• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bachmann Outraged Over Made Up Cost Of Obama's India Trip (VIDEO)

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Michelle Bachmann is either dumb as a rock or she is lying maybe a little of both.

Bachmann Outraged Over Made Up Cost Of Obama's India Trip (VIDEO) | TPMDC

"Well I think we know that just within a day or so the President of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day," Bachmann said. "He's taking two thousand people with him. He'll be renting out over 870 rooms in India. And these are 5-star hotel rooms at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel. This is the kind of over-the-top spending, it's a very small example, Anderson."

And? Obama lied about unemployment and cost this nation trillions. If you read your own link they only rely on a snopes article that says the $200 million number was "probably" false. This doesn't even match with Alan Grayson's lie.

And? Obama lied about unemployment and cost this nation trillions.

Obama made a bad estimate about the unemployment and he hasn't caused this nation trillions.

Obama made a bad estimate about the unemployment and he hasn't caused this nation trillions.

Obama's agenda has costed America trillions. His "bad estimate" was a lie and a form of fear mongering.

I'd 'really' like to know how much this trip is costing... how many people are going... how many warships really are going into the area... etc.

Does ANYONE have real verifiable numbers?

I'd 'really' like to know how much this trip is costing... how many people are going... how many warships really are going into the area... etc.

That information is largely unavailable for security reasons.

I can't tell you anything about the costs or how many warships are going there, but the ships were likely already in the general area, and would be costing about the same amount of money regardless of where they sailed to or which spot of Indian Ocean they happen to be parked.

Last edited:
I can't tell you anything about the costs or how many warships are going there, but the ships were likely already in the general area, and would be costing about the same amount of money regardless of where they sailed to or were parked

Just for the ships to be able to make it there in time they have to be deployed so there is zero dollar cost for them to be in the area.

Just for the ships to be able to make it there in time they have to be deployed so there is zero dollar cost for them to be in the area.

But...but.. but... the deployment costs that would be incurred even if this trip never occurred is now frivolous expenses to be used to inflate the cost of this trip.

Last edited:

That's funny! :lamo:lamo

That's funny! :lamo:lamo

Dude.. I'm serious. The $200 million a day crap is nuts... I'd like to know what IS actually being spent. With the economy the way it is, money is money. Maybe this money could be better spent elsewhere... maybe not.

Dude.. I'm serious. The $200 million a day crap is nuts... I'd like to know what IS actually being spent. With the economy the way it is, money is money. Maybe this money could be better spent elsewhere... maybe not.

Matt Lehrich, White House Office of Media Affairs: The numbers reported in this article have no basis in reality. Due to security concerns, we are unable to outline details associated with security procedures and costs, but it’s safe to say these numbers are wildly inflated.

Trip to Mumbai | FactCheck.org

Sorry, but you ain't gunna get an answer, nor should you.

Trip to Mumbai | FactCheck.org

Sorry, but you ain't gunna get an answer, nor should you.

I'd settle for 'after the fact' so as not to compromise the secutiry of the President and his group.

As a citizen, I have every right to know what my tax dollars are being spent on. So do you.

From your link...

Gibbs, Nov 4: Well, we have set the record straight with you guys. I’m not going to go into how much it costs to protect the president. Costs are comparable to when President Clinton and when President Bush traveled abroad.

So how much did those trips cost? In the case of some Clinton trips, we have figures from a 1999 report by the U.S. General Accounting Office — now called the Government Accountability Office. The GAO said that Clinton’s trips to Africa, Chile and China in 1998 cost at least $42.8 million, $10.5 million and $18.8 million, respectively — not counting the still-classified cost of providing Secret Service protection.

See? That wasn't so freaking difficult, now was it? All I wanted was a realistic idea of the cost... now I have it.

Last edited:
And? Obama lied about unemployment and cost this nation trillions. If you read your own link they only rely on a snopes article that says the $200 million number was "probably" false. This doesn't even match with Alan Grayson's lie.

If someone is saying something that is to the best of their knowledge, it cannot be reasonably called a lie.

Also, back to the issue in the OP.

Whats sad about this is that this 200 million figure is probably going become a fact in some people's minds. Its amazing and sad how easily a lie is believe by those who want to believe it.

Last edited:
If someone is saying something that is to the best of their knowledge, it cannot be reasonably called a lie.

Also, back to the issue in the OP.

Whats sad about this is that this 200 million figure is probably going become a fact in some people's minds. Its amazing and sad how easily a lie is believe by those who want to believe it.

Exactly. She might be a crazy, but she knows exactly what she is doing. Because she is "tea party", people are going to say it must be true. They can now say anything and it is gospel because right now the tea party leaders are view as infallible.

This is just the beginning buckle up:hitsfan::

Megaprogman is right. It doesn't matter what the actually cost will be now. Just look at the figures Whovian provided and see exactly who his numbers were definative for. Did he show the travel expenses for the other 3 Republican presidents who also travelled extensively abroad? No. He just showed those for former Pres. Clinton. So, now that those figures from the past are out there every trip Pres. Obama makes from this point forward WILL be heavily scutinized and for what?

He is the President of the United States! He has a job to do and part of that job is foreign relations. You either pay to have those foreign dignitaries come here or you go there. Either way, it's going to bare a price tag against the national Treasury. But what most people don't understand is that funding for these such trips have long been part of our UScode (law) since before FDR. He's going about doing the nation's business. Let the man do his job for goodness sakes! But I digress...

If you're going to attack the President for this type of spending, you'd better: 1) attack former President's, too; and, 2) attack those in Congress for their outlandish spending habits, as well, especially if you're going to use a sluggish economy for your rationale.

Last edited:
Making fun of Bachman is akin of making fun of he mentally handicapped. In fact, it is making fun of the mentally handicapped. Just not cool and too easy a target. Better to go for slightly harder targets like, say, Palin.
sad to say, but bachman makes palin look like a frickin' genius....

sad to say, but bachman makes palin look like a frickin' genius....

Far too Generous to Bachmann.

It pretty much makes Palin and O'Donnel Co-Chair Heads of NASA

Bachmann just has these eyes that just say "I am Bat**** crazy and I know it!"

Far too Generous to Bachmann.

It pretty much makes Palin and O'Donnel Co-Chair Heads of NASA

Bachmann just has these eyes that just say "I am Bat**** crazy and I know it!"
lol...i noticed that to....msnbc was interviewing her election night , and i believe it was olberman that asked her the republican agenda now that they had control of the house, if it would include going after the President and other democrats...she wouldnt answer, instead rambling on about the repubs having a mandate, lowering taxes, creating jobs...olberman asked her 3 times, and all three times, she repeated herself...avoid avoid avoid..lol

lol...i noticed that to....msnbc was interviewing her election night , and i believe it was olberman that asked her the republican agenda now that they had control of the house, if it would include going after the President and other democrats...she wouldnt answer, instead rambling on about the repubs having a mandate, lowering taxes, creating jobs...olberman asked her 3 times, and all three times, she repeated herself...avoid avoid avoid..lol

Meh oh well. Best to ignore her. The more attention you give her, the more special she feels, the more special she feels, the more crazy she gets.

**** this crazy district I live in.

Back
Top Bottom