• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Australia's Gitmo

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Next time some clown from Down Under tells you how much better their country is than the US, how they treat everyone equally and welcome refugees and all that BS...just show them this.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-of-children-in-australian-offshore-detention

The devastating trauma and abuse inflicted on children held by Australia in offshore detention has been laid bare in the largest cache of leaked documents released from inside its immigration regime.

More than 2,000 leaked incident reports from Australia’s detention camp for asylum seekers on the remote Pacific island of Nauru – totalling more than 8,000 pages – are published by the Guardian today. The Nauru files set out as never before the assaults, sexual abuse, self-harm attempts, child abuse and living conditions endured by asylum seekers held by the Australian government, painting a picture of routine dysfunction and cruelty.

And, then tell them to suck on a lemon.

Been going on for years.. I remember hearing about kids sewing up their mouths like 2 or 3 years ago. The right wing nationalist xenophobic isolationists love what the Aussies have done, and yet ignore the clear human rights violations..

Next time some clown from Down Under tells you how much better their country is than the US, how they treat everyone equally and welcome refugees and all that BS...just show them this.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-of-children-in-australian-offshore-detention

And, then tell them to suck on a lemon.

I'm imagining this is as stunning to the Australian civilian as it is to us. But must admit I hadn't realized they have what amounts to detention centers for asylum seekers. Definitely gives one pause. Thanks for posting this. Most of us would never have known.

Been going on for years.. I remember hearing about kids sewing up their mouths like 2 or 3 years ago. The right wing nationalist xenophobic isolationists love what the Aussies have done, and yet ignore the clear human rights violations..

What have the Aussies done that isolationists love? As for the human rights of Islamic terrorist, I could not care less.

What have the Aussies done that isolationists love? As for the human rights of Islamic terrorist, I could not care less.

Most of the people on that island are kids and highly educated adults who thought Oz gave them a fair shot at opportunity. They are not terrorists in any sense of the word. Now, the guys at Gitmo...definitely terrorists and enemy combatants.

Putting refugees in a camp on an isolated island far away from the homeland.

And who the hell is talking about Islamic terrorists?

Nauru is one of the most awful places in the world. For years, every citizen received free money from the island's main economy, bird poop. Thousands of years of bird poop = phosphates which were extensively farmed from the island. At one time Nauru had an airline (I worked with the former Chief Pilot) that was a financial disaster and would be crippled whenever the president wanted to go somewhere. They owned two skyscrapers, one in London, one in Honolulu (nickname: "birds$%t tower"). The money was flowing, and then...they ran out of phosphates, and it is a disaster of a country. And, it is not a pretty little tropical place, its a flat, hot, ugly place that doesn't get much rain, so its far from lush.

What Australia has done is criminal, and the UN is currently looking into this situation.

Why? Can't they go home anymore? And didn't they know they were doing something that was illegal in Australia and would land them in this predicament? I see no resemblance to terrorism except possibly by the would-be illegal immigrants. And they were lucky. The Aussies saved them from drowning. That is more than could be said in many cases in the Mediterranean.
But you are right, that the treatment generally afforded immigrants in the Greek camps is not consistent with the European Human Rights Charter and not saving them would be a breech of the UN norm of R2P, if we wanted to be sticky about it.

Sorry, I jumped the shark, I made the leap in response to the thread name. Apples and Oranges.

I'm imagining this is as stunning to the Australian civilian as it is to us. But must admit I hadn't realized they have what amounts to detention centers for asylum seekers. Definitely gives one pause. Thanks for posting this. Most of us would never have known.

I have been following the situation develop in and around the EU for about 10 years. Though many changes have occurred like Gaddafi and other autocrats no longer being available to contract to stop immigration, the situation of the refugees is and has been pretty horribly throughout the period. Videos from Greek, Italien, North African, Turkey, Lebanon etc camps were unbelievable. And the descriptions of social conditions surfaced on and off very much like those in The Guardian. It is really not a nice picture anywhere. But it has been know for a long time. And each time we catch a glimpse, it undermines the legitimacy of people making demands based on human rights and even the credibility of our belief in the rights themselves.

I have no complaint with the detention center, but the treatment of the people needs to change.

Australia is one of the hardest places to emigrate to and they control who comes in.

What are they supposed to do with people that show up on their doorstep demanding to come in?

I have no complaint with the detention center, but the treatment of the people needs to change.

Australia is one of the hardest places to emigrate to and they control who comes in.

What are they supposed to do with people that show up on their doorstep demanding to come in?

What do we do with those people?

Nauru is one of the most awful places in the world. For years, every citizen received free money from the island's main economy, bird poop. Thousands of years of bird poop = phosphates which were extensively farmed from the island. At one time Nauru had an airline (I worked with the former Chief Pilot) that was a financial disaster and would be crippled whenever the president wanted to go somewhere. They owned two skyscrapers, one in London, one in Honolulu (nickname: "birds$%t tower"). The money was flowing, and then...they ran out of phosphates, and it is a disaster of a country. And, it is not a pretty little tropical place, its a flat, hot, ugly place that doesn't get much rain, so its far from lush.

What Australia has done is criminal, and the UN is currently looking into this situation.

According to the wiki page, the detention center is a significant source of income for the island, primarily as an employer of last resort on an island with a 90% unemployment rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru

Refugees are called refugees for a reason. Just say'n.

Yes but they don't have any right to show up anywhere they want and demand to be let in.

Australia has very strict conditions on immigration, which is their right, and these people do not qualify.

Yes but they don't have any right to show up anywhere they want and demand to be let in.

Australia has very strict conditions on immigration, which is their right, and these people do not qualify.

Sure. But, at some point humane treatment of people displaced by war or whatever becomes, simply, the right thing to do. It's our right to walk past a person choking on a chicken wing too. But, only the most callous SOB would ignore the dying person rather than administer some Heimlich action.

What's wrong with sucking on lemon?
The Aussies know what they need to do, so should we. If some don't agree, too bad.

If you want to suck on a lemon, be my guest.

As for sticking a bunch of people on an impoverished island...I guess I'll let you decide how you'd like it if it was you sitting under the hot sun in high humidity, and the government of the country a 1000 miles away was in control of your destiny while the locals do with you as they will.

Back
Top Bottom