• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attempt at a 'Citizen's Arrest' in Georgia by 3 White Vigilantes results in death for 1 Black Man

Trippy Trekker

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Screenshot_2020-04-30 Gregory McMichael Travis McMichael youtube - Google Search.jpg

On the left, the two white vigilante killers of Ahmaud Arbery. They still remain free.

The February 23rd unjustified killing of Ahmaud Arbery, 25, in Brunswick, Georgia, highlights that even in the midst of COVID-19 American racism is alive and well.
White racist violence and the murder of Black people remain unabated even during a deadly global pandemic.
Arbery was killed by Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son Travis McMichael, 34. Arbery was jogging past the McMichael home when the McMichaels claimed Arbery looked like a burglary suspect and decided to pursue him—with guns. None of these white vigilantes has been charged with anything.

VIGILANTE KILLERS OF BLACK MAN IN GEORGIA ARE FREE BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE | Black Star News

According to a police report, Gregory McMichael said he saw Arbery run by and recognized him from the break-ins. He and his 34-year-old son Travis McMichael then grabbed a shotgun and a pistol and got into their truck to go after Arbery, the report says.

Once they caught up to him, Gregory McMichael told investigators Arbery "violently" attacked Travis and the two fought "over the shotgun" before Travis shot twice and killed him.

The prosecutor who previously had the case said Travis acted out of self-defense and the pursuers acted within the scope of Georgia's citizen's arrest statute.

Mom of Ahmaud Arbery says he was chased and shot to death while jogging: "An arrest should have been made" - CBS News

Well, dang! Arbery's past included a shoplifting conviction, the perps claim to have acted within the scope of Georgia's Citizen's Arrest Statute, and perp, Gregory McMichael, use to work as an investigator for the local State Attorney.

By Georgia standards, maybe the situation does not merit charges? Heck, why make a court case out of just one dead Black Man with a cloudy past who resisted 3 Good White Men?

Even if he was a thief, you don't kill people for stealing. They didn't even do that during Jesus' time.

The victim's family got a lawyer, I hope it gets sorted out.

View attachment 67279500

On the left, the two white vigilante killers of Ahmaud Arbery. They still remain free.

VIGILANTE KILLERS OF BLACK MAN IN GEORGIA ARE FREE BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE | Black Star News

Mom of Ahmaud Arbery says he was chased and shot to death while jogging: "An arrest should have been made" - CBS News

Well, dang! Arbery's past included a shoplifting conviction, the perps claim to have acted within the scope of Georgia's Citizen's Arrest Statute, and perp, Gregory McMichael, use to work as an investigator for the local State Attorney.

By Georgia standards, maybe the situation does not merit charges? Heck, why make a court case out of just one dead Black Man with a cloudy past who resisted 3 Good White Men?

Just a note. "Shoplifting" normally refers to theft from a store of an item of value less than would be a felony, and therefore is a misdemeanor crime. About 30% of US adults have a criminal record, meaning at least a misdemeanor. A lot of people have a "cloudy" past.

I think this thread was meant to be sarcastic.

If nothing else, I hope the victim's family sues these men into the poor house.

View attachment 67279500

Does the term 'lynching' only apply to hanging or is it whenever vigilantes apply the death penalty?

According to this NYT article, not only had Arbery had previous convictions and mental health issues, there was a reported burglary in the neighborhood by a black male. It's better to wait this out for due diligence then to rush to conclusions like your articles have already done.

Mr. Barnhill wrote, in his letter, that Mr. Arbery had mental health issues, though he does not elaborate on this point, and that he had prior convictions. Court records show that Mr. Arbery was convicted of shoplifting and of violating probation in 2018. Five years earlier, according to The Brunswick News, he was indicted on charges that he took a handgun to a high school basketball game.

Those details, Mr. Barnhill argued, “help explain his apparent aggressive nature and his possible thought pattern to attack an armed man.”

Too bad the victim wasn't armed, he coulda shot both on contact.

Just a note. "Shoplifting" normally refers to theft from a store of an item of value less than would be a felony, and therefore is a misdemeanor crime. About 30% of US adults have a criminal record, meaning at least a misdemeanor. A lot of people have a "cloudy" past.

Even if he was a thief, you don't kill people for stealing. They didn't even do that during Jesus' time.

Does the term 'lynching' only apply to hanging or is it whenever vigilantes apply the death penalty?

I see the case as Black and White, as in Open & Shut, and consider the lack of charges abhorrent to my sensibilities.

Too many in Florida, my home state, pride themselves on having a city, Brooksville, named after a famous segregationist.

View attachment 67279500

Georgia law allows citizens to arrest a criminal who they’ve witnessed committing a crime. It also allows people to defend themselves with no duty to retreat.

I see no grounds for charges based on the facts presented.

Georgia law allows citizens to arrest a criminal who they’ve witnessed committing a crime. It also allows people to defend themselves with no duty to retreat.

I shudder to think how many knuckleheads agree with your reasoning!

View attachment 67279500

This is disgusting it’s like the Trayvon Martin case all over again. Of course they haven’t been arrested and are walking free. Just like Grorge Zimmerman, they start a confrontation and probably scared this guy to death, then killed him. I would say these guys are reckless and dangerous. they shouldn’t have guns because they’re morons

I would have called the police. why didn’t they do that? These guys seem like morons

That obviously seems very dangerous to me. It ignores the citizens due process, and obviously people could end up getting hurt. The average citizen of Georgia is also not a lawyer, nor probably understands the law enough to enforce it themselves.

The south is crazy

Too bad the victim wasn't armed, he coulda shot both on contact.

It’s Georgia.

A black man killing white ones, even— especially— to defend himself?

He’d be lucky to live three weeks if he didn’t get out of the state.

Even if the vigilantes are telling the truth, vigilantism— especially when the guy you are “arresting” dies— isn’t a good idea.

It’s Georgia.

A black man killing white ones, even— especially— to defend himself?

He’d be lucky to live three weeks if he didn’t get out of the state.

Even if the vigilantes are telling the truth, vigilantism— especially when the guy you are “arresting” dies— isn’t a good idea.

In Florida, armed kidnapping is a forcible felony. Under SYG, that's shoot first ask questions later.

I shudder to think how many knuckleheads agree with your reasoning!

Of course you do. As you made clear in post 8, your only concern in this matter is that it was between a white and a black. All other facts are irrelevant to you.

I would have called the police. why didn’t they do that? These guys seem like morons

They did call the police.

That obviously seems very dangerous to me. It ignores the citizens due process, and obviously people could end up getting hurt. The average citizen of Georgia is also not a lawyer, nor probably understands the law enough to enforce it themselves.

Breaking and entering isn't a crime most people would have trouble identifying.

The south is crazy

Luckily you are not required to visit.

In Florida, armed kidnapping is a forcible felony. Under SYG, that's shoot first ask questions later.

Again, the odds of anybody down there caring if the perpetrator is a minority and the victims are white is slim to none.

Again, the odds of anybody down there caring if the perpetrator is a minority and the victims are white is slim to none.

I suppose I've been spoiled by the diversity of South Florida. We're not so backwards.

Of course you do. As you made clear in post 8, your only concern in this matter is that it was between a white and a black. All other facts are irrelevant to you.....

Your narrative relies on alternative facts. I use to live in Georgia.

Please provide evidence implicating Mr. Arbery for the crime of Breaking and Entering.

I suppose I've been spoiled by the diversity of South Florida. We're not so backwards.

When it comes to the United States, my heartfelt loyalty lies with Florida, with exception to the panhandle. I'd cede it to Alabama for the right price!

According to this NYT article, not only had Arbery had previous convictions and mental health issues, there was a reported burglary in the neighborhood by a black male. It's better to wait this out for due diligence then to rush to conclusions like your articles have already done.
Besides, Arbery was black, so obviously suspicious, and his attackers were white, so above reproach.

A similar incident occurred near me a few years back. A fellow was out collecting abandoned scrap. He found some in a ditch and began loading it into his pickup. A fellow across the street grabbed his gun, chased him off, then shot him as he "tried to escape" (i.e., run away). Turns out the killer had stolen gathered the scrap himself, previously. He wasn't charged because it was "self defense" even though a) not within citizens arrest authority, and b) instigated by the killer. Sounds like Zimmerman's excuse.

Last edited:

They did not witness him committing a crime...

They grabbed guns and chased him down... they were not defending themselves...

They were some white robes, a burning cross and some rope away from a Klan Rally...

FFS. :roll:

There's nothing wrong with using lethal force against an armed kidnapping.

What crime did they witness, jogging while black???

back joggers must start arming themselves. that way the other two people would be dead.

Back
Top Bottom