• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Australia may prosecute soldiers over Afghanistan 'war crimes'

True. If you don't want to be raped, don't participate. Smart!
[/QUOTE
No not smart. My post was Poorly worded. My position is: These situations need to stop. The only way I can see that happening is to not enter into them. History has proven that horrific crimes will occur on the innocent in times of conflict.

So no need to punish anyone, Everything is back to normal.

Psychologists have proved time and again that If you put enough young people in highly stressful & lethal situations over a long enough period of time, these situations are bound to happen. ADF members sent back for 2-3 more tours in Afghanistan with with PTSD?

Do you say this also for the Taliban young fighters who fight a long war without even enjoying the technological advantages that western soldiers have ?
And what about the young Palestinian in Gaza?

ps: the questions are rhetorical.

In telephone call, the Prime Minister of Australia expressed his deepest sorrow over the misconduct by some Australian troops in Afghanistan and assured the President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan of the investigations and to ensuring justice.

Why do the afghans need your apologies, you asshole, there is a smell of the Hague court and billions of compensation.
By the way, why didn't this Prime Minister do what Bush Sr. did after an american missile shot down an Iranian civilian plane, killing nearly 300 people? Bush said he would never apologize for the actions of the US military.
Because I guess he's a more decent person than Bush Sr.

Though to apologize or not apologize for something your military has done (whether on purpose or by mistake) is domestic politics not foreign politics really. You follow the mood of the country and do what the people want. If alot of people are upset about what the military did, then a apology makes sense, if not, then something like Bush Sr. did makes more sense.

Previously, Australia did everything to hush it up by raiding media headquarters.

Nonsense. There is no proof that "Australia" tried to hush anything up.

Australia has been very pro-active when it comes to any murmurs of bad behaviour by its troops.

Too pro-active, in my opinion.

Perhaps, I am getting emotional.

These young men and women get sent into these insane situations. And, when it goes wrong (it always goes wrong), people in suits point fingers at the disposable soldiers.
Humans do not behave well when they get too stressed or exhausted. Add in a fallen comrade and you have a recipe for, well, this.
It keeps happening.

Exactly!

Perhaps, I am getting emotional.

These young men and women get sent into these insane situations. And, when it goes wrong (it always goes wrong), people in suits point fingers at the disposable soldiers.
Humans do not behave well when they get too stressed or exhausted. Add in a fallen comrade and you have a recipe for, well, this.
It keeps happening.

That's why it is crucially important for the people in Western nations to not be duped into supporting these ongoing and unnecessary ( for the ordinary folk ) wars.

RetiredUSN:

End the secrecy and end the impunity for all military personnel of all ranks and hold civilian leaders responsible for what their agents do.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Clinton and Bush should be castrated for what they did.

Back
Top Bottom