• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Automatic or manual

Do you prefer manual or automatic?

• I have no idea what you're talking about

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Do you know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission and if so, do you prefer manual or automatic?

I ask because I am amazed at how many people I've run across lately, that can't drive a stick. I guess I just assumed that at some point, everyone learns how - but I'm learning there are a TON of people who can't and who have no desire to learn.

I prefer a manual transmission because it allows me more control of my vehicle - especially in bad weather.

Do you know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission and if so, do you prefer manual or automatic?

I ask because I am amazed at how many people I've run across lately, that can't drive a stick. I guess I just assumed that at some point, everyone learns how - but I'm learning there are a TON of people who can't and who have no desire to learn.

I prefer a manual transmission because it allows me more control of my vehicle - especially in bad weather.

I have never driven a manual car, have driven a motorcycle.
I see no point in buying a car with a manual shifter.

I drove a stick as a kid but I wouldn't want to have to get myself to the hospital with one at age 51

I have never driven a manual car, have driven a motorcycle.
I see no point in buying a car with a manual shifter.

:prof I have a motorcycle license as well.

A manual comes in handy, especially in the snow/ice. /shrug

:prof I have a motorcycle license as well.

A manual comes in handy, especially in the snow/ice. /shrug

wow a libertarian biker chick--where were you when I was single:mrgreen:

My truck has stick shift and I love it.

I can't drive stick; I only learned how to drive an automatic and got my license a couple of years ago.
We have two cars: one automatic, one stick. I can only drive one of them, obviously.
I don't think I'll ever learn to drive manual; some days- many days- even driving my automatic seems too much for me, and I just take the bus instead.
I find driving really difficult and draining. It's not an enjoyable experience to me at all, it's very stressful and frightening, so much so that public transportation often seems preferable.
Of course I live in a big city, with pretty bad traffic, and maybe small-town or country driving would be different. A lot of people here don't drive; sometimes it's faster just to bike or take a bus.

Last edited:
I used to live in Kansas City, so I guess I was used to driving in heavy traffic on a daily basis. It wasn't enjoyable, but it wasn't draining, necessarily - it was just something that you do. I do enjoy a good motorcycle ride though, and living a little further away from the 'big city' makes driving a lot less stressful.

wow a libertarian biker chick--where were you when I was single:mrgreen:

:lol: When you were single, I was probably married.. now, vice versa. ;)

I learned how to drive on a stick, but I was always so nervous driving a stick when I first started driving that I prefer auto.

I prefer automatic, but I can also drive manual (and have driven manual). I'm kinda similar to soccerboy22.

I drove standards for 22 years. During that time automatic transmissions were vastly improved. I don't miss the gridlock crawl with a clutch. Automatics for me now.

I can drive a tractor with 16 gears. I love racing through the gears in a good sports car or a motorcycle. But for everyday driving I'll take an automatic and even then sometimes I like putting it in low and then popping up :devil:

Last edited:
Two boyfriends tried to teach me how to drive stick shift and it just wasn't for me. It's weird how so many of my boyfriends drove manual vehicles...

I can drive stick, I simply prefer not to. Way back when I was learning to drive, close to 30 years ago, stick was the "cheap" option in vehicles, you could get a car less expensive if it was a manual than if it was an automatic. I'd just rather not have to operate any more pedals and levers than I have to when I'm driving.

I prefer stick shift. It gives you better control of the car, it's better on gas, and it's just more fun to drive. No contest.

Same here. It does get old in traffic but I enjoy driving one. Everyone needs to try a 12 cyl sports car with a stick. Even just once. Its a rush.

Back
Top Bottom