• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baba Boxer blames global warming

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
I was waiting for this.:lol:

“This is climate change. We were warned about extreme weather: Not just hot weather, but extreme weather. When I had my hearings, when I had the gavel years ago — it’s been a while — the scientists all agreed that what we’d start to see was extreme weather,” she said, despite reports that global warming stopped in 1998.
“Carbon could cost us the planet,” she added. “The least we could do is put a little charge on it so people move to clean energy.”
“You’re going to have tornadoes and all the rest. We need to protect our people,” Boxer said, without explaining how an additional tax would end severe weather.
“That’s our No. 1 obligation and we have to deal with this threat that is upon us and that is gonna get worse and worse through the years," she added.

Barbara Boxer blames global warming for Oklahoma tornado, calls for carbon tax - National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com

More scare tactics ending in "we need to tax you more."

“This is climate change. We were warned about extreme weather: Not just hot weather, but extreme weather. When I had my hearings, when I had the gavel years ago — it’s been a while — the scientists all agreed that what we’d start to see was extreme weather,” she said, despite reports that global warming stopped in 1998.
“Carbon could cost us the planet,” she added. “The least we could do is put a little charge on it so people move to clean energy.”
“You’re going to have tornadoes and all the rest. We need to protect our people,” Boxer said, without explaining how an additional tax would end severe weather.
“That’s our No. 1 obligation and we have to deal with this threat that is upon us and that is gonna get worse and worse through the years," she added.

Barbara Boxer blames global warming for Oklahoma tornado, calls for carbon tax - National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com

She has the backing of every scientific organization on Earth when she declares anthropogenic global warming real.

Boxer is carrying it one step beyond science, however: "We must do something, so let's pass another tax!"

That seems to be the government's answer to everything: Pass another tax and increase the size and power of government.

She has the backing of every scientific organization on Earth when she declares anthropogenic global warming real.

Boxer is carrying it one step beyond science, however: "We must do something, so let's pass another tax!"

That seems to be the government's answer to everything: Pass another tax and increase the size and power of government.

So you are agreeing with her this tornado is a result of AGW? Consider this before you answer.

"Despite the deadly tornadoes plaguing Moore, Okla., and other cities in the Midwest and Plains, forecasters say so far the 2013 tornado season has been fairly quiet."

"According to the National Severe Storms Laboratory, this year marks the longest the United States has gone into the month of May without seeing an EF1 or stronger tornado.

They say a cool spring has kept the number of tornadoes down so far and that typically the tornado season begins in the Midwest about a month earlier than it did this year."

Forecasters Say 2013 Tornado Season Fairly Quiet - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

So you are agreeing with her this tornado is a result of AGW? Consider this before you answer.

"Despite the deadly tornadoes plaguing Moore, Okla., and other cities in the Midwest and Plains, forecasters say so far the 2013 tornado season has been fairly quiet."

"According to the National Severe Storms Laboratory, this year marks the longest the United States has gone into the month of May without seeing an EF1 or stronger tornado.

They say a cool spring has kept the number of tornadoes down so far and that typically the tornado season begins in the Midwest about a month earlier than it did this year."

Forecasters Say 2013 Tornado Season Fairly Quiet - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

I don't know whether the recent tornadoes were a result of global warming or not.

Extreme weather is a predicted result of global warming, and the tornadoes looked pretty extreme to me, but, on the other hand, there is a reason why that area is called "tornado alley.".

A predicted result of any disaster is the federal government trying to fix it and making things worse, however.

It always amuses me when man made global warming fairy tale believers try to blame naturally occurring weather on man made climate change.

Newsweek in 1975: Tornadoes result of 'global cooling' | The Daily Caller

Last edited:
The problem with the whole "Global warming can cause extreme weather" thing is that you then have people like Boxer who want to claim that it's "Global Warming" EVERY TIME there's "Extreme Weather".

"Extreme Weather" occured on this planet prior to man. It occured on this planet prior to the industrial revolution. It occured on this planet prior to the past few decades. Even significant changes in weather patterns....significantly under performing years or over performing years with hurricanes for example....have a historic happening prior to the notion of global warming.

So yes, while there's a possability it may have played into any "extreme weather" event or circumstance, there's no definitive proof that any specific "Extreme weather" event happened BECAUSE of Global Warming and would not have occured despite it.

This is a case of Boxer using a "fact" to present numerous ASSUMPTIONS as if they're also facts.

Needless to say these politicians wont let the facts get in the way of a good soundbite. In point of fact according to NOAA records despite this latest catastrophic tornado, the overall trend for such events is down since the 'cooler' 70s

EF3-EF5.jpg

Last edited:
More scare tactics ending in "we need to tax you more."

Not enough to just “Like” this post. Really, this says it all about the whole “Global Warming/Climate Change” hoax. This is what it is all about. Well, almost. It's not just about taxation, but an excuse for a massive, unprecedented, destructive expansion of government.

The Emperor is naked.

I don't know whether the recent tornadoes were a result of global warming or not.

Extreme weather is a predicted result of global warming, and the tornadoes looked pretty extreme to me, but, on the other hand, there is a reason why that area is called "tornado alley.".

A.

Well since there hasn't been any global warming in about 10 years, it would not be logical to attribute this to global warming would it?

The 'extreme weather' predictions are almost impossible to verify since accurate baseline data just don't exist. For example- I'm sure the ability to track and classify tornadoes hurricanes is far different than it was even 30 years ago. and what objective criterai exist for drought and floods?

Well since there hasn't been any global warming in about 10 years, it would not be logical to attribute this to global warming would it?

The 'extreme weather' predictions are almost impossible to verify since accurate baseline data just don't exist. For example- I'm sure the ability to track and classify tornadoes hurricanes is far different than it was even 30 years ago. and what objective criterai exist for drought and floods?

When you buy into the claims of the right wing blogs that there hasn't been any global warming for the past ten years, then your opinion seems correct. However, the fact still remains that the past decade was the warmest on record. No scientific organization is claiming that global warming is stopping. Only the silly bloggers are claiming such a thing.

As for weather records, they've been kept for quite some time now. Of course, if you're going back to the age of dinosaurs or something, then there is no way of knowing about extremes of temperature, floods, drought, and so on. Back a hundred and fifty years, however, there are such records.

When you buy into the claims of the right wing blogs that there hasn't been any global warming for the past ten years, then your opinion seems correct.

I'm sure the thermometers dont care about 'right wing blogs' ! :roll:

However, the fact still remains that the past decade was the warmest on record.

Given the limited timescale of our truly accurate records thats hardly significant

As for weather records, they've been kept for quite some time now. Of course, if you're going back to the age of dinosaurs or something, then there is no way of knowing about extremes of temperature, floods, drought, and so on. Back a hundred and fifty years, however, there are such records.

Given the weather event in question in the OP was a tornado its clear from the NOAA records I posted earlier that the incidence such severe events has actually declined in recent decades

When you buy into the claims of the right wing blogs that there hasn't been any global warming for the past ten years, then your opinion seems correct. However, the fact still remains that the past decade was the warmest on record. No scientific organization is claiming that global warming is stopping. Only the silly bloggers are claiming such a thing.

Ditto you really need to try and get real info and stop repeating old garbage. The warmers themselves are trying to come up with explanations as to why the earth has not warmed as predicted so that is not just right wing blog stuff. I have heard everything from "the ocean is storing the heat at very deep levels" to "the sun has been in a lull'. The warmer scientist themselves are desperately calling it a "pause in warming'. seriously bud, try to keep up. Heres a good link specifying how the lack of warming was measured and by who it was measured, not right wing stuff at all.

CLEVELAND - There are three agencies around the globe that are the keepers of global temperature numbers. The first is NASA. The second is the University of Huntsville in Alabama (satellite temperature records). The third is the University of East Anglia's Climate Research Unit, the UK Met, as it is known.Last week, the UK Met released its latest global temperature data to the world. It shows that the Earth has not warmed in 15 years. The warming ceased after the great super El Nino of 1998.The numbers are based on readings from more than 30,000 measuring stations around the planet. The data was quietly released last week without fanfare and it confirms that the rising trend in world temperatures ended in 1997.

So, what does this mean for those scientists advocating the Global Warming/Climate Change Theory? In 2007, the UK Met Office claimed that global warming was about to "come roaring back." It said that between 2004 and 2014 there would be an overall increase in global temperature of 0.3C.

In 2009, it predicted that at least three of the years 2009 to 2014 would break the previous temperature record set in 1998. This has not happened.

These warming predictions are based on the outputs of computer forecast known as Global Climate Models (GCMs). None of the GCMs have seen nor predicted the lack of warming over the past 15 years, even as CO2 levels continue to rise.

The Met Office was relying on the same computer models that are being undermined by the current pause in global-warming.

Read more: United Kingdom Meteorology Office declares Earth hasn't warmed in 15 years

I'm always amazed at the foolish lengths you guys go to avoid looking like a total duffus when it comes to climate change. You are totally wrong about the last decade 2010 was the warmest year ever recorded on the planet.

NASA had already said last week that for the contiguous United States, 2012 was the warmest year ever recorded. The hottest years on record for the planet, it said, were 2005 and 2010.

“One more year of numbers isn’t in itself significant,” said Gavin Schmidt, a climatologist at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies in a statement. “What matters is this decade is warmer than the last decade, and that decade was warmer than the decade before. The planet is warming. The reason it’s warming is because we are pumping increasing amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.”
2012 Was 9th Warmest Year on Record, Says NASA - ABC News

I'm always amazed at the foolish lengths you guys go to avoid looking like a total duffus when it comes to climate change. You are totally wrong about the last decade 2010 was the warmest year ever recorded on the planet.

Nope it was 1998 according to virtually every legitimate source available. Perhaps the most reliable being the UAH satellite monitoring

UAH_LT_1979_thru_Apr_2013_v5_5.jpg

Nope it was 1998 according to virtually every legitimate source available. Perhaps the most reliable being the UAH satellite monitoring

View attachment 67147795

But no source cited...like I said give it up and take the hit now. You are only going to look more and more foolish.
Even my old eyes can see the trend on that tiny graph you posted. Every decade is warmer than the previous, like NASA says

Last-Climate-Change-Denier.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Good grief ! Its stopped get over it. :roll:

Latest Global Temps « Roy Spencer, PhD

No one from the Heartland conference please. They have been discontinued for junk science violations.

Here's a quote from Dr. Spencer "renowned scientist".

Spencer wrote, "I finally became convinced that the theory of creation actually had a much better scientific basis than the theory of evolution, for the creation model was actually better able to explain the physical and biological complexity in the world.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Prove the UAH plot is junk science then ? :lamo

Meanwhile here is some more 'junk' science for you to dismiss corroborating the UAH measurements from Spencers site

Satellite Global Temperature

Its stopped so why do you need to believe it hasnt ?

I'm tired and this says it all.......(From the above link)

Remember: nine of the ten hottest years on record have been in the past decade, there have been vast declines in Arctic and Antarctic sea ice, a corresponding rise in sea level, glacial retreats, more devastating wildfires, wilder weather, and, of course, an increase in denial in all these things.

The truth is, the planet is warming up and we’re the cause. As I have to state over and again, there is no scientific controversy about this. The only arguing going is manufactured ideologically by people who cannot back up their claims with real science. They rely on smoke and mirrors, and where there’s smoke…well.

Tip o’ the thermometer to real climate scientist Michael Mann, and Dana Nuccitelli from the fantastic Skeptical Science site for their help with this.

Last edited:
I'm tired and this says it all.......(From the above link)

No it doesnt in the context of the last 4 millenia today is very normal in both level and rate of change. (Kobashi 2011 Ice core temperature data)

4000yearsgreenland_nov2011_gprl.jpg

You seem to have an almost pathological need to believe the sky must be falling even when it has been amply demonstrated for you that it isnt . Why is that ? :roll:

Last edited:
Ditto you really need to try and get real info and stop repeating old garbage. The warmers themselves are trying to come up with explanations as to why the earth has not warmed as predicted so that is not just right wing blog stuff. I have heard everything from "the ocean is storing the heat at very deep levels" to "the sun has been in a lull'. The warmer scientist themselves are desperately calling it a "pause in warming'. seriously bud, try to keep up. Heres a good link specifying how the lack of warming was measured and by who it was measured, not right wing stuff at all.

CLEVELAND - There are three agencies around the globe that are the keepers of global temperature numbers. The first is NASA. The second is the University of Huntsville in Alabama (satellite temperature records). The third is the University of East Anglia's Climate Research Unit, the UK Met, as it is known.Last week, the UK Met released its latest global temperature data to the world. It shows that the Earth has not warmed in 15 years. The warming ceased after the great super El Nino of 1998.The numbers are based on readings from more than 30,000 measuring stations around the planet. The data was quietly released last week without fanfare and it confirms that the rising trend in world temperatures ended in 1997.

So, what does this mean for those scientists advocating the Global Warming/Climate Change Theory? In 2007, the UK Met Office claimed that global warming was about to "come roaring back." It said that between 2004 and 2014 there would be an overall increase in global temperature of 0.3C.

In 2009, it predicted that at least three of the years 2009 to 2014 would break the previous temperature record set in 1998. This has not happened.

These warming predictions are based on the outputs of computer forecast known as Global Climate Models (GCMs). None of the GCMs have seen nor predicted the lack of warming over the past 15 years, even as CO2 levels continue to rise.

The Met Office was relying on the same computer models that are being undermined by the current pause in global-warming.

Read more: United Kingdom Meteorology Office declares Earth hasn't warmed in 15 years

OK, once again:

NOAA: Past Decade Warmest on Record According to Scientists in 48 Countries

The 2009 State of the Climate report released today draws on data for 10 key climate indicators that all point to the same finding: the scientific evidence that our world is warming is unmistakable. More than 300 scientists from 160 research groups in 48 countries contributed to the report, which confirms that the past decade was the warmest on record and that the Earth has been growing warmer over the last 50 years.

The "cooling" and "pause in global warming" is just crap made up by right wing bloggers. There is no scientific basis for any of it.

The "cooling" and "pause in global warming" is just crap made up by right wing bloggers. There is no scientific basis for any of it.

This has been amply addressed already so if you wont read what gets presented to you then stop wasting everyones time flagwaving. We have more than enough of those here already :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom