• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

Napoleon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The Supreme Court is expected to hand down several rulings Monday, two of which have the potential to drastically expand the rights of gays and lesbians in the country.

This could make for the worst Monday in history. Its Monday, have 5 days of work ahead of me, and...oh yeah...I'm a second class citizen. Anxiously awaiting...

This could make for the worst Monday in history. Its Monday, have 5 days of work ahead of me, and...oh yeah...I'm a second class citizen. Anxiously awaiting...

The government doesn't discriminate against gays...

Gays just want to be a "protected class" and have MORE rights than anyone else..

I find anyone who believes the government should protect them from scrutiny to be obnoxious..

The government doesn't discriminate against gays...

Gays just want to be a "protected class" and have MORE rights than anyone else..

I find anyone who believes the government should protect them from scrutiny to be obnoxious..

Nonsense. Having equal rights is not protected.

My question is, WHEN did failure to recognize same-sex marriage BECOME unconstitutional? It wasn't 1789, right?

My question is, WHEN did failure to recognize same-sex marriage BECOME unconstitutional? It wasn't 1789, right?

Try equal protection under the law. Most cite the 14th amendment.

Try equal protection under the law. Most cite the 14th amendment.

Ha, the Equal Protection Clause justifies just about anything and everything.... The Fourteenth Amendment should be repealed and re-wrote in its entirety.

Is there any law stopping a gay from marrying?

That trick doesn't fly. If you could marry the same sex but not the opposite, you'd understand better. But being silly doesn't help you.

Ha, the Equal Protection Clause justifies just about anything and everything.... The Fourteenth Amendment should be repealed and re-wrote in its entirety.

There's a process for that.

That trick doesn't fly. If you could marry the same sex but not the opposite, you'd understand better. But being silly doesn't help you.

I can marry anyone I choose with the proper license...

This isn't an issue of discrimination, it's an issue of the definition of marriage. Until just a few years ago, nobody thought this was in dispute.

So it became unconstitutional in 1868? Do you really believe that?

I believe in equal rights, and I am reasonably sure the constitution supports that.

Second class citizen?

Yeah, I would be upset too if the court made me a second class citizen said my beliefs and vote do not count because it ticks off homosexuals and their supporters with their emotional and warped mantra of "equal rights." Hopefully the SCOTUS will make the right decision and let the states decide marriage for themselves and overturn DOMA under those grounds as well.

It's astounding how democrats use the Equal Protection Clause in an attempt to create protected classes, yet will turn right around and claim illegal aliens have civil liberties which blatantly contradicts the Equal Protection Clause...

Second class citizen?

Yeah, I would be upset too if the court made me a second class citizen said my beliefs and vote do not count because it ticks off homosexuals and their supporters with their emotional and warped mantra of "equal rights." Hopefully the SCOTUS will make the right decision and let the states decide marriage for themselves and overturn DOMA under those grounds as well.

The States should be the only ones deciding...

This isn't an issue of discrimination, it's an issue of the definition of marriage. Until just a few years ago, nobody thought this was in dispute.

Wrong. You are free to define marriage for yourself, but not for others. Not allowing a group the same ability to marry who they love, without justification (so no red herrings like pedophilia or marrying a pet).

I believe in equal rights, and I am reasonably sure the constitution supports that.

OK, but my question is WHEN did the previously well-understood definition of marriage transmorgify itself into unconstitutional discrimination.

The States should be the only ones deciding...

I agree, it should be up to the states. They are the legal entities that recognize marriages.

There's a process for that.

Yay.... I'm shocked you know that considering progressives believe we live in a dictatorship where presidents can dictate at will.

OK, but my question is WHEN did the previously well-understood definition of marriage transmorgify itself into unconstitutional discrimination.

Marriage as been redefined many times throughout history. But again, your free to define it for you and practice it as you and your spouse choose.

Back
Top Bottom