• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Authorities release new details about police shooting of Jacob Blake

Metric Mouse

Your hi-top sneakers and your sailor tattoos.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Jacob Blake shooting: Investigators say the officer who shot Jacob Blake has been with the department for 7 years - CNN

In a police call, a dispatcher names Blake and says he "isn't supposed to be there" and that he took the complainant's keys and refused to leave. The dispatcher later explains she doesn't have more details because the caller was "uncooperative."

When officers arrived, they attempted to arrest Blake and used a Taser to try to stop him, the DCI said. Blake then walked around his vehicle, "opened the driver's side door, and leaned forward," the agency said.

During the investigation following the incident, the DCI said Blake admitted he had a knife and authorities later recovered one from the driver's side floorboard of his vehicle. No other weapons were located in the car, investigators said.

Interesting updates to this tragic story. More on the evolving events What we know so far about Wisconsin shooting of Jacob Blake - CNN

I hope this is investigated fully.

Then why not taze him instead?

Why shoot him 7 times?

Just think, if he would have just cooperated with police, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right?

Maybe the officers would have just kneeled on him, or put him in a choke hold or given him a rough ride until he died. Sometimes choices are not as clear cut as we would like.

Maybe the officers would have just kneeled on him, or put him in a choke hold or given him a rough ride until he died. Sometimes choices are not as clear cut as we would like.

Why do you poo poo this?

Just think, if he would have just cooperated with police, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right?

As long as you realize that goes both ways.

Why do you poo poo this?

Because in the modern era cooperating with police in the United States has been no guarantee that the cooperative person will not be injured or killed.

And if the cop didn't shoot based on scary hypothetical possibilities rather than what he actually saw?

Because in the modern era cooperating with police in the United States has been no guarantee that the cooperative person will not be injured or killed.

Bologna!

I really wish more people practiced compliance with the police and not try to start anything. I can bet you that up to 90% of these deaths could have been avoided if the person/persons just complied.

It's still a sad story, but this madness has to end at some point.

From what I saw in the videos, that person didn't seem to have a care in the world whether he would be injured or killed.

And if the cop didn't shoot based on scary hypothetical possibilities rather than what he actually saw?

Yeah...you're right. The cop saw him getting a knife out of his car.

That criminal could have hypothetically been intending to just give it to the cop. After all, he had only just wrestled two of them, shrugged off a taser shot and ignored the orders from cops who had their guns drawn.

:doh :roll:

I figured he was more involved in that call than first thought. Thinking he'd pull a knife on a bunch of armed cops wasn't using his brain cells, but the cop who shot him ? He wasn't either. Everyone was just reacting. There are pretty simple maneuvers for disarming a guy with a knife. Every correction officer knows how, so I'm assuming cops do too.

Message to criminals: Do not fight cops who are trying to legally arrest you, especially if you have a history of violence against cops and are going for a weapon in a struggle against cops.

Even if the cop saw him reaching for a knife, the situation was no where near the time to shoot the man. The man was not in possession of a weapon. What the man should have done changes none of that. The cop should not have shot him in the back 7 times and that is where the wrong is.

I figured he was more involved in that call than first thought. Thinking he'd pull a knife on a bunch of armed cops wasn't using his brain cells, but the cop who shot him ? He wasn't either. Everyone was just reacting. There are pretty simple maneuvers for disarming a guy with a knife. Every correction officer knows how, so I'm assuming cops do too.

knowing how and being successful doing so are very distinct situations.
criminal life? my life... criminal life? my life...
my life wins every time.

Absolutely true. People have been shot while laying on the ground screaming "don't shoot". It's a failure of law enforcement training.

Even if the cop saw him reaching for a knife, the situation was no where near the time to shoot the man. The man was not in possession of a weapon. What the man should have done changes none of that. The cop should not have shot him in the back 7 times and that is where the wrong is.

were you there to make that split second determination?

With your obvious experience in situations like this, tell us exactly what the cop should have done and how the criminal would have reacted.

Back
Top Bottom