• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atlas is coming!!

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I don't think anyone doubts that animatronic warfare will be part of our future but one has to wonder...how far off is it?

Well, here's a clip of a DARPA project which has been going on for a few years and the advances are, in a word, startling!

It was DARPA who was behind creating the internet for the U.S. Air Force.

That's why any time any lefty gets on the internet attacking the military industrial complex or defense spending I laugh until I wet my skivvies.

Now DARPA did come up with some garbage like the M-16 rifle.

Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency

Still quite a lot of details to work out with this thing. Uneven and/or slick terrain, wet environments and of course the biggie - power source. Though it does look good for the Robot Combat League. :mrgreen:

Still quite a lot of details to work out with this thing. Uneven and/or slick terrain, wet environments and of course the biggie - power source. Though it does look good for the Robot Combat League. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, Atlas will fall in the hands of local law enforcement.

It's bad enough that local police SWATT with submachine guns are kicking down doors to arrest some civilian who has a bench warrant for not paying a parking ticket. Having a bunch of robots kicking down doors to apprehend someone who forgot to return a book they checked out at the library is scarry.

But having Atlas robots patrolling our borders could secure our borders.

The end game is, we all will become dependent on government because we will be replaced by robots with nothing to do for a living, be it driving a truck, serving our meals at a restaurant or building a home. The biggest losers will be illegal aliens from Mexico, Atlas will be cutting our lawns, cleaning our toilets, taking our orders at McDonalds and getting the order right and washing the dishes.

There's a good chance that the Democrats will run ATLAS for President.

I don't think anyone doubts that animatronic warfare will be part of our future but one has to wonder...how far off is it?

Well, here's a clip of a DARPA project which has been going on for a few years and the advances are, in a word, startling!

That's not an Atlas war robot. This is a Atlas war robot. :mrgreen:mechwarrior-project-200907080426369[1].jpg

Perfect for dealing with those nosey neighbors, local hoodlums and ravening zombie hordes.

Unfortunately, Atlas will fall in the hands of local law enforcement.

It's bad enough that local police SWATT with submachine guns are kicking down doors to arrest some civilian who has a bench warrant for not paying a parking ticket. Having a bunch of robots kicking down doors to apprehend someone who forgot to return a book they checked out at the library is scarry.

But having Atlas robots patrolling our borders could secure our borders.

The end game is, we all will become dependent on government because we will be replaced by robots with nothing to do for a living, be it driving a truck, serving our meals at a restaurant or building a home. The biggest losers will be illegal aliens from Mexico, Atlas will be cutting our lawns, cleaning our toilets, taking our orders at McDonalds and getting the order right and washing the dishes.

There's a good chance that the Democrats will run ATLAS for President.

Its a double edged sword. "Law Enforcement" might run into that buzz saw themselves.

Power source is definitely a big deal. No power source is compact or dense enough in power production save micronized fission to be of much use. And nobody is going near a walking fission reactor.

If I was designing war robots the humanoid form is NOT one I would be inclined to use save for psychological operations and very specific terrain and engagement parameters. I would tend to tracked and or micro flyers.

Its a double edged sword. "Law Enforcement" might run into that buzz saw themselves.

I'm sure the criminal element in our society are already thinking of using ATLAS for robbing banks and as getaway drivers.
But then again when you look at gang bangers, they aren't the brightest bulb on a Christmas tree.

It was DARPA who was behind creating the internet for the U.S. Air Force.

That's why any time any lefty gets on the internet attacking the military industrial complex or defense spending I laugh until I wet my skivvies.

Now DARPA did come up with some garbage like the M-16 rifle.

Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency

Yeah, ya gotta watch those 'lefties'. Good thing we only allow right wing extremists to serve in our military.

Yeah, ya gotta watch those 'lefties'. Good thing we only allow right wing extremists to serve in our military.

98% of those working for DARPA are civilians.

Over 99 % who work in the military defense industries are civilians.

The majority of those involved in the defense manufacturing of weapons platforms are union members. Well paid individuals who have a skill and accounts why it cost America so much money to build any thing for our national defense.

You have to admit Wiggen, those who are the enemy of the military industrial complex fail to look at what spinoffs end up being used by Americans in their everyday lives like the computer and the internet, cell phones, satellite and cable TV, GPS, cordless drill, getting on a commercial jet airliner, microwave oven, etc. All were developed because of the American military industrial complex.

Now I think this thread should be closed down because some extreme liberal will come bye and see how scary looking ATLAS looks and will drop a dime and have Nancy Pelosi or Barbara Boxer shut down the ATLAS program because ATLAS looks scary looking. They did the same thing with scary looking rifles.

Looks cool, but why is it human like?!?

Fallen.

Probably because the end game is for it to replace many of the roles that humans currently serve. Almost by definition, any such machine will be humanlike.

Now I think this thread should be closed down because some extreme liberal will come bye and see how scary looking ATLAS looks and will drop a dime and have Nancy Pelosi or Barbara Boxer shut down the ATLAS program because ATLAS looks scary looking. They did the same thing with scary looking rifles.

105877408_9eeee459c2_o.gif

Get your partisan bull**** out of this thread.

Probably because the end game is for it to replace many of the roles that humans currently serve. Almost by definition, any such machine will be humanlike.

If its military there's very little use for a human like robot that I could see especially if its autonomous and weaponised. No point to adding unnecessary complications. Agriculture robots the same. Why have to short arms and legs when you need to pick fruit efficiently, pull weeds ect.. The human form would be best for domestic servers and such SEEN by the public and I personally would shy away from making them very human like. More like say C3PO and R2D2 or WALL-E.

I'm sure the criminal element in our society are already thinking of using ATLAS for robbing banks and as getaway drivers.
But then again when you look at gang bangers, they aren't the brightest bulb on a Christmas tree.

The bright ones generally don't get caught. Gang bangers are thugs, nothing more. Just muscle for hire.

105877408_9eeee459c2_o.gif

Get your partisan bull**** out of this thread.

There's an old Marine Corps saying, there's always someone who hasn't got the word.

It seems that you haven't got the word, Obama has politicized the U.S. military just like every other executive branch of the government including the IRS.

In layman terms, the U.S. military has gone gay in the name of liberal political correctness.

The bright ones generally don't get caught. Gang bangers are thugs, nothing more. Just muscle for hire.

There are some smart ones out there.

You have those who use a gun with threat of violence to rob a bank and you have those who can use a computer to rob a bank.

In LE Latino and black gang bangers are called typical low life street thugs.

1% OMG like the Hells Angels are well organized crime organizations that have some of the best lawyers on retainment.

If its military there's very little use for a human like robot that I could see especially if its autonomous and weaponised. No point to adding unnecessary complications. Agriculture robots the same. Why have to short arms and legs when you need to pick fruit efficiently, pull weeds ect.. The human form would be best for domestic servers and such SEEN by the public and I personally would shy away from making them very human like. More like say C3PO and R2D2 or WALL-E.

Specialization has its benefits, of course. But so does versatility. A hay mower is a damn efficient machine for slicing down hay. It's not very good at pounding posts for fences.

Specialized drones and military machines are great at their hyperfocused specialities. But they're not versatile like a grunt is. The point of a human-like robot would be to capture that versatility so that it can replace a human in doing a wide variety of wildly different tasks. The way I envision it is a you could just feed these Atlas robots different software programs. Feed it one program and it loads shells into an artillery cannon. Feed it another program and it will search a house feared to contain an IED. Feed it another program and it will operate a checkpoint, stopping passersby to scan their whatever-pass. Feed it another program and it will stack sandbags. You get the picture. As I already said, the end goal is to take over the role of a human. That necessitates versatility and it means that the robot will share many of the same basic features that humans have.

Besides, there's no reason we can't continue to make hyper-specialized military equipment and also create versatile human replacements. Saying we need to do one or the other is a false dichotomy.

There's an old Marine Corps saying, there's always someone who hasn't got the word.

It seems that you haven't got the word, Obama has politicized the U.S. military just like every other executive branch of the government including the IRS.

In layman terms, the U.S. military has gone gay in the name of liberal political correctness.

Do you have difficulty reading lips?

Lets not forget they are going to encase the Exo Skeleton for Soldiers, looking to make it Completely bulletproof.

Plus the Japanese are working on Robots.....not only for androids. But for Mech Warriors. Like something out of Battle Tech.

Do you have difficulty reading lips?

I don't read lips.

Do you ?

Many Americans use to read lips back in 1988 but by 1990 it was proven to be a pseudoscience.

Then you have the problem with those liberal men and women who have bushy mustaches that hide their lips.

I think the industrial era is only meant to be a launching point for other kinds of sustainable technologies once this fossil fuel paradigm comes to an end. At such time, the technologies we rely upon will mostly be utilitarian. Any semblance of that which is happening now is going to fade once the oil stops flowing, as we won't have the energy capital to pursue these worthless avenues of destruction anymore.

The American fantasy of robot wars is never coming true, which by the way, only Americans seem to have wet dreams of. Seriously, is war, violence, and better weaponry all you people think about?

Specialization has its benefits, of course. But so does versatility. A hay mower is a damn efficient machine for slicing down hay. It's not very good at pounding posts for fences.

Specialized drones and military machines are great at their hyperfocused specialities. But they're not versatile like a grunt is. The point of a human-like robot would be to capture that versatility so that it can replace a human in doing a wide variety of wildly different tasks. The way I envision it is a you could just feed these Atlas robots different software programs. Feed it one program and it loads shells into an artillery cannon. Feed it another program and it will search a house feared to contain an IED. Feed it another program and it will operate a checkpoint, stopping passersby to scan their whatever-pass. Feed it another program and it will stack sandbags. You get the picture. As I already said, the end goal is to take over the role of a human. That necessitates versatility and it means that the robot will share many of the same basic features that humans have.

Besides, there's no reason we can't continue to make hyper-specialized military equipment and also create versatile human replacements. Saying we need to do one or the other is a false dichotomy.

A humanoid robot replacement for human beings I don't really see, as to be frank, the humanoid form is while versatile for what it is, actually quite dependent on tools. Simply further automating the tools themselves is more efficient, material, time and resource wise. That said you are correct there are plenty of uses for a humanoid type robot, I just don't think that the human form in its strictest sense will be the prime form for general usage. Nor will it be as wide spread as you think. I think it will be a very modified form and as time goes on more and more modified. The two arms two legs plan form is flexible but there are other designs that are more flexible which I think as we progress will be tended toward more often the standard human model.

I think the industrial era is only meant to be a launching point for other kinds of sustainable technologies once this fossil fuel paradigm comes to an end. At such time, the technologies we rely upon will mostly be utilitarian. Any semblance of that which is happening now is going to fade once the oil stops flowing, as we won't have the energy capital to pursue these worthless avenues of destruction anymore.

The American fantasy of robot wars is never coming true, which by the way, only Americans seem to have wet dreams of. Seriously, is war, violence, and better weaponry all you people think about?

In a word, Yes.:tongue4:

Back
Top Bottom