• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baby Makes 3: Male Penguin Couple Shows Off Their Parenting Skills

DiAnna

Hooter Babe
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This article ran in today's Sacramento Bee, and it is the most interesting, informative, well-written and amusing article I've ever read! It's a very long article, but worth reading every word. I've always loved penguins...who doesn't?...but I had no idea of the intricacies of dating, mating, bonding and parenting. Let's just say that even in the penguin world, love finds a way!

The article goes through the introduction, courtship and bonding rituals of Gentoo penguins Sphen and Magic, which are surprisingly extensive, all the way down to the lengthy egg-hatching process. In fact, the only penguin chick that hatched in the entire colony during this mating season belonged to the gay penguin couple!

I loved this article, and hope some of you will enjoy it as well!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/style/gay-penguins-australia.html

It was a young penguin colony, and all but one of the couples were pretty bad parents. They would get distracted from their nests, go for a swim or play, and so neglected eggs were getting cold, likely never to hatch. This was normal for inexperienced penguins, and the aquarium managers didn’t worry. Next mating season would be better.

One couple, though, was extraordinary. Not because they were the colony’s only gay penguins, though they were, but because Sphen and Magic looked like they would make great, diligent, careful egg-warming parents. They made the biggest nest, and they sat on it constantly... And so then, when a particularly negligent heterosexual penguin couple looked to be leaving an egg exposed (females lay two, but usually only one survives), the aquarium workers figured they would give it to Sphen and Magic. In October, that egg hatched. Now the chick of a gay penguin union is waddling around an ice enclosure by the touristy docks in Sydney...

Last edited:
This will make some people's blood boil and that, sir, is hilarious...

This ****bucket of fail thread is the reason I so rarely start threads. Something that makes me giggle with delight always seems to garner quizzical glances and *crickets*.

*sigh* I really suck at this. Sorry, guys and gals. :(

Carry on!

This ****bucket of fail thread is the reason I so rarely start threads. Something that makes me giggle with delight always seems to garner quizzical glances and *crickets*.

*sigh* I really suck at this. Sorry, guys and gals. :(

Carry on!

Don't be sorry! This is a charming story. Do you remember the children's book "And Tango Makes Three" It was a story of similar male penguins in New York City who created a family and took exceptional care of their young. (around 2005) Well, as one can imagine, the book caused quite a stir. Some parents went out of their way to try to remove it from our local library. It was just too controversial at the time. So perhaps causing no ruckus with this latest version is a sign of moving forward.

All my best wishes to Sphen and Magic!

Back
Top Bottom