• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baby It's Cold Outside pulled by radio station, citing #MeToo

Straw Man

Please review this video so you don't repeat this fallac

Moreover, I never said the song should be banned. I just explained why people object to it. You would want someone trying to get your daughter drunk so he can have sex with her.

But I think the song is harmless and just because he offers her a drink to loosen her up doesn't mean he's trying to make her drunk. Alcohol is a well known social lubricant. Offering a woman a drink in the hopes that it will make her relax and more willing to have sex with you is not immoral. It's not the same as tricking a woman into getting so drunk that you can take advantage of her. There's a line.

Again, the song is a little creepy in today's context but it's a great song. It should be understood that it was written during a different era.

Don't waste your time with that kid stuff about fallacies.

I like the song. The problem is that there was a time where getting a woman drunk and sleeping with her was considered caddish but fair.

If people are afraid that some horny youth will misinterpret the song as 'get a woman catatonic so you can have your way with her,' they're fifty years too late. Nobody listens to old songs.

However I think the lyrics are (though racy for their time) somewhat more benign. Alcohol lowers inhibition and couples, when tipsy, are more likely to make the decision to have sex. I think the story is they're just using the alcohol as an excuse to get naughty rather than actually weaponizing it.

If people are afraid that some horny youth will misinterpret the song as 'get a woman catatonic so you can have your way with her,' they're fifty years too late. Nobody listens to old songs.

That's not true.

That's not true.

Each generation thinks they are the first ones to discover sex..........

Aside: it was an eye-opener to read some of my mother’s reminiscing.......

From the BBC

t's a Christmas classic probably being played in shops and radio stations all over the world.
But a radio station in Cleveland, Ohio has decided to remove Baby It's Cold Outside from its playlist following complaints from listeners.

Local media report that listeners said the song was inappropriate and at odds with the #MeToo movement.

But a poll conducted on the station's Facebook page showed the majority of listeners did not want the song banned.

COMMENT:-

Well, I guess that, using the same sort of "logic" people should start calling for "America the Beautiful" to be banned due to its "inappropriate" emphasis on physical beauty and for "The Star Spangled Banner" to be banned due to its "inappropriate" glorification of war.

We don't even have to think twice about banning "The Bonny Blue Flag" and "The Girl I Left Behind Me" also goes - without question.

DOLTS!!!

More overly politically correct bull crap.
And I'm a liberal.

I was discussing the situation in the song when you cried that I must yhink women are weak... so I flipped the script and it still sounds disturbing. But keep dodging

The war between the sexes will never be won because there's too much fraternizing with the enemy.

Our culture has changed regarding sex and dating with under age girls. I'm a huge Woody Allen fan (movies not the person). I remember so many movies that involved underage girls in the 80's and even 90's. Remember "The Lover." Or how about the novel "Lolita" which I was made to read in college. It's about a man obsessed with a 12-year-old girl.

More overly politically correct bull crap.
And I'm a liberal.

That was hilarious.

I don't agree with Bill Mahr sometimes (Muslims and Religion) but he's right.

But I think most Democrats hate the extreme left crowd that's perpetually offended. And conservatives want everyone to believe that the entire left thinks this way. That's no more true than saying the entire right is racist.

Our culture has changed regarding sex and dating with under age girls. I'm a huge Woody Allen fan (movies not the person). I remember so many movies that involved underage girls in the 80's and even 90's. Remember "The Lover." Or how about the novel "Lolita" which I was made to read in college. It's about a man obsessed with a 12-year-old girl.

Lolita was an exploration of a conflicted person who himself declared his love for the minor as not normal. I'm not sure how underage came into this discussion.

That was hilarious.

I don't agree with Bill Mahr sometimes (Muslims and Religion) but he's right.

But I think most Democrats hate the extreme left crowd that's perpetually offended. And conservatives want everyone to believe that the entire left thinks this way. That's no more true than saying the entire right is racist.

With regard to the subject of the discussion at hand, and that song, "Baby It's Cold Outside":

Songs like this existed back then, they existed twenty years ago, and they exist today, and they exist for a reason.
The reason is, desire. Desire is not sexual assault. The song is not glorifying sexual assault.

And songs like this will exist in the future, because desire will continue to exist in the future.

This comes on the heals of criticizing Rudolph. Liberals screw up everything good.

What was Rudolph criticized for?

Was it his communist colored nose?

From the BBC

t's a Christmas classic probably being played in shops and radio stations all over the world.
But a radio station in Cleveland, Ohio has decided to remove Baby It's Cold Outside from its playlist following complaints from listeners.

Local media report that listeners said the song was inappropriate and at odds with the #MeToo movement.

But a poll conducted on the station's Facebook page showed the majority of listeners did not want the song banned.

COMMENT:-

Well, I guess that, using the same sort of "logic" people should start calling for "America the Beautiful" to be banned due to its "inappropriate" emphasis on physical beauty and for "The Star Spangled Banner" to be banned due to its "inappropriate" glorification of war.

We don't even have to think twice about banning "The Bonny Blue Flag" and "The Girl I Left Behind Me" also goes - without question.

DOLTS!!!

Women are out of control is the bottom line.

It has to be out and out scary to date in 2018. Heck, even in marriages and relationships you never know when the women will get upset and yell rape.

Does anyone here not know of SEVERAL incidents of women making accusations that at best are highly questionable?

This comes on the heals of criticizing Rudolph. Liberals screw up everything good.

It could be worse, look how the wingnuts support assault of women.

Both are ridiculous.

One side wants to freely grab ***** and the other wants to put you in jail for simply asking them out.

I've been jokingly calling baby it's cold outside "the rape song" for years.

Girl "I gotta go"
Guy "nah, it's cold, let me get you more drunk"

Yeah, let's compare that too emphasizing physical beauty or that other example. Totally the same thing. Lmao. Dolts

I enjoy it when my husband is schmoozing me, did so before we were married. A lot of women like to be schmoozed. Give women credit, not all of us are feeble and helpless little fawns. It is not like the guy is hogtying her to the bedpost, and/ or forcing her to gulp her drink.

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.

As my mom used to say

What was Rudolph criticized for?

Was it his communist colored nose?

Not Rudolf but Santa and the other reindeer.

Excluding someone from social activities because of their appearance only to change their mind because he had something they needed.

Not Rudolf but Santa and the other reindeer.

Excluding someone from social activities because of their appearance only to change their mind because he had something they needed.

That makes more sense. People have to have something to be upset about, and I will bet that each of those people have done the exact same thing somewhere in their life.

That is why thousands of radio stations play this song....

because no one wants to hear it.

I enjoy it when my husband is schmoozing me, did so before we were married. A lot of women like to be schmoozed. Give women credit, not all of us are feeble and helpless little fawns. It is not like the guy is hogtying her to the bedpost, and/ or forcing her to gulp her drink.

true

he is only grabbing her and tearing off her clothes.

No biggie

For some, asking a woman to stay is the same as a violent sexual assault.

Buble (modern) version

Original version from the 1949 romantic comedy, Neptune's Daughter

My thoughts:
  • Of all the things that radio station may do, its decision to dis-/include on its playlists "Baby It's Cold Outside" isn't among them.
  • I'm a bit surprised that Fox, or any news outlet would bother to report the station's decision not to play the ditty.
  • I find nothing #MeToo-worthy to which one might object in the lyrics.
  • The portrayal in the original version's video shows the man exhibiting a general, albeit nonviolent, disregard of the lady's wishes. The male character's behavior likely, and somewhat legitimately, is something to which #MeToo acolytes may object.
    • The second half of the original has a lady mimicking the behavior of the man in the first half; however, the character in the first half both seem rather "good catches," as it were, whereas only the woman does in the second half. (I haven't seen the film, so I am basing that only on what I see in the video.) I'm of the mind that neither "aggressor," by today's standards, comports him-/herself decorously.

If the OP isn't a joke, the I agree, such a reaction is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom