• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Average Canadian spends about $6,000 a year for health care

Would you like Canadian health insurance?

• Yes, $500 a month for health insurance seems like a bargain

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No, are you carzy?

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

How much does the 'average' Canadian pay in a year for public health care?​

About $5,789 — but it depends on what you think 'average' means. What you’ll have more trouble doing is deciding whether that spending represents a good value

Health care is perhaps Canada’s defining obsession. As a nation, we crow about it and complain about it. We deify Tommy Douglas, rage about wait times, fret over private clinics and fight campaigns on minute points of privatization.

But for all the endless studies, Royal Commissions and political bloviating, it can be hard to know how much Canadians actually pay for health care, not as a nation, but as individuals.

If you spent $6,000 a year for an Obamacare insurance plan, you'd get really good health insurance. That's like $500 a month.

Poor people in Canada spend $0 on health care. Poor people in America get Medicaid and spend anywhere from $0 to a couple of hundred.

I'm insured through my job and pay $40 a month for the 7 of us. We have a $10 deductible on doctors visits, prescriptions, etc. I would not like Canadian health insurance. It's way too expensive.

If you spent $6,000 a year for an Obamacare insurance plan, you'd get really good health insurance. That's like $500 a month.
Not really a good comparison because the bulk of health care expenses are from old people, who are already on Medicare, not Obamacare insurance.
I'm insured through my job and pay $40 a month for the 7 of us.
$40 is the amount you see taken out of your paycheck. Your employer pays considerably more than that for your health insurance, which is passed on to you in the form of a lower salary.

I would not like Canadian health insurance. It's way too expensive.
American health insurance is far more expensive. In fact, we spend more on *government* health insurance than Canada does, and in exchange for all that tax money, most of us still don't get government health insurance.
1627687430851.png

I spend that much as a family of 6, a 76 year old, 47, 40, 12, 10, and 7 year old.

No!

And I believe you get what you pay for in a system other than socialized medicine. In socialized medicine poor people get a free ride, somebody else ends up paying more and getting less so that the freeloaders are taken care of.

My wife and I spend on average about 15K for our very good healthcare and have no complaints. I would rather pay more for the best doctors, than get some low budget care like Kaiser or other Obamacare CRAP.

There is a good reason why wealthy Canadians, Japanese, and Europeans come to the USA for care, we still have the best doctors and hospitals...if you are willing to pay for them.

How much does the 'average' Canadian pay in a year for public health care?​

About $5,789 — but it depends on what you think 'average' means. What you’ll have more trouble doing is deciding whether that spending represents a good value

Health care is perhaps Canada’s defining obsession. As a nation, we crow about it and complain about it. We deify Tommy Douglas, rage about wait times, fret over private clinics and fight campaigns on minute points of privatization.

But for all the endless studies, Royal Commissions and political bloviating, it can be hard to know how much Canadians actually pay for health care, not as a nation, but as individuals.

Poor people in Canada spend $0 on health care. Poor people in America get Medicaid and spend anywhere from $0 to a couple of hundred.

I'm insured through my job and pay $40 a month for the 7 of us. We have a $10 deductible on doctors visits, prescriptions, etc. I would not like Canadian health insurance. It's way too expensive.

I've had both hips replaced. The one in '09 involved a five-week wait, the one in '12 was 7 because we'd moved to the sticks. The only out-of-pocket expense involved prescriptions for T3's.
I don't care how much of our taxes are spent on health care. Probably not as much as the US government spends maintaining military bases on Okinawa.

Not really a good comparison because the bulk of health care expenses are from old people, who are already on Medicare, not Obamacare insurance.

$40 is the amount you see taken out of your paycheck. Your employer pays considerably more than that for your health insurance, which is passed on to you in the form of a lower salary.

American health insurance is far more expensive. In fact, we spend more on *government* health insurance than Canada does, and in exchange for all that tax money, most of us still don't get government health insurance.
View attachment 67345478

"$40 is the amount you see taken out of your paycheck. Your employer pays considerably more than that for your health insurance, which is passed on to you in the form of a lower salary."

That isn't true. My job isn't all that unique and I know that my my salary is competitive.

No!

And I believe you get what you pay for in a system other than socialized medicine. In socialized medicine poor people get a free ride, somebody else ends up paying more and getting less so that the freeloaders are taken care of.

My wife and I spend on average about 15K for our very good healthcare and have no complaints. I would rather pay more for the best doctors, than get some low budget care like Kaiser or other Obamacare CRAP.

There is a good reason why wealthy Canadians, Japanese, and Europeans come to the USA for care, we still have the best doctors and hospitals...if you are willing to pay for them.

What company are you with? I've been shopping around.

That isn't true. My job isn't all that unique and I know that my my salary is competitive.

Your salary may be competitive relative to your colleagues, but that's because most of your colleagues are getting employer-provided health insurance (and therefore lower salaries) too.

No!

What's the reason the hospital in Windsor, Ont. births as many Americans as Canadians?

What's the reason the hospital in Windsor, Ont. births as many Americans as Canadians?
Lower costs?
Citizenship for the child in both countries?

Your salary may be competitive relative to your colleagues, but that's because most of your colleagues are getting employer-provided health insurance (and therefore lower salaries) too.
Every union member knows that his benefits in the package come at the cost of wages. They also know that a group of 12,000 in a bargaining unit get a better deal from the insurance company than any individual could. My union benefits included all medical, dental, optical, prescriptions, I forget what-all, and I wouldn't have traded any of it for more salary.

Lower costs?
Lower cost. Does the citizenship angle work in Canada?

What company are you with? I've been shopping around.
We have PPO insurance through my wife's retirement pension plan. We opt for the premium coverage, which I guess would be what Obama called a "Cadillac plan" or Platinum with some descriptions. But most of our costs are due to drug prescriptions, and then after that willing to choose the best doctors and hospitals. What then happens is the larger co-insurance charges always apply, but it is the prescriptions driving most of our expenses which are necessary for my wife being a transplant patient. Max out of pocket for both of us is 10k but then the prescription forumulary is what adds the other usual 5k.

Answering which company is not a simple answer, because the rates are dependent on age, zip code, and which state you are seeking a plan in. Then after that if you want a high detectable plan, like catastrophic insurance, a HMO, a PPO, etc.

A great shopping tool is available on Nerdwallet if you are shopping for private insurance. MOST people are limited to what their employer, union, or pension plan offers, so you have to navigate those choices. Otherwise check out his nerdwallet link, and enter your info to shop and compare in your area.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/hea...ssion_id=3b30ea31-5582-423d-bbb8-29e320fb2460

Lower costs?

If you have dual citizenship, you have to pay American taxes no matter what.

You could wind up paying both American and Canadian taxes.

You'll always have to pay American taxes, no matter where you live.

And that makes dual citizenship for American's prohibitive.

Every union member knows that his benefits in the package come at the cost of wages. They also know that a group of 12,000 in a bargaining unit get a better deal from the insurance company than any individual could.
We can get a better deal with a bargaining unit of 330 million people.

My union benefits included all medical, dental, optical, prescriptions, I forget what-all, and I wouldn't have traded any of it for more salary.
Fair enough, as long as you remember that you're still paying for those things, beyond the small amount that you see deducted from your paycheck.

Lower cost. Does the citizenship angle work in Canada?
Child born here is a Canadian citizen. Parents can apply for Cdn citizen ship (IIRC) when the child turns 18.

If you have dual citizenship, you have to pay American taxes no matter what.

You could wind up paying both American and Canadian taxes.

You'll always have to pay American taxes, no matter where you live.

And that makes dual citizenship for American's prohibitive.

Like the OP, you have no knowledge of our HC or how taxes for US citizens working/living in Canada are filed

Its called "birth tourism" (aka: jus soli) and because Canada, same as the USA, stupidly gives citizenship to any anchor baby child some slob mother wants to drop across a border without any consequences, so it continues.

A lot of the so called "American" mothers coming over to give birth in Canada are Chinese knowing how to game the system, and take advantage of Canada's generous social programs, including later educational benefits. Which is the problem with generous nations which provide citizens with many perks--- we get taken advantage of.

We can get a better deal with a bargaining unit of 330 million people.

Fair enough, as long as you remember that you're still paying for those things, beyond the small amount that you see deducted from your paycheck.
Works for me. I consider medical care a right of citizenship. I'll contribute on behalf of those who can't. Pays off in the long run.

Its called "birth tourism" (aka: jus soli) and because Canada, same as the USA, stupidly gives citizenship to any anchor baby child some slob mother wants to drop across a border without any consequences, so it continues.

A lot of the so called "American" mothers coming over to give birth in Canada are Chinese knowing how to game the system, and take advantage of Canada's generous social programs, including later educational benefits. Which is the problem with generous nations which provide citizens with many perks--- we get taken advantage of.
So-called Americans? Lots of them in Detroit, you reckon?

You gotta keep up
Here is the US legal basis

I have purchased my own policy since 1985. Government "fixes" to healthcare are why it is so expensive now.

As of 2020, there were more than 9.2 million people receiving premium subsidies in the exchanges nationwide, and their average subsidy amount was nearly $500 per month. If you haven’t checked to see if you could get financial assistance with your health insurance, make sure you do so during the open enrollment period for 2021 health coverage.

Look at that. The average monthly payment for Obamacare is the same as the average monthly payment for Canadians.

A lot of the Americans who are on Obamacare are self employed types, auto mechanics, dentists, accountants, etc.

Back
Top Bottom