

One thing you will learn about me is that I'm a "Do your own F'n research" kind of guy. 17 years in Law Enforcement allows me to have an insight that a lot of others don't so I don't have to prove any F'n thing.

Back
Top Bottom