• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

B.O Isn't "Familiar" With the House Bill.

Realist1

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
With Trillions of American Taxpayers money involved,,,,Somebody should be.:roll:

Morning Bell: Obama Admits He’s “Not Familiar” With House Bill - The Foundry

With the public’s trust in his handling of health care tanking (50%-44% of Americans disapprove), the White House has launched a new phase of its strategy designed to pass Obamacare: all Obama, all the time. As part of that effort, Obama hosted a conference call with leftist bloggers urging them to pressure Congress to pass his health plan as soon as possible.

During the call, a blogger from Maine said he kept running into an Investors Business Daily article that claimed Section 102 of the House health legislation would outlaw private insurance. He asked: “Is this true? Will people be able to keep their insurance and will insurers be able to write new policies even though H.R. 3200 is passed?” President Obama replied: “You know, I have to say that I am not familiar with the provision you are talking about.” (quote begins at 17:10)

This is a truly disturbing admission by the President, especially considering that later in the call, Obama promises yet again: “If you have health insurance, and you like it, and you have a doctor that you like, then you can keep it. Period.” How can Obama keep making this promise if he is not familiar with the health legislation that is being written in Congress? Details matter.

It's YOUR Money...:lol:

Last edited:
He's just like most of the other dolts on Capitol Hill, they're clueless as to what is really in the Bill. The only ones that know what's in it are the ones who created it. The rest are just going to pass it to make themselves look good in front of the camera, so they can say "I helped provide healthcare for the needy!"

He's just like most of the other dolts on Capitol Hill, they're clueless as to what is really in the Bill. The only ones that know what's in it are the ones who created it. The rest are just going to pass it to make themselves look good in front of the camera, so they can say "I helped provide healthcare for the needy!"

That's the part that should scare the Hell out of ALL of us...Who is "Writing" these Bills the Buffoons want to pass?:roll:

The Media sure hasn't a clue. :censored

Peace.

H.R. 3200: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 (GovTrack.us)

The Bill's sponsor is Rep. John Dingle (D-MI15). The 8 co-sponsors are:

Rep. Robert Andrews [D-NJ1]
Rep. Dale Kildee [D-MI5]
Rep. Carolyn Maloney [D-NY14]
Rep. George Miller [D-CA7]
Rep. Frank Pallone [D-NJ6]
Rep. Charles Rangel [D-NY15]
Rep. Fortney Stark [D-CA13]
Rep. Henry Waxman [D-CA30]

They're all from California, Michigan, New Jersey and New York, and they all just happen to be Democrats. I've heard of and know about Waxman, Dingle and Rangel. Three fellas to keep a sharp eye out for. <.<

Obama is in a massive hurry to pass a bill he hasn't even read.

And there are actually people right here on this very message board who support this?

Your linking to a posting from the Heritage Foundation? Could you be any more dishonest?

H.R. 3200: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 (GovTrack.us)

The Bill's sponsor is Rep. John Dingle (D-MI15). The 8 co-sponsors are:

Rep. Robert Andrews [D-NJ1]
Rep. Dale Kildee [D-MI5]
Rep. Carolyn Maloney [D-NY14]
Rep. George Miller [D-CA7]
Rep. Frank Pallone [D-NJ6]
Rep. Charles Rangel [D-NY15]
Rep. Fortney Stark [D-CA13]
Rep. Henry Waxman [D-CA30]

They're all from California, Michigan, New Jersey and New York, and they all just happen to be Democrats. I've heard of and know about Waxman, Dingle and Rangel. Three fellas to keep a sharp eye out for. <.<

Since I'm "New",,, I'll keep a civil tongue. Not one creature mentioned in the list, would rate being classified as fertilizer in my opinion.

Thanks, and take care.

Your linking to a posting from the Heritage Foundation? Could you be any more dishonest?

I believe I saw this same thing on the Today Show this morning, as well, and the local Fairbanks News station (KTVF). But I can't remember rightly, busy morning. :mrgreen: So it's in more than just the Heritage Foundation.

Every important bill these days from the Patriot Act to the Stimulus are much too massive to actually read. It's a problem of our govnerment, and I wouldn't expect it to get solved any time soon

Yeah,,,I've noticed that Reality has that effect on Liberals. They aren't used to it. :roll: Instant denial is the standard form....:lol:

With any luck, you'll grow out of it.

Take care Sam.

Obama is in a massive hurry to pass a bill he hasn't even read.

And there are actually people right here on this very message board who support this?

Not anyone of importance,,,or mental skills.:lol:

It's going to be a long time before this is passed, in political terms, and any opposition to any part of the bill will be laid out in full before Congress.

Here's what the guy in the article was asking about, BTW:

SEC. 102. PROTECTING THE CHOICE TO KEEP CURRENT COVERAGE.
(a) Grandfathered Health Insurance Coverage Defined- Subject to the succeeding provisions of this section, for purposes of establishing acceptable coverage under this division, the term ‘grandfathered health insurance coverage’ means individual health insurance coverage that is offered and in force and effect before the first day of Y1 if the following conditions are met:

(1) LIMITATION ON NEW ENROLLMENT-

10(A) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day of Y1.

(B) DEPENDENT COVERAGE PERMITTED- Subparagraph (A) shall not affect the subsequent enrollment of a dependent of an individual who is covered as of such first day.

(2) LIMITATION ON CHANGES IN TERMS OR CONDITIONS- Subject to paragraph (3) and except as required by law, the issuer does not change any of its terms or conditions, including benefits and cost-sharing, from those in effect as of the day before the first day of Y1.

(3) RESTRICTIONS ON PREMIUM INCREASES- The issuer cannot vary the percentage increase in the premium for a risk group of enrollees in specific grandfathered health insurance coverage without changing the premium for all enrollees in the same risk group at the same rate, as specified by the Commissioner.

(b) Grace Period for Current Employment-based Health Plans-

(1) GRACE PERIOD-

(A) IN GENERAL- The Commissioner shall establish a grace period whereby, for plan years beginning after the end of the 5-year period beginning with Y1, an employment-based health plan in operation as of the day before the first day of Y1 must meet the same requirements as apply to a qualified health benefits plan under section 101, including the essential benefit package requirement under section 121.

(B) EXCEPTION FOR LIMITED BENEFITS PLANS- Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to an employment-based health plan in which the coverage consists only of one or more of the following:

(i) Any coverage described in section 3001(a)(1)(B)(ii)(IV) of division B of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Public Law 111-5).

(ii) Excepted benefits (as defined in section 733(c) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974), including coverage under a specified disease or illness policy described in paragraph (3)(A) of such section.

(iii) Such other limited benefits as the Commissioner may specify.

3 In no case shall an employment-based health plan in which the coverage consists only of one or more of the coverage or benefits described in clauses (i) through (iii) be treated as acceptable coverage under this division.

(2) TRANSITIONAL TREATMENT AS ACCEPTABLE COVERAGE- During the grace period specified in paragraph (1)(A), an employment-based health plan that is described in such paragraph shall be treated as acceptable coverage under this division.

(c) Limitation on Individual Health Insurance Coverage-

3(1) IN GENERAL- Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan.

(2) SEPARATE, EXCEPTED COVERAGE PERMITTED- Excepted benefits (as defined in section 2791(c) of the Public Health Service Act) are not included within the definition of health insurance coverage. Nothing in paragraph (1) shall prevent the offering, other than through the Health Insurance Exchange, of excepted benefits so long as it is offered and priced separately from health insurance coverage.

Yeah, it's a massive block of text, but here's what I puzzled out of it:

-You stay insured, but your insurer has to meet the standards of the bill within five years

-Terms and conditions of the insurance stay the same, but premiums can apparently increase as long as they're raised for every member of a certain "risk group"

-Certain types of coverage are excepted from the changes (the kinds already monitored by government agencies), and I'd do more research on said exceptions were the site I using not using most of my internet power just to navigate through one bill

All in all, it looks like current coverage is safe for at least five years but new coverage can't happen (with some exceptions). I'd prefer we focused on making the population healthier first, but with the rest of the industrialized world using it (and mostly avoiding Canadian nightmare scenarios), I doubt it's going to hurt as much as most people think.

It's going to be a long time before this is passed, in political terms, and any opposition to any part of the bill will be laid out in full before Congress.

Here's what the guy in the article was asking about, BTW:

SEC. 102. PROTECTING THE CHOICE TO KEEP CURRENT COVERAGE.
(a) Grandfathered Health Insurance Coverage Defined- Subject to the succeeding provisions of this section, for purposes of establishing acceptable coverage under this division, the term ‘grandfathered health insurance coverage’ means individual health insurance coverage that is offered and in force and effect before the first day of Y1 if the following conditions are met:

(1) LIMITATION ON NEW ENROLLMENT-

10(A) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day of Y1.

(B) DEPENDENT COVERAGE PERMITTED- Subparagraph (A) shall not affect the subsequent enrollment of a dependent of an individual who is covered as of such first day.

(2) LIMITATION ON CHANGES IN TERMS OR CONDITIONS- Subject to paragraph (3) and except as required by law, the issuer does not change any of its terms or conditions, including benefits and cost-sharing, from those in effect as of the day before the first day of Y1.

(3) RESTRICTIONS ON PREMIUM INCREASES- The issuer cannot vary the percentage increase in the premium for a risk group of enrollees in specific grandfathered health insurance coverage without changing the premium for all enrollees in the same risk group at the same rate, as specified by the Commissioner.

(b) Grace Period for Current Employment-based Health Plans-

(1) GRACE PERIOD-

(A) IN GENERAL- The Commissioner shall establish a grace period whereby, for plan years beginning after the end of the 5-year period beginning with Y1, an employment-based health plan in operation as of the day before the first day of Y1 must meet the same requirements as apply to a qualified health benefits plan under section 101, including the essential benefit package requirement under section 121.

(B) EXCEPTION FOR LIMITED BENEFITS PLANS- Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to an employment-based health plan in which the coverage consists only of one or more of the following:

(i) Any coverage described in section 3001(a)(1)(B)(ii)(IV) of division B of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Public Law 111-5).

(ii) Excepted benefits (as defined in section 733(c) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974), including coverage under a specified disease or illness policy described in paragraph (3)(A) of such section.

(iii) Such other limited benefits as the Commissioner may specify.

3 In no case shall an employment-based health plan in which the coverage consists only of one or more of the coverage or benefits described in clauses (i) through (iii) be treated as acceptable coverage under this division.

(2) TRANSITIONAL TREATMENT AS ACCEPTABLE COVERAGE- During the grace period specified in paragraph (1)(A), an employment-based health plan that is described in such paragraph shall be treated as acceptable coverage under this division.

(c) Limitation on Individual Health Insurance Coverage-

3(1) IN GENERAL- Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan.

(2) SEPARATE, EXCEPTED COVERAGE PERMITTED- Excepted benefits (as defined in section 2791(c) of the Public Health Service Act) are not included within the definition of health insurance coverage. Nothing in paragraph (1) shall prevent the offering, other than through the Health Insurance Exchange, of excepted benefits so long as it is offered and priced separately from health insurance coverage.

Yeah, it's a massive block of text, but here's what I puzzled out of it:

-You stay insured, but your insurer has to meet the standards of the bill within five years

-Terms and conditions of the insurance stay the same, but premiums can apparently increase as long as they're raised for every member of a certain "risk group"

-Certain types of coverage are excepted from the changes (the kinds already monitored by government agencies), and I'd do more research on said exceptions were the site I using not using most of my internet power just to navigate through one bill

All in all, it looks like current coverage is safe for at least five years but new coverage can't happen (with some exceptions). I'd prefer we focused on making the population healthier first, but with the rest of the industrialized world using it (and mostly avoiding Canadian nightmare scenarios), I doubt it's going to hurt as much as most people think.

The "Bill' isn't complete yet...According to the Democrats.:lol: If you doubt me, call your Liberal "Representative". They "Change" their Story from hour to hour.:spin:

Every important bill these days from the Patriot Act to the Stimulus are much too massive to actually read. It's a problem of our govnerment, and I wouldn't expect it to get solved any time soon

I mean, how could Obama be expected to know the answer to that particular question?

He doesn't know if insurance companies will be allowed to write new policies?Gimme a break. Of course, the answer is that they won't, which he didn't want to say. THIS part of the bill he is very familiar with.

Last edited:
I mean, how could Obama be expected to know the answer to that particular question?

He doesn't know if insurance companies will be allowed to write new policies?Gimme a break. Of course, the answer is that they won't, which he didn't want to say. THIS part of the bill he is very familiar with.

He's a Lawyer from Chicago...:3oops: The Liberal Cesspool of the Midwest. A "Community Organizer"...:roll: He's never held a Job in his entire Life. That's Reality. Deal with it.:mrgreen:

Last edited:

Given the size of these bills, I'm amazed anyone is remotely familiar with 10% of the bill.

Watch Russ Carnahan get heckled. This is great. It's obvious what Americans are thinking about the so-called healthcare reform.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgalO6T6jfI"]YouTube - Carnahan heckled re savings in health care plan[/ame]

I don't see why the President would have to be intimately familiar with a bill that is still being debated.

I don't see why the President would have to be intimately familiar with a bill that is still being debated.

He needs to be intimently familiar with it, because he says the time for debate is over; the bill needs to be passed, now. If he's no more familiar with the content than that, then obviously, now isn't the time to pass the bill.

Bill Kristol was on FNC recently and said that the bill won't take affect until 2013. If that's true, then it's a perfect political shell game. He's planning on the bill getting cranked up after he is re-elected--hopes he's re-elected, anyway. If it's such an emergency, why wait for years? He knows it's a flop. He knows that if the bill kicked in before the 2012 election, he need not bother even running.

Because he is adamantly supporting it.

Someone who is supporting and calling for the quick approval of a new bill that is going to cost drastic amounts of money, and make major changes in something as important as healthcare, should probably know what is in all versions of that bill. That would be their primary responsibility.

Because he is adamantly supporting it.

Someone who is supporting and calling for the quick approval of a new bill that is going to cost drastic amounts of money, and make major changes in something as important as healthcare, should probably know what is in all versions of that bill. That would be their primary responsibility.

He is not "supporting it" until it passes. These bills are quite large, are changed daily before they are passed, and if the president had the time to stay current on what is in the bill, I would question whether he was doing the rest of his job.

He is not "supporting it" until it passes. These bills are quite large, are changed daily before they are passed, and if the president had the time to stay current on what is in the bill, I would question whether he was doing the rest of his job.

OMG! I can't believe you just said that :rofl

Back
Top Bottom