• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Australian PM on his perceptions as a Christian regarding gay marriage

Sykes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
He said his decision to back gay marriage was made after "years of reflection in good Christian conscience".

"I do not believe people when they are born choose their sexuality. They are gay if they are born gay," he said.

"You don't decide at some later stage in life to be one thing or the other. It is how people are built. Therefore, the idea this is somehow an abnormal condition is just wrong. I don't get that. I think it is a completely ill-founded view."

Kevin Rudd makes passionate defence of his support for gay marriage in Q&A appearance - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Could not have said it better myself.

I'd also like to know how Christians manage to blow past "that you love one another as I have loved you," in the interest of denigrating gays.

Well it made headlines in Canada so I would say it is rather good publicity for Australia.

Australians will be heading to the Polls on Saturday to vote in our Federal Elections. Prime Minster Rudd has pledged to take the first steps towards legalising same-sex marriage if he wins another term. He will be attempting to win a third term for the Labor government but Opinion polls are predicting a win for the Coalition.

Australians will be heading to the Polls on Saturday to vote in our Federal Elections. Prime Minster Rudd has pledged to take the first steps towards legalising same-sex marriage if he wins another term. He will be attempting to win a third term for the Labor government but Opinion polls are predicting a win for the Coalition.

I don't know the rest of his platform, so I can't go "YAY!" or "boo-hiss" on that front.

Kevin Rudd makes passionate defence of his support for gay marriage in Q&A appearance - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I'd also like to know how Christians manage to blow past "that you love one another as I have loved you," in the interest of denigrating gays.

I'm always glad to see someone who searches his/her own heart and mind, and realizes that institutionalized discrimination against any group should be universally defeated. Kudos to him.

Fat lot of good it will do us, he's gonna be gonksy in 3 days.

Mathew 19:3-6
English Standard Version (ESV)
3 And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?” 4 He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” I think he's preety clear on what marriage is.

That being said I don't think the solution is the removal of gay marriage but marriage in general from government control.

3 And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?” 4 He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” I think he's preety clear on what marriage is.

That being said I don't think the solution is the removal of gay marriage but marriage in general from government control.

As long as straights can marry, then gays should be able to as well.

As long as straights can marry, then gays should be able to as well.

Yeah and that's why I'm for getting marriage out of the hands of government because its not something they should be involved with in the first place.

Yeah and that's why I'm for getting marriage out of the hands of government because its not something they should be involved with in the first place.

Well, that's not happening any time soon. So right now, gays and straights should have the same right, privilege, or whatever the **** you wish to call it.

Well, that's not happening any time soon. So right now, gays and straights should have the same right, privilege, or whatever the **** you wish to call it.

But that's what we should be talking about because the vast majority if arguments for gay marriage are really just arguments for government reform.

The opinion that homosexuality is something one can acquire is not ill-founded, and the good PM should do his homework. Pun intended. ;)

Tim-

Gays are born, full-stop, period.

So you support banning divorce?

So you support banning divorce?

No divorce is simply the legal process of separating shared assets so it shouldn't be illegal. I do think that the church needs to create a culture that doesn't see divorce as much as a option.

Back
Top Bottom