• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Australia doesn’t exist! And other bizarre geographic conspiracies

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Australia doesn’t exist! And other bizarre geographic conspiracies​

Australia doesn’t exist. The signs were there the whole time: in what country is the only thing more poisonous than the snakes the spiders? How did we ever believe that kangaroos were a thing?

This discovery, believed by some to be a joke or a conspiracy theory, has been circulating on social media in recent weeks after being formulated on Reddit in early 2017. Except it turns out not to be the only theory of its kind: through the years, online sleuths have found that all sorts of places don’t exist.

High on the list is Finland, the country some believe lies between Russia and Sweden, and that allegedly fought a valiant rearguard action against Soviet invasion in the runup to the second world war. This theory was also born on Reddit, in 2015. Finland, the user Raregan explained, was merely a fictional creation designed to create fishing quotas to aid the export of sushi to Japan from Russia.

@ Bielefeld

The joke – or painstakingly well-evidenced and argued theory – that a country or region doesn’t exist turns out to be one of the oldest memes on the internet. As early as 1993, German users of Usenet – a network of online discussion forms (or bulletin boards), which predates the web – had a running joke that the Westfalian town of Bielefeld (population 300,000, funnily enough) was a fiction maintained by the CIA, Mossad, aliens or some combination of the three.

No, I love the cold and the scenery is spectacular. My hobby is geology and Iceland presents such wonderful opportunities to see the formation of igneous rocks.
Jón Stefán Sveinsson, better known as "Nonni" (16 November 1857 in Möðruvellir in Hörgárdalur – 16 October 1944 in Cologne) was an Icelandic children's writer and member of the Society of Jesus.

He left Iceland in 1870 for France, where he converted to Catholicism. His children's stories concerning a character named Nonni are well known in Iceland and parts of Europe. Nonni's House (Nonnahús) his childhood home in Akureyri is now a museum to his life and works and he has featured on postage stamps. Jón Sveinsson's stories of growing up with his brother Ármann, nicknamed "Manni", were adapted into the television series Nonni and Manni.

I liked ro read his books

I think there was some weird "Finland isn't real" meme conspiracy at some point. I was not paying much attention, it came and went as quickly.

I always assumed Australia was actually the lost continent Atlantis which drifted south with the continental shift. I just don't know why the Aussies decided to destroy all those artifacts and buildings.

Australia doesn’t exist! And other bizarre geographic conspiracies​

Most Americans confuse Austria with Australia. But I am going to guess you know that and I wouldn't even be surprised if you've been asked where all the kangaroos are at in AUSTRIA.
By Americans, of course. 😆

Yes, I know! :)

And the Austrians in turn confuse Baden, my country, with some town near Vienna. :)
And everyone confuses everything with Baden- Baden, because of the double Baden. Though Baden- Baden actually is in Baden, so there is that.

Edit: I actually ended up finding something about the whole Finland does not exist thing:

Does Finland Exist? Many Don't Think So

It's pretty fishy.

Last edited:
A related topic:

Listenbourg absolutely does exist and is a totally real country.

who has been to bielefeld?

Back
Top Bottom