• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baby Monitor .2

Early the other morning, mom woke me up at 6 AM talking in her sleep -- or wherever she is on the consciousness scale. I couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and had a cup of coffee. Here's what I heard at 6:15:

"Oh, helloooo, Chicken Little. You liiiiied. You LIIIIIED, Chicken Little. You're going straight to hell."

Swear. Had I been drinking coffee, I'da had a nose accident.

You just can't make this stuff up!!

Two nights ago, mom woke me up at 2 AM calling out rather softly, "Josieeee....Josieeee?...(then in a little-girl pleading voice) Josieee??"

She doesn't know a Josie. I don't know a Josie. It was eerie, folks, At 2 AM in the morning, with cobwebs in MY head, I hardly wanted to go open her door.

Good afternoon Maggie,

I have to tell you that one of the very best things about taking care of my parents in their last years was the absolute hilarity of some of the situations and things said and done. Having the ability to laugh or the inability not to laugh at some of the very weirdness of growing old is perhaps God's way of making it easier for us to cope and do what needs to be done. Don't resist laughing at these things in front of your mom too - my mother used to beam when I was laughing hysterically and she'd start laughing along, not having a clue about what I was laughing about - it was terrific.

Take care and have a good weekend.

Thanks, CJ. It's so obvious you "get it!" I do laugh in front of mom and share the funny stories with her -- and sometimes with visitors. I agree with you that it's therapy for the soul for both of us.

The hardest thing for me is when she gets cross. Mostly about her pills, bathroom trips and bedtime. Just exactly like a kid!! But I always remember that she has absolutely no control about anything at all in her life. And her petulance is a reflection of that.

If mom were herself? She'd throw herself in front of a bus. :rofl

There's much to be learned taking care of one's parents. God bless YOU for all you did for yours. You're wiser, more compassionate, and understand "the journey" much better than most ever will.

I try to learn the lessons as well.

Thanks Maggie - you will - I see it all the time in your posts. And you're right - my dad less so, but my mom was fiercely independent, doing everything for herself and was always on the go. After she broke her hip when she was 89, she lost a lot of that independence and wouldn't go outside the house anywhere on her own - she broke her hip while outside the house and neighbours found her on the ground and called me. And she went down hill from there. The really independent ones take it the hardest as they lose control of their lives. I remember a friend from work whose father was 96 when they took his driver's license away from him and he died a couple of months later. Such people hate having to be taken care of and it makes them want to die - I know I'll be the same and looking for a way out before I ever get to that stage. So let your mom rant or rage against the unfairness of losing her independence - it's natural - and then you'll both laugh about it later, even if you've spent a couple of minutes screaming at the walls in another room.

Take care

Back
Top Bottom