• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Austria's leader says his face-to-face meeting with Putin was 'not a friendly visit'

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
"This is not a friendly visit. I have just come from Ukraine and have seen with my own eyes the immeasurable suffering caused by the Russian war of aggression," Nehammer was quoted as saying in a statement issued by his office after the meeting outside Moscow.
Nehammer is the first Europe.

'I addressed the serious war crimes in Bucha and other places and emphasized that all those responsible for them must be held accountable," Nehammer said, according to the statement. "I also told President Putin in no uncertain terms that sanctions against Russia will remain in place and will continue to be tightened as long as people are dying in Ukraine."

"I also made it clear to the Russian President that there is an urgent need for humanitarian corridors to bring drinking water and food to the besieged cities and to bring out women, children and the wounded," Nehammer said in his statement.

To repeat: Russian war of aggression. Serious war crimes.

Queen Margo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
For pity sake, did he think it was going to be friendly???

Callen

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
For pity sake, did he think it was going to be friendly???

I don't think you are quite grasping what he is saying. Nowhere in that statement is there anything to suggest he thought it was going to be friendly. He was simply stating his purpose.....which was not to be friendly.

Callen

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
'I addressed the serious war crimes in Bucha and other places and emphasized that all those responsible for them must be held accountable," Nehammer said, according to the statement. "I also told President Putin in no uncertain terms that sanctions against Russia will remain in place and will continue to be tightened as long as people are dying in Ukraine."
I think he likely looked Putin in the eye and said...."buddy you are really f'd". Would not surprise me if the was setting this up so he could be a conduit for an off-ramp for Putin. Mind you Putin is such a whacko, not sure he even wants an off-ramp.

Queen Margo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I don't think you are quite grasping what he is saying. Nowhere in that statement is there anything to suggest he thought it was going to be friendly. He was simply stating his purpose.....which was not to be friendly.
Well, at this point NOONE should be "friendly" with Putin.

Queen Margo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Not likely. Are you saying Nehammer’s stated purpose was to have a friendly meeting? Where did you find that to be Nehammer’s expectation?
Why would he think he had to tell us it was not a friendly visit?

Queen Margo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
That should have been the case four years ago too......but it wasn't.
No, long before that, you remember when Obama said he could be "more flexible" when he was out of office....

WIGDViking

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
No, long before that, you remember when Obama said he could be "more flexible" when he was out of office....
Yes I do and it was not out of office it was in his second term…

And it was about nuclear treaties denuclearization, if he had succeeded Ukrainian would be in a much better position…

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I think he likely looked Putin in the eye and said...."buddy you are really f'd". Would not surprise me if the was setting this up so he could be a conduit for an off-ramp for Putin. Mind you Putin is such a whacko, not sure he even wants an off-ramp.

Putin isn't looking for an 'off-ramp'.

He's prosecuting a war, Russian style, and I believe his decisions will be based upon military tactics. There's not going to be a 'talks settlement'. Putin will stop when he's beaten, but not before.

EnigmaO01

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Out of context but you knew that.

I think we know who kissed Putin's ass and who didn't.

IWoHblDm.jpg

ZvOBoJFm.jpg

He loved all the dictators of the world as he admired them:

B4ZgxZ0m.jpg

JasperL

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why would he think he had to tell us it was not a friendly visit?
He told the world what happened at that visit. Why would he do that? - so his country and the world can know what happened at the meeting with Putin. It's a mystery what your problem is with a world leader reporting on his visit with Putin. That's all he did. It's entirely routine, what one would expect from every visitor to see Putin during this conflict, unless there's some reason to keep the agenda secret for purposes of negotiating or whatever.

You're looking for things to be confused about.

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Nothing is more embarrassing than the leader of a small nation talking "tough."

No doubt the Butcher had a hard time suppressing contemptuous laughter.

Why didn't the Austrian guy's advisers talk him out of going there?

It is incredible that the West cannot think of an effective way to scare the blank out of that little brute.

President Biden was right when he said that the Butcher could not continue as so-called "president."

Like it or not, the United States is (at least for a few more decades) the leader of the world.

When the United States tells other nations to jump, their only response should be "How high, sir/ma'am?"

There must be regime change in Russia.

Now.

Loulit01

Muse Wanted: Apply Naked
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Chillin' on the grassy knoll waiting for JFK Jr.
Political Leaning
Other
Putin isn't looking for an 'off-ramp'.

He's prosecuting a war, Russian style, and I believe his decisions will be based upon military tactics. There's not going to be a 'talks settlement'. Putin will stop when he's beaten, but not before.
Exactly. He's prosecuting a war Russian style. Putin knows the Soviet Union lost about 20 million civilians in WWII. He's not worried about killing civilians. No one lost more civilians than Russia. Putin knows Kutuzov defeated Napolean's Grande Armée using scorched earth tactics. He's not above it.

I'm not saying Putin's right.

Queen Margo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
You mean except Trump, right? Trump is still giving Putin a tongue punch in the keester.
Well, if Trump were in the Oval, I don't believe Ukraine would have been invaded. So, Trump be this, Trump be that, but Trump would have prevented a Putin attack.

Loulit01

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Well, if Trump were in the Oval, I don't believe Ukraine would have been invaded. So, Trump be this, Trump be that, but Trump would have prevented a Putin attack.
This is beyond ridiculous. This is how Trump treats Putin:

October 2007: Trump said Putin’s doing a great job​

“Look at Putin – what he’s doing with Russia – I mean, you know, what’s going on over there. I mean this guy has done – whether you like him or don’t like him – he’s doing a great job in rebuilding the image of Russia and also rebuilding Russia period,” Trump told Larry King on CNN.

December 2011: Trump praised Putin’s “intelligence” and “no-nonsense way” in his book “Time to Get Tough.”​

“Putin has big plans for Russia. He wants to edge out its neighbors so that Russia can dominate oil supplies to all of Europe,” Trump said. “I respect Putin and Russians but cannot believe our leader (Obama) allows them to get away with so much…Hats off to the Russians.”

June 2013: Trump wonders if Putin will be his “new best friend”​

“Will he become my new best friend?” Trump asked of Putin in a tweet wondering whether Putin would attend the 2013 Miss Universe pageant Trump brought to Moscow.

October 2013: Trump says Putin is outsmarting the US​

“I think he’s done really a great job of outsmarting our country,” Trump told Larry King after Putin successfully dissuaded the US from striking Syria by arranging with the US for the removal of Syria’s chemical weapons.

July 31, 2015: Trump says they’d get along​

“I think I’d get along very well with Vladimir Putin. I just think so,” Trump said in one of his first comments about the Russian leader since launching his presidential bid last June.

Loulit01

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Oct. 11, 2015: Trump says they had good ratings together​

Asked on CBS’ “Face the Nation” about similarities between him and Putin, Trump pointed to their appearance on same edition of “60 Minutes.”

“I think the biggest thing we have is that we were on ’60 Minutes’ together and we had fantastic ratings. One of your best-rated shows in a long time,” Trump joked. “So that was good, right? So we were stable mates.”

Trump said he and Putin “are very different,” but that they would “get along very well.”

“I think that I would probably get along with him very well. And I don’t think you’d be having the kind of problems that you’re having right now,” Trump said.

Nov. 10, 2015: Trump reiterates that he and Putin “were stablemates”​

“I got to know him very well because we were both on ’60 Minutes,’ we were stablemates, and we did very well that night,” Trump said, despite the fact that he and Putin had been interviewed in separate countries at different times for the same news program.

It’s a comment Trump has repeatedly made at rallies.

Dec. 18, 2015: Trump defends against allegations Putin has ordered the killings of journalists​

“He’s running his country and at least he’s a leader, unlike what we have in this country,” Trump said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “I think our country does plenty of killing also.”

Loulit01

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Feb. 17: Trump says he’d be “crazy” to disavow Putin’s praise​

“I have no relationship with him other than he called me a genius. He said Donald trump is a genius and he is going to be the leader of the party and he’s going to be the leader of the world or something,” Trump said, embellishing Putin’s praise.

“These characters that I’m running against said, ‘We want you to disavow that statement.’ I said what, he called me a genius, I’m going to disavow it? Are you crazy? Can you believe it? How stupid are they.”

“And besides that wouldn’t it be good if we actually got along with countries. Wouldn’t it actually be a positive thing. I think I’d have a good relationship with Putin. I mean who knows,” he continued.

April 28: Trump says maybe they’ll get along​

“Maybe we will, maybe we won’t,” Trump says when asked by Bill O’Reilly about whether he and Putin would have a good relationship.

“I’m saying that I’d possibly have a good relationship. He’s been very nice to me,” Trump said. “If we can make a great deal for our country and get along with Russia that would be a tremendous thing. I would love to try it.”

July 28: Trump says he’d be firm with Putin​

“I would treat Vladimir Putin firmly, but there’s nothing I can think of that I’d rather do than have Russia friendly, as opposed to the way they are right now, so that we can go and knock out ISIS with other people,” Trump said at a news conference.

But that wasn’t Trump’s only comment on Putin during the event.

He also refused to call on Putin to stay out of the election, “I’m not going to tell Putin what to do. Why would I tell him what to do?”

Queen Margo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Feb. 17: Trump says he’d be “crazy” to disavow Putin’s praise​

“I have no relationship with him other than he called me a genius. He said Donald trump is a genius and he is going to be the leader of the party and he’s going to be the leader of the world or something,” Trump said, embellishing Putin’s praise.

“These characters that I’m running against said, ‘We want you to disavow that statement.’ I said what, he called me a genius, I’m going to disavow it? Are you crazy? Can you believe it? How stupid are they.”

“And besides that wouldn’t it be good if we actually got along with countries. Wouldn’t it actually be a positive thing. I think I’d have a good relationship with Putin. I mean who knows,” he continued.

April 28: Trump says maybe they’ll get along​

“Maybe we will, maybe we won’t,” Trump says when asked by Bill O’Reilly about whether he and Putin would have a good relationship.

“I’m saying that I’d possibly have a good relationship. He’s been very nice to me,” Trump said. “If we can make a great deal for our country and get along with Russia that would be a tremendous thing. I would love to try it.”

July 28: Trump says he’d be firm with Putin​

“I would treat Vladimir Putin firmly, but there’s nothing I can think of that I’d rather do than have Russia friendly, as opposed to the way they are right now, so that we can go and knock out ISIS with other people,” Trump said at a news conference.

But that wasn’t Trump’s only comment on Putin during the event.

He also refused to call on Putin to stay out of the election, “I’m not going to tell Putin what to do. Why would I tell him what to do?”
You can blather on all you want about Trump... THERE WERE NO CONFLICTS WHILE HE WAS IN THE OVAL

Top Bottom