• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Austin approves guaranteed income program, first in Texas

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Austin has become the first Texas city to approve a pilot program that will provide a guaranteed income to qualified residents. The program will give 85 families $1,000 per month for a year. City Council on Thursday voted to approve a contract for a non-profit to manage the funding. The families who are approved for the $1.18 million program will be able to decide how to spend the money, including spending it on rent or mortgage payments, food, transportation and utilities.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/pol...-politics/article261144302.html#storylink=cpy

Austin has become the first Texas city to approve a pilot program that will provide a guaranteed income to qualified residents. The program will give 85 families $1,000 per month for a year. City Council on Thursday voted to approve a contract for a non-profit to manage the funding. The families who are approved for the $1.18 million program will be able to decide how to spend the money, including spending it on rent or mortgage payments, food, transportation and utilities.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/pol...-politics/article261144302.html#storylink=cpy
Wow, I was planning on flying back to Seattle from Austin today. Maybe I'll just stay here :)

Well done Austin! UBI is coming. It works, and it is cheaper than the sum total of govt benefits that many receive.

$1000/month will buy a lot of meth and heroin.

Coupled with free needles and safe smoking kits, this should solve homelessness and addiction.

This is a surprise. Wonder if they're trying to clean up their image.

Great...another Liberal city handing out free money to discourage people from actually earning money.

Well done Austin! UBI is coming. It works, and it is cheaper than the sum total of govt benefits that many receive.
milton friedman agrees:

Great...another Liberal city handing out free money to discourage people from actually earning money.

Actually, if you bother to look most people given money for basic housing and food then find it easier to get jobs they actually like and stay at.
Most people don't want to stay home doing nothing and want jobs to do even if its to just have self-esteem and not be depressed as hell doing nothing.

If everyone in my neighborhood gets Universal Basic Income, then rent is going to go up for all of us due to basic laws of supply and demand. Inflation is too high already.

The money is free now, but it will eventually come with strings attached. If you like the potential strings now because you enjoy those who are in power, then what happens when you do not enjoy those who are in power? The slow and steady march towards Communism is not worth any benefit, if there is any benefit, to these programs.

The most recent UBI I looked at uses money from the Covid American Rescue Plan. A whooping 20% goes to administer the program with only 80% of the money actually going to the people.

If everyone in my neighborhood gets Universal Basic Income, then rent is going to go up for all of us due to basic laws of supply and demand. Inflation is too high already.

The money is free now, but it will eventually come with strings attached. If you like the potential strings now because you enjoy those who are in power, then what happens when you do not enjoy those who are in power? The slow and steady march towards Communism is not worth any benefit, if there is any benefit, to these programs.

The most recent UBI I looked at uses money from the Covid American Rescue Plan. A whooping 20% goes to administer the program with only 80% of the money actually going to the people.
That sound pretty effective. 80% going to the people.

I dont think it does in any meaningful way.

This program is contributing to the inflation. They are getting the money from the $2T slush fund that they named covid relief.

This program is contributing to the inflation. They are getting the money from the $2T slush fund that they named covid relief.
It's only $1.18 million. What difference does the source of the funds make?

If you're concerned about "slush funds," you may want to take look at what happened to covid funds during the prior administration. I eman...to be fair and all.

Anytime the government hands out money via a program, it has to come from the taxpayer first. It's either that or they just print money into existence. It will be interesting to see how much pricing rises within the city limits. UBI to me is like the minimum wage, make it any number you want and the market will adjust around it.

Anytime the government hands out money via a program, it has to come from the taxpayer first. It's either that or they just print money into existence. It will be interesting to see how much pricing rises within the city limits. UBI to me is like the minimum wage, make it any number you want and the market will adjust around it.
Isn’t Social Security a UBI based on age to qualify?
How has Social Security skewed the market?

Because of a $1.18 million program?

It's only $1.18 million. What difference does the source of the funds make?

If you're concerned about "slush funds," you may want to take look at what happened to covid funds during the prior administration. I eman...to be fair and all.
I am wary of them regardless of which party benefits. If you are not concerned about them you should not care when they are used to feed Republican coffers.

Good for Austin.

The responses by righties in this thread are pathetically predictable. They have no problem dumping billions of dollars in tax cuts to the superrich, but give even a modest tax break to the poor and it's handing out "free money." :rolleyes:

The "pilot program" Austin is going with is too small in scope to really prove or even disprove what guaranteed income can mean to a local economy. This seems more like an attention getting idea with a later intention to expand the program no matter what the results.

Because one can pay for EVERYTHING with one grand per month…sure…what world do live in where that is true?

This is supplemental income to what is already being earned. It’s for folks whose salaries don’t cover all the bills. So…they ARE working.

And with prices for everything going up, this one grand per month is goin to get used up pretty darn quick.

Isn’t Social Security a UBI based on age to qualify?
How has Social Security skewed the market?
Not everyone gets the same thing in SS. It's a factor of how long and how much you've put in. I personally would much rather of had the money I've put in over the years working for me rather than the pittance I'm likely to receive. UBI is just gifting money to the masses.

Because of a $1.18 million program?
No idea. But if all these families are concentrated in one area then yes, it could have an impact on pricing.

$1000/month will buy a lot of meth and heroin.

Coupled with free needles and safe smoking kits, this should solve homelessness and addiction.
But of course!

Because one can pay for EVERYTHING with one grand per month…sure…what world do live in where that is true?

This is supplemental income to what is already being earned. It’s for folks whose salaries don’t cover all the bills. So…they ARE working.

And with prices for everything going up, this one grand per month is goin to get used up pretty darn quick.
Well hopefully they will spend it on priorities, like guns and ammo!

Back
Top Bottom