• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baby It's Cold Outside pulled by radio station, citing #MeToo

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From the BBC

Baby It's Cold Outside pulled by radio station, citing #MeToo

t's a Christmas classic probably being played in shops and radio stations all over the world.
But a radio station in Cleveland, Ohio has decided to remove Baby It's Cold Outside from its playlist following complaints from listeners.

Local media report that listeners said the song was inappropriate and at odds with the #MeToo movement.

But a poll conducted on the station's Facebook page showed the majority of listeners did not want the song banned.

COMMENT:-

Well, I guess that, using the same sort of "logic" people should start calling for "America the Beautiful" to be banned due to its "inappropriate" emphasis on physical beauty and for "The Star Spangled Banner" to be banned due to its "inappropriate" glorification of war.

We don't even have to think twice about banning "The Bonny Blue Flag" and "The Girl I Left Behind Me" also goes - without question.

DOLTS!!!

I've been jokingly calling baby it's cold outside "the rape song" for years.

Girl "I gotta go"
Guy "nah, it's cold, let me get you more drunk"

Yeah, let's compare that too emphasizing physical beauty or that other example. Totally the same thing. Lmao. Dolts

Girl "I gotta go"

Yeah, let's compare that too emphasizing physical beauty or that other example. Totally the same thing. Lmao. Dolts
Maybe you should have watched the second half of the following video.
It switches.

start @ 02:28

Maybe you should have watched the second half of the following video.
It switches.

start @ 02:28

Moral of the story:

persistent insistence + more alcohol is how you get her to say yes

Moral of the story:

persistent insistence + more alcohol is how you get her to say yes
Correction - it can be how you get either to say "yes".

Girl "I gotta go"

The woman was forced to drink? Women are all passive weaklings? Is that your point?

The woman was forced to drink? Women are all passive weaklings? Is that your point?
Peer pressure works on all people. The question is, is this a valid tactic?

If the woman was insisting the man to stay and kept drugging him do you think the optics would be any different?

Peer pressure works on all people. The question is, is this a valid tactic?

If the woman was insisting the man to stay and kept drugging him do you think the optics would be any different?

Where in the song was the man "drugging" the woman?

We know liberals are nuts. The question is why we let them dictate to us.

Alcohol is a drug. One that loosens self control

You dodged the question of the reverse situation

We know liberals are nuts. The question is why we let them dictate to us.
The right was demanding the boycott of a video game for featuring a woman on the cover...

In the song, he held her down and forced alcohol down her throat?! No.

In the song, he held her down and forced alcohol down her throat?! No.
She was asking to leave while he kept insisting on repeated drinks.

Your threshold is disturbing.

I'd rather discuss the song and not jump to every extraneous thought crossing your mind.

I'd rather discuss the song and not jump to every extraneous thought crossing your mind.
I was discussing the situation in the song when you cried that I must yhink women are weak... so I flipped the script and it still sounds disturbing. But keep dodging

I was discussing the situation in the song when you cried that I must yhink women are weak... so I flipped the script and it still sounds disturbing. But keep dodging

Okay.

It's this lyric that's a little awkward today...

The neighbors might think (Baby it's bad out there)
Say what's in this drink? (No cabs to be had out there)

I like the song. The problem is that there was a time where getting a woman drunk and sleeping with her was considered caddish but fair.

It's this lyric that's a little awkward today...

I like the song. The problem is that there was a time where getting a woman drunk and sleeping with her was considered caddish but fair.

Why don't we stop having sex and let the human species disappear.

This comes on the heals of criticizing Rudolph. Liberals screw up everything good.

Why don't we stop having sex and let the human species disappear.

Straw Man

Please review this video so you don't repeat this fallacy

Moreover, I never said the song should be banned. I just explained why people object to it. You would want someone trying to get your daughter drunk so he can have sex with her.

But I think the song is harmless and just because he offers her a drink to loosen her up doesn't mean he's trying to make her drunk. Alcohol is a well known social lubricant. Offering a woman a drink in the hopes that it will make her relax and more willing to have sex with you is not immoral. It's not the same as tricking a woman into getting so drunk that you can take advantage of her. There's a line.

Again, the song is a little creepy in today's context but it's a great song. It should be understood that it was written during a different era.

This comes on the heals of criticizing Rudolph. Liberals screw up everything good.

What make you think that all liberals agree with this?

Do all conservatives agree with the Westboro Church protesting the funerals of gays?

Back
Top Bottom