• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AZ Senate vote count - GOP sues to limit count.

AZCardsfan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I was born and raised in AZ. I grew up hearing of the sacrifices made to give us freedom and how important it is to exercise your right to vote. I believe every American citizen should have that right to vote and also to have that vote counted regardless of political leanings.

What's the sense of having the right to vote if it's not counted? Whats going on in AZ and elsewhere really irritates the hell out of me. It seems like the past couple decade the right tries it best to only count votes that they think will go their way.

arizona-gop-sues-limit-mail-ballots-senate-race

The lawsuit alleges that signature verification must stop when polls close, and seeks an injunction to stop the counting of such ballots that have been verified after then. It's unclear how many of these votes still remain outstanding, but the suit singles out the state's two biggest urban counties, the center of support for Sinema.

What are your thoughts of the story above? The singling out two counties that are believed to be support areas for Sinema shows clear intent. I believe every single voter who voted, and mailed their ballot before the deadline should have their vote verified and counted, regardless how long it takes the election officials to do so.

That’s messed up.

That’s messed up.

It is, but according to the article R's complained about this pre election saying they would sue if no action was taken to correct it, none apparently was. So this should not be a shock to anyone familiar with it. It also says that the way AZ does the mail in ballots typically gum up the process. Sounds like reforming the system is in order. Hopefully the parties can work together on a solution.

I was born and raised in AZ. I grew up hearing of the sacrifices made to give us freedom and how important it is to exercise your right to vote. I believe every American citizen should have that right to vote and also to have that vote counted regardless of political leanings.

What's the sense of having the right to vote if it's not counted? Whats going on in AZ and elsewhere really irritates the hell out of me. It seems like the past couple decade the right tries it best to only count votes that they think will go their way.

What are your thoughts of the story above? The singling out two counties that are believed to be support areas for Sinema shows clear intent. I believe every single voter who voted, and mailed their ballot before the deadline should have their vote verified and counted, regardless how long it takes the election officials to do so.

Voter suppression and redistricting has a long history in the south, but Repubs are now spreading it across America. This underhanded act will be relied on more and more each year as our county's demographics continue to diversify.

Stopping Americans from exercising their constitutional right to vote is un-American, but an easy choice once you start believing that the ends justifies the means...

It is, but according to the article R's complained about this pre election saying they would sue if no action was taken to correct it, none apparently was. So this should not be a shock to anyone familiar with it. It also says that the way AZ does the mail in ballots typically gum up the process. Sounds like reforming the system is in order. Hopefully the parties can work together on a solution.

Then sort it after, that shoudln't prevent votes from people being counted. If you limit voting areas and times, it's pretty hypocritical to then claim people shouldn't be able to vote after a certain time. In most places it has always been, if you are in the doors to the voting place you are allowed to vote.

If the ballot was in by the deadline and certified proper it should be counted!
Even if the count is on going. Never heard anything so crazy as this.

This is the best summation of the entire situation that I've run across so far.

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1060189466474635265

And the Maricopa County top election official's response to the lawsuit: "Bring it".

Just more of Republicans taking their electoral contests to court to prevent a straight-up fight.

Then sort it after, that shoudln't prevent votes from people being counted. If you limit voting areas and times, it's pretty hypocritical to then claim people shouldn't be able to vote after a certain time. In most places it has always been, if you are in the doors to the voting place you are allowed to vote.

Personally I say count them.

But you are wrong when you say sort it out later. It should of been done before the elections like Republicans tried to do. Dems didn't want to and kept the flawed system with its flawed rules that the Reps are now enforcing.

It also says it's been done this way for years. Why did they the GOP only complain and threaten this year? Could it be because the polls showed a close race? The higher than expected voter turnout is also the cause of delays.

It's one window into the complexities of mail ballots and the so-called "late earlies" that arrive just before Election Day and regularly gum up the state's vote counting system.

This election featured heavy statewide turnout of about 60 percent, more in line with a presidential election than a midterm — part of the reason county registrars were overloaded with uncounted ballots.

AZ Senate vote count - GOP sues to limit count.

not surprising. the GOP needs voter suppression to win.

Personally I say count them.

But you are wrong when you say sort it out later. It should of been done before the elections like Republicans tried to do. Dems didn't want to and kept the flawed system with its flawed rules that the Reps are now enforcing.

I said sort it out later because the votes are in and those votes should count. That's the problem is Republicans want to disenfranchise voters.

Without doing much research I am inclined to think that if this how Az has done it historically and the Az GOP was cognizant enough to complain pre-election a judge is going to say they should have sued pre-election. Not sure there is much chance of said lawsuit going anywhere.

Count the votes. Bet if it gets to the point where the votes are counted, the Az GOP will promptly drop its lawsuit.

It also says it's been done this way for years. Why did they the GOP only complain and threaten this year? Could it be because the polls showed a close race? The higher than expected voter turnout is also the cause of delays.

If there was supposed to be higher turnout then the problem should of been fixed pre election like the GOP wanted. The democrats inaction is shameful and could result in votes not being counted

October 26th was the last day to request an early ballot mailed to you. The ballot needs to be in the possession of the recorder by election day. The idea is that since early ballots require signature verification the process can take a while. In theory, the majority of early ballots will be verified early so on election day all you have to do is check on the last few to come in and count the votes.

In Maricopa County there were 472,000 "early" ballots that came in either on election day or just before. Bear in mind that 472,000 ballots is roughly 1/3 of all the ballots. To say that's unusual would be an understatement.

I said sort it out later because the votes are in and those votes should count. That's the problem is Republicans want to disenfranchise voters.

The GOP wanted it resolved pre election. The Democrats inaction is why their votes may not count.

If there was supposed to be higher turnout then the problem should of been fixed pre election like the GOP wanted. The democrats inaction is shameful and could result in votes not being counted

Complaining won't count as a point FOR the Az GOP in a courtroom. If anything it will be the thing that sinks their chances. "So this is how its been for years and all you have done is raised an eyebrow before this particular election and now you want me to allow this lawsuit to go forward after the election?"

My opinion, that Brief gets tossed out onto the courthouse steps and it does not take long to find its way there either.

The GOP wanted it resolved pre election. The Democrats inaction is why their votes may not count.

Puhhlease, just look at North Dakota to see Republican efforts for voter suppression. Sorry but Republicans just show why they need to be voted out and permanently kept out.

Puhhlease, just look at North Dakota to see Republican efforts for voter suppression. Sorry but Republicans just show why they need to be voted out and permanently kept out.
Leaving the lazy asshat dems who did nothing to prevent this situation when they had a chance. Typical democrats not wanting the laws to apply to them.

Of course the republicans are suing to not count votes.

That is what they do, they are all for the rule of law...until they aren't.

Leaving the lazy asshat dems who did nothing to prevent this situation when they had a chance. Typical democrats not wanting the laws to apply to them.

It's been done that way for years but all of a sudden RIGHT before the election REpublicans have a problem with it.

The best I can surmise would be that a judge might allow the lawsuit to go forward but would not restrain the votes from this year's election from being counted. That part of any Brief whether part of or all of the Brief gets summarily dismissed IMO.

Without seeing the Brief, I can't tell what if anything is built around trying to contend that the votes should not be counted. But if the entire Brief contends that the votes from this year should not be counted, thats going nowhere IMO.

We're supposed to be IGNORING THIS? From your link:

The suit filed Wednesday by four county Republican parties alleges that the state's 15 county recorders don't follow a uniform standard for allowing voters to adjust problems with their mail-in ballots, and that two counties improperly allow those fixes after Election Day.

The GOP is SUING TO STOP THE FRAUDOCRATS FROM "MAKING UP THE LAW" as they go....AGAIN.

More "hanging chad" bull**** from the Fraudocrats….

Last edited:
We're supposed to be IGNORING THIS? From your link:

The suit filed Wednesday by four county Republican parties alleges that the state's 15 county recorders don't follow a uniform standard for allowing voters to adjust problems with their mail-in ballots, and that two counties improperly allow those fixes after Election Day.

The GOP is SUING TO STOP THE FRAUDOCRATS FROM "MAKING UP THE LAW" as they go....AGAIN.

More "hanging chad" bull**** from the Fraudocrats….

So if my mail in ballot isn't counted until after polls close and they a need to verify my identity my vote then gets thrown out. Considering current practices have been going on for at least a decade and also no complaints by the GOP when counting lasted more than 12 days in 2012 and into December in 2014. I guess in those two elections everything was fine and dandy because a Democrat didn't have the chance to win the seat. I guess your vote only matters if you vote a certain way.

Back
Top Bottom