• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atlanta radio hosts fired after making fun of Steve Gleason, who suffers from ALS

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I agree with your general opinion of these kind of shows but in that context, I can't help wondering if they actually went further in their treatment of this man than they do with other celebrities. The outrage seems to be more about "making fun of" someone with a serious medical condition than what they actually said.

If they did exactly the same kind of thing about someone who is overweight, has a drinking problem, isn't very smart or isn't considered very attractive would there be the same kind of response? Shouldn't there be?

I listened to the clip. It was utterly repulsive, and they were giggling all the way through it. This poor man with als can't speak, can't eat, can't talk, and can only communicate with his eyes looking at a computerized keyboard. They ridiculed Gleason, mocked him, made a "robotic voice" say that it would be a favor if someone killed him then declare that he was going to hell.

If anyone is going to hell, it's the soulless assholes who were responsible for this reprehensible act.

I listened to the clip. It was utterly repulsive, and they were giggling all the way through it. This poor man with als can't speak, can't eat, can't talk, and can only communicate with his eyes looking at a computerized keyboard. They ridiculed Gleason, mocked him, made a "robotic voice" say that it would be a favor if someone killed him then declare that he was going to hell.

If anyone is going to hell, it's the soulless assholes who were responsible for this reprehensible act.
One of the three radio guys was interviewed on CNN today trying to defend himself.

Still not a big deal. In the time it took you to make this post, there were probably hundreds of people across America poking fun at Dr. Hawking for speaking in a robot voice.

Family Guy does it consistently.

The radio station had to fire them. It is a business that relies on advertisements bought by companies. No company wants to be anyway affiliated with a broadcast making juvenile humor of a man who is slowly dying.
I imagine everyone here has known a family member or friend who has died from ALS. Can't think of a worst disease process off the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom