• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attorney General says Mueller investigation 'close to being completed'

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...on-close-being-completed-whitaker/2702883002/

WASHINGTON – Special counsel Robert Mueller's review of Russian interference in the 2016 election is "close to being completed," Acting Attorney General Mathew Whitaker said Monday.

“Right now the investigation is I think close to being completed," Whitaker said. "I hope we can get the report from Director Mueller as soon as possible."
Any report will go thru Barr
How close to completion is the investigation?
I do expect a slew of charges to be laid in the near future

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...on-close-being-completed-whitaker/2702883002/

Any report will go thru Barr
How close to completion is the investigation?
I do expect a slew of charges to be laid in the near future

Acting attorney general Matthew G. Whitaker said Monday that he has been “fully briefed” on special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election and that, “right now, the investigation is close to being completed.”

This is a developing story. It will be updated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...attorney-general-says/?utm_term=.53d96b0fb28f

Unless for some strange reason he's lying, sounds like we'll put this to rest one way or another. Good.

If Trump is exonerated but everyone around him went down, we'll know (a) the witch hunt claim is even more hilariously wrong than it was, (b) what happened. And we'll probably still be safe in assuming that a Dem is likely to win in 2020 in light of all the other things wrong with the Trump admin (the vast majority of things). Sure, the Trumpists will run fake victory laps, but we don't have to pay any attention because we know full well that there was every reason to investigate. If you are on a run, pass your house, and see what could be either smoke coming from it, you don't keep running on the assumption that there's probably an explanation not having to do with fire.

If Trump is damned, we'll have well over a year in which non-Trumpists can watch the Trumpists respond to the report by accusing everyone of lying but themselves. If as I predict the GOP fails to join in voting to convict on articles of impeachment - this assumes that in this scenario what we learn is damning of Trump in the sense of damning that makes most sense for impeachment (corruption relating to gaining or in performance of office, or they went after Bill for, perjury and the like) - they will be on record defending that. That will not help them outside the shrinking committed base.

But either way, the investigation part will at least be over.

Yea, Barr wants this over with, possibly before it has even been completed. This is why Mueller is laying out the report in the lengthy indictments he has been handing down. That way, it won't matter if the administration buries the final report. It will still be in the public domain, each indictment being one chapter of that report.

Attorney General says Mueller investigation 'close to being completed'

Let's hope his assertion thus more accurately predicts the future than did Rudy Giuliani's similar predictions.

Yea, Barr wants this over with, possibly before it has even been completed. This is why Mueller is laying out the report in the lengthy indictments he has been handing down. That way, it won't matter if the administration buries the final report. It will still be in the public domain, each indictment being one chapter of that report.

My bet is that IF Barr is lying and dishonestly shuts it down before Mueller thinks it is finished, Mueller will rightfully consider it his duty to say so. Mueller is the kind of person we need in government, whether it be law enforcement, politics, agencies, etc.

It really has taken me back how people could turn on a guy with a sterling reputation, a guy who took down entire mafia organizations (obviously, with lots of help), just because he's been appointed to investigate a fake conservative/republican president.

Last edited:
We will know it's close when the entire trump family disappears a d defects officially to Russia...

Both Whitaker and Barr have articulated a bias against the Mueller investigation (which is why Trump appointed them).

It will be Barr's decision on just how much, if any, of the Mueller report to release to Congress. He is under no obligation to make anything public.

What he will probably do, is condense the report for Congress using his own words. This will satisfy his legal responsibility, and also the Trump camp.

Basically, a Nunes generated version of the Mueller report with a generous dose of pro-Trump bias and redactions.

My bet is that IF Barr is lying and dishonestly shuts it down before Mueller thinks it is finished, Mueller will rightfully consider it his duty to say so. Mueller is the kind of person we need in government, whether it be law enforcement, politics, agencies, etc.

It really has taken me back how people could turn on a guy with a sterling reputation, a guy who took down entire mafia organizations (obviously, with lots of help), just because he's been appointed to investigate a fake conservative/republican president.

Good grief, man! You're looking forward to 6 am raids with 30 FBI agents at an unarmed guys home for lying to the senate?!?

I do not think he is in any way impeding Mueller.
A final report will take months as the WH retained the right to claim Executive Privilege.

The question is, how close to finishing, could be a few more months?

I heard that the grand jury recently received a six month extension. So not sure what soon means.

it could have been smoke and mirrors.

what's the rush? he's successfully prosecuting a lot of Trump cronies, and is moving up the food chain at a reasonable pace. lets see if he sinks the ping pong ball and wins the goldfish.

Good grief, man! You're looking forward to 6 am raids with 30 FBI agents at an unarmed guys home for lying to the senate?!?

We are for law and order. I'm sorry you are not.

And witness tampering.
And obstruction of justice, including destroying evidence.
Routine for such felons, people who appear hell-bent on obstruction the lawful course of a serious federal investigation.

That you attempt to downplay it in this way is so obviously partisan nonsense.

And witness tampering.
And obstruction of justice, including destroying evidence.
Routine for such felons, people who appear hell-bent on obstruction the lawful course of a serious federal investigation.

That you attempt to downplay it in this way is so obviously partisan nonsense.

So, what's your opinion on being raided by 30 FBI guys for lying - or even mis-remembering?
Sounds like Nazi time to me ...

I thought it ended last thanksgiving? Isn't that when rudy said it would be finished?

When does Barr get the confirmation vote?

The panel is scheduled to vote Tuesday on Barr's nomination, and the full Senate could vote as early as next week.

I have a problem with Matt Whitaker coming out with a statement that Mueller's investigation is 'close to being completed'. I have a problem for several reasons, the first one is the fact that he even made that statement at all. Mueller's investigation had been leak-free and it will be 2 years in May since Mueller was appointed to head the investigation. Whitaker coming up publicly with a statement that the end is near is subjective and only speculation on his part, unless Mueller told him that directly, and I doubt very much that he did that.

The reason I question this statement is because the House Intelligence Committee under Democratic control is planning subpoenas to be issued to witnesses who refused to cooperate. People like Hope Hicks, Steve Bannon and even Don Jr. whose testimony was described by Senator Richard Blumenthal as "evasive and potentially misleading or deceptive".

There's another reason why I don't think this is winding up anytime soon. The testimonies of people that appeared before the House Intelligence Committee under the Chair. of Devin Nunes, refused the request of Democrats on the committee to turn over all transcripts of testimony to the Mueller investigation. They just refused to comply and the Democrats hands were tied. Those transcripts will be handed over to Robert Mueller thanks to the Democrats being majority in the House now. The Republicans have been obstructionists in this probe making it drag on even longer than necessary.

We've been hearing February for a while now, but I wonder if this isn't an attempt to skew public opinion? By suggesting or (demanding?) an early end, they can claim if it takes a week or two longer, that it's dragging on, thus suggesting it is unjust of going overboard. Or he could be testing the waters and seeing how many of the public and congress would get behind the idea of a premature wrap - or worse firing Mueller for 'dragging his heels'.

Or maybe Mueller's office really has told him they're nearly done.

Interesting to see how it plays out.

So, what's your opinion on being raided by 30 FBI guys for lying - or even mis-remembering?

Well of course you think our law enforcement is like NAZI's. You're a trumper.

When all of these people lie to Congress or lie to the Grand Jury, there is a reason. Ask yourself, what reason could any of these scoundrels have to lie in the first place. What are they hiding?

So Barnacle, a true American Republican, is content to compare our FBI agents...people who put their life on the line to defend us from domestic threats....to Nazis.
All because, apparently a witness tampering, obstructing, lying under oath, two-bit swamp dweller like Stone, was trying to help Trump win, by getting information from the Russians.

How low you gonna go this year, as the Mueller investigation hits the big season finale?

Back
Top Bottom