• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Atta boy Australia!!!!!

Harshaw said:
Oh, no. You didn't say anything about "atmosphere." You said "drastically curtailed."

Let's see some examples.

Even IF you want to argue 'atmosphere', you have to prove it.

Do you feel opressed by the PA?

Are you constantly looking over your shoulder for the gov't boogieman that's waiting to jump out and yell, "TERRORIST!"? I know I'm not. I do nothing that would garner such a responce and any accusation wouldn't hold up in court, even if they could find a prosecuter who would touch it.

I don't buy the 'air of oppression' theory. The same could be said for many gov't agencies that aren't going anywhere. The IRS comes to mind in this respect.

I'm willing to bet a majority of Americans feel exactly as I do about this.

If we have to give up a few civil liberties to keep this country safe I am all for it.....I personally have nothing to hide........

Bottom line is thanks to the PA we have not had and attack on the USA since 9/11/01 and that is good enigh for me.............

Thank you Mr Ashcroft..........

Navy Pride said:
If we have to give up a few civil liberties to keep this country safe I am all for it.....I personally have nothing to hide........

Bottom line is thanks to the PA we have not had and attack on the USA since 9/11/01 and that is good enigh for me.............

That's the thing. Are we REALLY giving anything up in the way of civil liberties due to the PA?

I'm not seeing any. (I'd have some reservations with it, if it did)

Navy Pride said:

"He who would give up his liberties for temporary security deserves neither."
-Ben Franklin

No use debating with you, you just don't grasp the concept of the Constitution.

RightatNYU said:
"He who would give up his liberties for temporary security deserves neither."
-Ben Franklin

No use debating with you, you just don't grasp the concept of the Constitution.
and you do right?:roll: How about listing the liberties I have lost?:confused:

Huh? How is this an applaudable event?

Lets say I want to live in a predominantly "Religion Y" country and I want to practice "Religion X". Also I'm not doing any illicit act like abusing people or animals.

Should I be kicked out?

Rev:confused:

Navy Pride said:

The no-fly list. How does one who feels they are wrongly put on said list get his/her name off of it?

The government can read your emails. The government can check go through bank records.

I have nothing to hide in my emails or in my bank records that doesn't mean I want the government digging through them.

Gandhi>Bush said:
The no-fly list. How does one who feels they are wrongly put on said list get his/her name off of it?

The government can read your emails. The government can check go through bank records.

I have nothing to hide in my emails or in my bank records that doesn't mean I want the government digging through them.

The no fly list I support.......

Can you prove the other charges with a link?

Gandhi>Bush said:

And they could before the Patriot Act, too.

Navy Pride said:

There you go again generalizing.

I have no problem with the Patriot Act. I don't think its the greatest idea ever, but I also don't think it's infringing on civil liberties.

I DO have a problem with your "If we have to give up a few civil liberties to keep this country safe I am all for it.....I personally have nothing to hide........" attitude.

It's just an ignorant statement to make, looking at the history of our country.

What happened to the Republican party of smaller government?

RightatNYU said:
There you go again generalizing.

I have no problem with the Patriot Act. I don't think its the greatest idea ever, but I also don't think it's infringing on civil liberties.

I DO have a problem with your "If we have to give up a few civil liberties to keep this country safe I am all for it.....I personally have nothing to hide........" attitude.

It's just an ignorant statement to make, looking at the history of our country.

You say we are losing rights.I am just trying to find out what rights I am losing becasue i don't know of any I am losing.Please enlighten me........

as far as smaller government goes I am for that but because we have had 9/11/01, 2 wars and the worse natural disaster in the history of this country I might give the president a pass on that one.......

Did you know that every time we have been in a war this country has run in a deficit?

I see the elephants unde your name and Republican in your profile........Can I ask you if you voted for Bush or Kerry?

Navy Pride said:
You say we are losing rights.I am just trying to find out what rights I am losing becasue i don't know of any I am losing.Please enlighten me........

as far as smaller government goes I am for that but because we have had 9/11/01, 2 wars and the worse natural disaster in the history of this country I might give the president a pass on that one.......

Did you know that every time we have been in a war this country has run in a deficit?

Where did I say that we're losing rights? I said that your cavalier attitude toward giving them up would earn you a smack from any one of the founding fathers.

I'm well aware that wars cost money, and that they run up a deficit. The spending that I have a problem with is the other discretionary spending. Logic dictates that when something takes money out of your budget, you'd better have a way to replace that money. Bush's "Throw money at the problem" principle is more like liberals of old.

Of course, he gets enough support from the bible thumping, abortion doctor killing rabid right wing to drown out the voices of the more moderate, common sense, fiscal republicans.

Bush's current policies are incredibly similar to what resulted in 92...the fiscal conservative wing of the Rep party defecting to a Perot type candidate. I would prefer that not happen, but if he keeps going the way he is, any republican who campaigns on the platform of being Bush's follower won't get my vote or support during the campaign.

RightatNYU said:
Where did I say that we're losing rights? I said that your cavalier attitude toward giving them up would earn you a smack from any one of the founding fathers.

I'm well aware that wars cost money, and that they run up a deficit. The spending that I have a problem with is the other discretionary spending. Logic dictates that when something takes money out of your budget, you'd better have a way to replace that money. Bush's "Throw money at the problem" principle is more like liberals of old.

Of course, he gets enough support from the bible thumping, abortion doctor killing rabid right wing to drown out the voices of the more moderate, common sense, fiscal republicans.

Bush's current policies are incredibly similar to what resulted in 92...the fiscal conservative wing of the Rep party defecting to a Perot type candidate. I would prefer that not happen, but if he keeps going the way he is, any republican who campaigns on the platform of being Bush's follower won't get my vote or support during the campaign.

I will worry about my rights if I see I am losing one.........I just know that since 9/11/01 we have not had a terrorist attack on this country and on 9/12/01 I would have predicted we would have one every other week just like Israel.........I believe the PA has helped in a big way to prevent terrorist acts.........

Now back to my question...In 2004 did you vote for Bush or Kerry?

Navy Pride said:
The no fly list I support......

Super. How does one who feels they are wrongly put on said list go about getting his name removed from said list?

Can you prove the other charges with a link?

http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html

SEC. 215. ACCESS TO RECORDS AND OTHER ITEMS UNDER THE FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE SURVEILLANCE ACT.
Title V of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (50 U.S.C. 1861 et seq.) is amended by striking sections 501 through 503 and inserting the following:

`SEC. 501. ACCESS TO CERTAIN BUSINESS RECORDS FOR FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE AND INTERNATIONAL TERRORISM INVESTIGATIONS.
`(a)(1) The Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation or a designee of the Director (whose rank shall be no lower than Assistant Special Agent in Charge) may make an application for an order requiring the production of any tangible things (including books, records, papers, documents, and other items) for an investigation to protect against international terrorism or clandestine intelligence activities, provided that such investigation of a United States person is not conducted solely upon the basis of activities protected by the first amendment to the Constitution.

(snip)

Also you can get a FISA wiretap and warrant alot easier than you can a criminal wiretap.

Gandhi>Bush said:
Super. How does one who feels they are wrongly put on said list go about getting his name removed from said list?

http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html

SEC. 215. ACCESS TO RECORDS AND OTHER ITEMS UNDER THE FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE SURVEILLANCE ACT.
Title V of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (50 U.S.C. 1861 et seq.) is amended by striking sections 501 through 503 and inserting the following:

`SEC. 501. ACCESS TO CERTAIN BUSINESS RECORDS FOR FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE AND INTERNATIONAL TERRORISM INVESTIGATIONS.
`(a)(1) The Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation or a designee of the Director (whose rank shall be no lower than Assistant Special Agent in Charge) may make an application for an order requiring the production of any tangible things (including books, records, papers, documents, and other items) for an investigation to protect against international terrorism or clandestine intelligence activities, provided that such investigation of a United States person is not conducted solely upon the basis of activities protected by the first amendment to the Constitution.

(snip)

Also you can get a FISA wiretap and warrant alot easier than you can a criminal wiretap.

Hey can I ask you are you a member of the Islamic faith?

As long as I am not getting blown up in airplanes most of those things don't bother me.......

As far as the no fly list if I was wrongly on it I would try and get my name off........I truly believe the people on that list are on their for a rason......

Navy Pride said:
I will worry about my rights if I see I am losing one.........I just know that since 9/11/01 we have not had a terrorist attack on this country and on 9/12/01 I would have predicted we would have one every other week just like Israel.........I believe the PA has helped in a big way to prevent terrorist acts.........

Now back to my question...In 2004 did you vote for Bush or Kerry?

You should worry about your rights no matter what. The attitude of "I'm not doing anything wrong, so what do I care?" is poisionous to our country.

And I spent much of 2004 travelling the tri-state area working on the Bush Campaign.

Wrap your mind around this: Not everyone who disagrees with you is a "flaming liberal." Nor does failing to march in lockstep with Bush's policies mean that someone isn't a Republican.

Mit Romney suggested something along these lines a few weeks back. He wanted to tap all Muslim hang outs including mosques. Didn't hear much in the media about it, but I believe Pelosi, and Kennedy tore the idea apart. Too bad, our refusal to break down the walls of political correctness may be our demise.

mistermain said:
Mit Romney suggested something along these lines a few weeks back. He wanted to tap all Muslim hang outs including mosques. Didn't hear much in the media about it, but I believe Pelosi, and Kennedy tore the idea apart. Too bad, our refusal to break down the walls of political correctness may be our demise.

Yes, well, Mitt Romney is a retard.

Navy Pride said:
Hey can I ask you are you a member of the Islamic faith?

I am not a member of the Islamic faith.

As long as I am not getting blown up in airplanes most of those things don't bother me.......

So do you think the government should do whatever it wants just as long as you don't get blown up in airplanes?

As far as the no fly list if I was wrongly on it I would try and get my name off........I truly believe the people on that list are on their for a rason......

If you were wrongly put on the no-fly list, you would be on there. There is no way to get off the list. You can't get a hearing. You can't prove your innocence. You can't do much of anything once you're on that list when it comes to getting off of it.

RightatNYU said:

That is the best question I've seen here to date.

Where, indeed, have they gone?

I'd really like to have them back.

RightatNYU said:
You should worry about your rights no matter what. The attitude of "I'm not doing anything wrong, so what do I care?" is poisionous to our country.

And I spent much of 2004 travelling the tri-state area working on the Bush Campaign.

Wrap your mind around this: Not everyone who disagrees with you is a "flaming liberal." Nor does failing to march in lockstep with Bush's policies mean that someone isn't a Republican.

Wow, that surprises me that you supported the president........You seem to have so much hate for him just like most of our liberal friends in this forum.....

I take it you live in New York........You of all people should be happy about the PA........Your city was hit and as I said before I would have bet abything that we would have had many more terrorist attacks after that day.......I think the PA is one of the major reasons why............It is a different world we live in today......9/11/01 changed everything......If a few of my rights are lost to keep this country safe and free from another terrorist attack so be it....

I am not a Republican although I am very Conservative and I have my differences with this president but the war on terror is not one of them....I lam a veteran of the Vietnam era and I don't want to see a repeat of what happened then........I don't think that will happen with this president.......

mistermain said:

I could not agree more..........People like Kennedy and Pelosi are hurting this country for strictly political reasons............By their actions they could very easily bring this country down.......

RightatNYU said:
Yes, well, Mitt Romney is a retard.

Another puzzling comment by a self proclaimed republican.....why do you say that?

Gandhi>Bush said:
I am not a member of the Islamic faith.

So do you think the government should do whatever it wants just as long as you don't get blown up in airplanes?

If you were wrongly put on the no-fly list, you would be on there. There is no way to get off the list. You can't get a hearing. You can't prove your innocence. You can't do much of anything once you're on that list when it comes to getting off of it.

I did not say that but I see no real loss of rights

If you were wrongly put on the no-fly list, you would be on there. There is no way to get off the list. You can't get a hearing. You can't prove your innocence. You can't do much of anything once you're on that list when it comes to getting off of it

I don't believe that........If I was wrongly put on the list I believe I could find a way to get off it.........

RightatNYU said:
"Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by
saying he supported spies monitoring the nation's mosques."

They damn well should be angered.

That's absurd.

They should be allowed to plan terrorist attacks in peace dammit...

The biggest problem would seem to be that all these countries are smarter then we are. And when they stop allowing these people easy access to their country they will come here. And we know we will allow anyone in, even if there wearing a martry vest and chanting the death prayer. Because there is no way we can go about hurting there feelings. It's worth 1000S of lives to make sure that the target rich country stays open and accessible

Back
Top Bottom