• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Australian Deputy PM: The 'Cranks And Crazies' Of The GOP Are The Biggest Threat To A

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
GOP obstructionism is pretty obvious all over the world. Keep up the dysfuctional politics while the rest of the world progesses.
"Let's be blunt and acknowledge the biggest threat to the world's biggest economy are the cranks and crazies that have taken over a part of the Republican Party," Swan said.

He said "the extreme right Tea Party wing" of the Republican Party had held the national interest hostage during last year's debate over the U.S. borrowing limit despite President Barack Obama's "goodwill and strong efforts."

He said it was imperative that Congress reach an agreement to support growth and avoid a "fiscal cliff" of deep government spending cuts and higher taxes in January, which he said could push the U.S. economy back into recession.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/wayne-swan-blasts-the-tea-party-2012-9#ixzz277OqvBUA

Re: Australian Deputy PM: The 'Cranks And Crazies' Of The GOP Are The Biggest Threat

Before someone asks why an Australian is making these comments, keep in mind that we're a cornerstone of the global economy and one of Australia's largest trading partners. We have substantial effect on their economy.

Re: Australian Deputy PM: The 'Cranks And Crazies' Of The GOP Are The Biggest Threat

Before someone asks why an Australian is making these comments, keep in mind that we're a cornerstone of the global economy and one of Australia's largest trading partners. We have substantial effect on their economy.

Thats precisely the point. When the US sneezes the world catches cold. So buck up.

Swan is a leftist. His opinion is of no concern.

I agree with the guy about the Republican Party.

Four years ago when I attended a town hall meeting held my my local republican congressman, nearly half the audience left the room when he said "I am a republican, not a libertarian or a far right extremist", most of the remaining audience left when he suggested that we should "turn off the TV when the Beck show comes on".

My neck of the woods is essentially the state headquarters for the Tea Party. You know how every time they discuss the Tea Party on Fox News they always display a pic of a guy dressed up like a revolutionary solder? I know that guy, he's from my community.

The republican party has been highjacked by tea baggers and far right nutjobs, thats a large part of the reason why I no longer vote republican. Even when we have moderate republican candidates, I can't vote for them due to my fear that they are going to be controlled by the whacko part of the republican party.

Why is ANY American listening to ANY foreigner about ANYTHING here in the United States?

In keeping with the current Labor policy of making stupid and ill considered remarks, Swan is shrilly denouncing the conservative Republicans in what can only be called a fools step in where angels fear to tread.

No Australian politician has the right to make dangerous pronouncements.

Swan is a Goose, who doesn't represent Australian opinion.

Every trade partner to the US has a right to say what they want, although an ill advised move. This is not the first Australian to do so, "Former conservative Prime Minister John Howard was widely criticized in 2007 when he claimed Obama, then a Democratic presidential nominee, represented al-Qaida's interests. Howard, a staunch U.S. ally in the Iraq war who lost elections later that year after 11 years in power, created one of the first controversies of Obama's presidential campaign by attacking his plan to withdraw troops."

Wayne Swan, Australian Deputy Prime Minister, Warns Of Republican 'Cranks And Crazies'

"Obama is destroying our reputation around the world!"

"Opinions of other world leaders don't matter!"

In what way is this "dangerous"?

In what way is this "dangerous"?

Because the democratic political protocol assumes that parties will not interfere in other's domestic politics close to election time, when its opinions could influence the outcome.

The danger is now that it's an open invitation for interference in Australian politics. For example, Romney could now say that the Australian Labor party is full of extreme left wing fools who are leading Australia to economic disaster....and he would be right of course.

Because the democratic political protocol assumes that parties will not interfere in other's domestic politics close to election time, when its opinions could influence the outcome.

The danger is now that it's an open invitation for interference in Australian politics. For example, Romney could now say that the Australian Labor party is full of extreme left wing fools who are leading Australia to economic disaster....and he would be right of course.

Err.. Bush meddled in Australian politics back in the day by openly backing John Howard.

But crazy anti-Islamists do, and their speech has to be defended to the death. Hypocrite much?

Look at it this way. The majority of Australians only became aware of the massive partisanship in US politics with the debt ceiling crap. We became aware of the Tea Party as the obstructionists threatening the world economy. It's a valid statement for the Australian public.

Double post.

Last edited:

The "fiscal cliff" is a serious issue. However, with Democrats refusing to make any real structural reforms to entitlement programs, and with Republicans really demanding cuts only agreements -- it is unlikely anyone stands up makes the tough decisions that must be made.

I see.. so an Australian leftist guy thinks the GOP is dangerous for fiscal policy.. and Democrats are the cat's meow.

..and now I have this useless piece of information taking up space in my brain.

But crazy anti-Islamists do, and their speech has to be defended to the death. Hypocrite much?

This has nothing to do with Islam and your argument is irrelevant! :shrug:

This has nothing to do with Islam and your argument is irrelevant! :shrug:
Well, what is relevant is that you show no ethical consistency. What is the point of making strenuous arguments about the sanctity of free speech and then calling for the gagging of people who use their free speech to say something you don't like. That IS hypocrisy.

Well, what is relevant is that you show no ethical consistency. What is the point of making strenuous arguments about the sanctity of free speech and then calling for the gagging of people who use their free speech to say something you don't like. That IS hypocrisy.

By your standards, you could drag any topic in the world into your argument.

Specifically if you care to read my my post again you will notice that I said - prior to election time is considered bad form for a foreign country to make comments which will favor one or other side.

You will notice that there has not been murderous riots in the US to complain about the Australian comments ... where there certainly has been in the majority of Muslim countries... so it certainly is a double standard which by all measure shows how sensible is the Western culture compared to the violent orgies which take place periodically in Islam.

If you wish to set up a separate thread about this matter please do so, otherwise you are completely off topic. Hope this explanation is sufficient.

Just because you do not agree it is not a concern to you. You left off to me in your reply.

Back
Top Bottom