• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AU to send more troops to Somalia

Laila

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Two more countries will send troops to join a peacekeeping force protecting the embattled Somali government against al-Qaida-linked Islamist insurgents, the head of the African Union said Friday.

Djibouti and Guinea will both send troops to the Somali capital of Mogadishu, said AU commission president Jean Ping. The peacekeeping mission is authorized to send up to 8,000 soldiers, but Ping said the number may eventually rise to more than 10,000. The AU currently has about 6,000 troops from Uganda and Burundi in Somalia.

The new deployment announcement comes during a meeting of African Union leaders in Uganda, which suffered twin bombings July 11 during the World Cup final that killed 76 people. Al-Shabab, Somalia's most feared militant group, claimed responsibility for the attacks and said they were in retaliation for civilian deaths caused by AU troops.

The Associated Press: AU head: More troops ready to be sent to Somalia

Worst decision ever.
Somalis in the South will unite against foreign troops even if they have to fight along side Al Shabab.

Last edited:
Somalia has been regarded as a failed state for quite a while now. What steps would you recommend to end the hostilities, and to help ensure that Somalia does not become an African version of Taliban-Afghanistan?

I would withdraw all foreign troops immediately and I mean all and allow TFG to collapse which is still being propped up by the West. I would cut off all aid to Somalia as it is misused.

Al Shabab has flourished in the South because it is seen as the only alternative to the TFG which is hated.
The Islamists are anything but united. The only reason they have not collapsed to infighting which is inevitable in Somalia is because the presence of foreigners has kept them united.
By removing their reason for unity. Somalis will turn on one another as always and fight according to clan lines. Loyalty to clan supersedes everything else. By invading Ethiopia turned Somalis problem from domestic to religious.

The solution has always been simple.
Do that and the Islamists/Al Qaeda will die by Somalis hand.
Then bring in Somaliland to mediate the clans. As fellow Somali's, we will not been seen as foreigners. Somaliland's neutrality can be seen as a blessing by the South and doing so, we can also host the talks using the same method which brought peace up North. Without Arabs, without the West, without any foreign interference which has been so detrimental to Somalia.

Last edited:
I would withdraw all foreign troops immediately and I mean all and allow TFG to collapse which is still being propped up by the West. I would cut off all aid to Somalia as it is misused.
Are all fellow African nations considered foreign and unwanted in Somalia? I can understand the Ethiopia thing, but the rest of them also? And all aid? Can Somalia feed its population? Are NGOs needed for support such as food distribution and education and if so, who would protect them if all of the security forces withdrew?

Al Shabab has flourished in the South because it is seen as the only alternative to the TFG which is hated. The Islamists are anything but united. The only reason they have not collapsed to infighting which is inevitable in Somalia is because the presence of foreigners has kept them united. By removing their reason for unity. Somalis will turn on one another as always and fight according to clan lines. Loyalty to clan supersedes everything else. By invading Ethiopia turned Somalis problem from domestic to religious.

The solution has always been simple.
Do that and the Islamists/Al Qaeda will die by Somalis hand.
Then bring in Somaliland to mediate the clans. As fellow Somali's, we will not been seen as foreigners. Somaliland's neutrality can be seen as a blessing by the South and doing so, we can also host the talks using the same method which brought peace up North. Without Arabs, without the West, without any foreign interference which has been so detrimental to Somalia.
I trust your analysis here. As an outsider, my principal worries include helping the Somali people sustain and govern themselves and preventing radical Islamists from over-running the country.

Are all fellow African nations considered foreign and unwanted in Somalia? I can understand the Ethiopia thing, but the rest of them also? And all aid? Can Somalia feed its population? Are NGOs needed for support such as food distribution and education and if so, who would protect them if all of the security forces withdrew?

They are all foreigners and unwanted by Somali's. We can barely stomach the company of other clans let alone Non Somalis.
Yes the aid cut will lead to death but no more than what is happening already. The aid provided has led to dependency and is being used to control parts of the population. The money US and Europe pour into Somalia is used for weapons rather than food. Cutting off the money will harm the Islamists more.

I trust your analysis here. As an outsider, my principal worries include helping the Somali people sustain and govern themselves and preventing radical Islamists from over-running the country.

As do I but radicalism did not exist 10 years ago in Somalia and now it does. This is a new development and in the early stages, if confronted in a proper way. It will not last.

Really I think that this is where the troops in U.S. need to be heading is towards Somalia because from what I have been hearing that is where the extremist groups have been going to and forming.

Somalia.

I have studied much on this nation. Al-Shabab as far as I can see isn't all that popular among the people, certainly not when they're going from town to town stoning people and chopping their heads off. But they still retain a strong enough milita

The TGF are a bunch of Thugs too unfortunately.

Honestly none of this information means anything. A solution means something.

And honestly, I cant think of one. We're damned if we intervene and we're damned if we don't.

Somalia is simply ****ed.

As an outsider, my principal worries include helping the Somali people sustain and govern themselves and preventing radical Islamists from over-running the country.

And honestly, I cant think of one. We're damned if we intervene and we're damned if we don't.

As an outsider you need not concern yourself with the ills of Somalia if it involves wanting the placement of foriegn troops there.
It has nothing to do with us. Let them fight it out. Eventually one of the clans will win and will rule with an iron grip, which will keep the country in check.

-- Yes the aid cut will lead to death but no more than what is happening already--

Somalia or the region that is, sounds like it's not ready to become a "state" not does it wish to. Talk of self-government sounds like something that is not desired or wanted by the peoples.

Yet, I disagree the international bodies should abandon the poor and the defenceless. The clans and overlords have the ability and desire to kill and behead at will and some may argue that simple human aggression should be allowed to show itself - this still leaves those with almost nothing to their name at the mercy of all the militia and groups that embrace violence.

Back
Top Bottom