• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Authoritarian Democracy?

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Is there any government that you would describe in such manner as authoritarian democracy? On a smaller, group scenario it can manifest itself as group think and conformity enforcement.

Is there any government that you would describe in such manner as authoritarian democracy? On a smaller, group scenario it can manifest itself as group think and conformity enforcement.

Isn't "authoritarian democracy" an oxymoron? Like free samples that cost $2.

Singapore, and other mostly sham democracies. People can and do vote however things are heavily swayed in the favour of the governing party. Technically another party could theoretically take power in Singapore but the PAP party has effectively gerrymandered their electoral districts so effectively in addition to suppressing opposing view points, they can pretty much never lose power. The government can also justify anything including the removal of rights and freedoms in the name of security and keeping order. If there is going to be a true big brother state, it will be Singapore first.

Isn't "authoritarian democracy" an oxymoron? Like free samples that cost $2.

No, it's not an oxymoron. A straight democracy can easily have a tyranny of the majority.

Well, the DPRK has "Democracy" right in the name and word on the street is that they are somewhat authoritarian.

Lots of nations have Democratic elections which their authoritarian leaders regularly win by 90%. That's the beauty of Democracy. If you're the Democratically elected leader you're the one that gets to decide what your version of Democracy looks like.

No, it's not an oxymoron. A straight democracy can easily have a tyranny of the majority.

I would say a lack of democratic traditions and tolerance for populism. Tyranny of the minority is not any better.

I would say a lack of democratic traditions and tolerance for populism. Tyranny of the minority is not any better.

I would say we have a tyranny of the minority now: We have a plutocracy.

I would say we have a tyranny of the minority now: We have a plutocracy.

Wrong. The minority merely has the ability to block things being imposed on them, at best. That's how out government works, and how it's supposed to work.

6 of 10 people vote your need to be put in prison for having "wrong political thinking".

That is not authoritarian. That is lack of law. You can't do that in the US.

Wrong. The minority merely has the ability to block things being imposed on them, at best. That's how out government works, and how it's supposed to work.

They have the power to create things only in their own interests as well, regardless of the impact on the majority. Congress is very good at that.

That is not authoritarian. That is lack of law. You can't do that in the US.

I don't think you know what authoritarian means, nor law, for that matter.

We have a plutocracy. Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were both part of an 'oligarchy'. Soon to be Speaker Pelosi is the oligarchy.

Hong Kong's government is an authoritarian sham of a democracy if you could call it that. People want to change it but feel powerless to due to communist China colonizing them and preventing any real form of democracy.

I know more than you do. Debate me or end this.

There is no debate to be had. You made a statement that was horribly uneducated and inaccurate.

1. Laws don't have to be just (<--defeats your "no laws" comment).

2. Putting people in prison for holding the wrong political ideology is most definitely authoritarian (<---defeats your comment on what is authoritarian).

There, I "ended it".

Anything with "authoritarian" in the name gets an automatic unmitigated curbstomping from me.

In a healthy democracy, the majority rules, but not at the expense of minorities' rights. This is why we have to have federal protections via the Civil Rights Act, for example.

Anything with "authoritarian" in the name gets an automatic unmitigated curbstomping from me.

Any definition of "authoritarian" that I am aware of makes it the enemy of democracy.

In a healthy democracy, the majority rules, but not at the expense of minorities' rights. This is why we have to have federal protections via the Civil Rights Act, for example.

And why there is a provision in the Constitution to remove the President from office. He cannot declare himself immune.

And why there is a provision in the Constitution to remove the President from office. He cannot declare himself immune.

Think about how hard it is to kick the President out. Even when you've got a president who clearly needs to go.

We have a plutocracy. Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were both part of an 'oligarchy'. Soon to be Speaker Pelosi is the oligarchy.

2nccxf.jpg

....A straight democracy can easily have a tyranny of the majority.

The 'Tyranny" of the majority, LOL.

If you prefer living under the thumb of one authoritarian like Numnuts, rather than the majority of our citizens, I hope you feel repressed and fearful of how America is growing and evolving.

Get used to it...

...If you're the Democratically elected leader you're the one that gets to decide what your version of Democracy looks like.

Well Trumpettes would certainly prefer that, but most real Americans prefer our other two co-equal branches of our government putting a check on an authoritarian like Numnuts...

Back
Top Bottom