• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attorney general: Hate crime charge unlikely if Dallas shooter acted alone

I strongly encourage them to do so...but that's not the point. The POINT is that YOU had already ASSUMED that there was indeed a black terrorist group that had claimed responsibility.

Gotta watch those assumptions, guy.

but why would fox news spend so many hours covering the imminent takeover of america by black terrorist groups to make obama our supreme muslim overlord and put all white people into fema camps ... if it wasn't true?

"Attorney general: Hate crime charge unlikely if Dallas shooter acted alone"

People need help hating? It was a racist hate crime. The shooter said so. But they aren't likely to charge a dead man for anything are they?

Can't charge anyone with a hate crime if the perp is dead, but the fact remains that is was a hate crime.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-s-atto...nlikely-if-shooter-acted-alone-200558816.html

This is where I draw the line. This was a hate crime and a terrorist attack against both whites and police officers. The intent was to kill as many white cops as possible. Lynch is simply wrong on this and she is being EXTREMELY hypocritical. Dylan Roof, from all we know, acted alone and he based his actions on a deeply rooted hatred for black people. Micah Xavier Johnson did the same and he should not be absolved from that simply because he is black.

I can appreciate that, but isn't Dylan Roof still alive and facing trial? That seems to me to be the operative difference. But there should be an investigation by the feds to ensure there is no conspiracy involving more than this one person - no assistance in purchasing weapons, no logistical assistance, etc. Simply because it was just one shooter doesn't mean more weren't involved and I wouldn't simply take the word of the shooter on it either.

Am i in the twilight zone? The ONLY PERPETRATOR is dead. Mr. Hat! WTH am I missing?

My sentiments exactly. Seems the last dozen or so Attorney Generals are missing a few brain cells.

The shooter was resurrected to post on FB?

Are you thinking that when people die, that their FB posts magically disappear?

You do realize that it's already been announced by the Dallas PD that the shooter acted alone and was not part of any terrorist group, don't you? Meaning that he was the only shooter. So far we do not know of anyone else who provided him physical or material support.

But I get it - in order to support your personal assumptions, you've just GOT to believe the claim that he was part of a black terrorist group.

Are you thinking that when people die, that their FB posts magically disappear?

You do realize that it's already been announced by the Dallas PD that the shooter acted alone and was not part of any terrorist group, don't you? Meaning that he was the only shooter. So far we do not know of anyone else who provided him physical or material support.

But I get it - in order to support your personal assumptions, you've just GOT to believe the claim that he was part of a black terrorist group.

Are you thinking that this is the only BLM terrorist attack this week?

Are you thinking that this is the only BLM terrorist attack this week?

And you base your claim - for which you have ZERO evidence - that he was a "BLM terrorist" on what, exactly? Oh, yeah, I forgot - he was black and was pissed off about white cops shooting blacks who were presenting zero threat, and therefore he MUST have been a "BLM terrorist"! See, every black guy who gets pissed off about what bad cops do to blacks is automatically a card-carrying member of BLM, and if he takes action, well, you've already declared he's a "BLM terrorist"!

*sigh*

Which, of course, is no different at all - and every bit as wrong - as claiming that any guy who makes derogatory claims about blacks in general (as is the case with several conservatives/libertarians on DP) is a card-carrying member of the KKK.

And you base your claim - for which you have ZERO evidence - that he was a "BLM terrorist" on what, exactly? Oh, yeah, I forgot - he was black and was pissed off about white cops shooting blacks who were presenting zero threat, and therefore he MUST have been a "BLM terrorist"! See, every black guy who gets pissed off about what bad cops do to blacks is automatically a card-carrying member of BLM, and if he takes action, well, you've already declared he's a "BLM terrorist"!

*sigh*

Which, of course, is no different at all - and every bit as wrong - as claiming that any guy who makes derogatory claims about blacks in general (as is the case with several conservatives/libertarians on DP) is a card-carrying member of the KKK.

Lakers Scott is still al8he. That's a fact you don't seem to be aware of.

Threads like these remind me why sometimes I enjoy reading DP and why sometimes I hate DP. The level of stupidity being displayed here is nearly overwhelming, and while I laugh at the stupidity, but when I'm reminded of the fact some of these still people get to vote, and their vote counts as much as mine, it makes me weep a little.

Huh??? What the heck does BASKETBALL have to do with this? And that's ONE guy, not a secret nationwide terrorist group that you seem to think is run by BLM.

Lakeem Scott

I oppose hate crime charges in general. The penalty for violent crime should already be severe. "Hate crime" is vague and not tied to any specific set of actions or circumstances.

Here's some food for though on hate crime laws. Best line: "If [hate crime laws] overarching purpose is to affirm the equality of all people, then the law should punish all assaults the same, regardless of the race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status of the victim. The 'protected class' should be human beings."

Here's some food for though on hate crime laws. Best line: "If [hate crime laws] overarching purpose is to affirm the equality of all people, then the law should punish all assaults the same, regardless of the race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status of the victim. The 'protected class' should be human beings."

Their purpose is NOT "to affirm the equality of all people"

Your argument fails

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-s-atto...nlikely-if-shooter-acted-alone-200558816.html

This is where I draw the line. This was a hate crime and a terrorist attack against both whites and police officers. The intent was to kill as many white cops as possible. Lynch is simply wrong on this and she is being EXTREMELY hypocritical. Dylan Roof, from all we know, acted alone and he based his actions on a deeply rooted hatred for black people. Micah Xavier Johnson did the same and he should not be absolved from that simply because he is black.

Who cares? You want to see this guy living (spoiler he didn't, but let's go hypothetical) a posh life in Club Fed until he's 90? Or executed within the decade? Let Texas handle this, if I were a Texan, he'll even as a Washingtonian if he like sniped Tacoma Polce Officers or something I'd want him charged by state authorities and not federal

Didja happen to miss the pertinent phrase: "it’s unlikely the Justice Department will pursue hate crime charges in Thursday’s Dallas shooting of police officers, Yahoo News has learned, because the suspect in the crime is dead."

Sorta hard to pursue hate crime charges when the suspect in the crime is freaking DEAD, people. Now if - IF - they find that others helped and assisted him, THEN we can talk hate crime charges...but until then, get real, people - stop trying to execute a dead horse!

so if a white guy goes into BLACK club, guns black people down, and while shooting he can be heard yelling he hates blacks, then is killed by police later in that very club.........its not hate crime, because he's now dead?

meaning because he's dead, the hate crime vanished

So those of you who are complaining about this want the government to spend a crapton of money on extra investigation and legal advice so they can charge A CORPSE, who they could not possibly convict of anything anyway, seeing how he's already dead.

Do I have that right?

It is typical for charges not to be pressed on people who are already dead, as far as I am aware. Likewise, it is typical for the government to NOT do legal investigation that would be used in a court for such charges, seeing as how dead people go in the ground, not jail. It is typical for them to stop at investigation of the crime itself.

As far as I am aware, the Orlando shooter also didn't have charges pressed against him, being that he is quite dead.

And if in the process of the crime investigation, which I'm sure will be extensive, they find that there are more perps, or he is connected to an organization, then they will reopen legal investigation for charges.

Holy crap. What the hell is in the water over there?
Fluoride, which oddly enough isn't in UK water

Their purpose is NOT "to affirm the equality of all people"

Your argument fails

Then what is their purpose? To arbitrarily increase sentences?

so if a white guy goes into BLACK club, guns black people down, and while shooting he can be heard yelling he hates blacks, then is killed by police later in that very club.........its not hate crime, because he's now dead?

meaning because he's dead, the hate crime vanished

No, it means no one will be charged with a hate crime

Reading....it's fundamental

Then what is their purpose? To arbitrarily increase sentences?

To impose tougher penalties for a subset of crimes that cause a greater harm to society

Maybe you haven't noticed this yet but, in the US, we apply different punishments for different crimes

Well, he's dead. So why would the DOJ investigate charges of a dead man?

Back
Top Bottom