• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atlanta Education System caught in Massive Cheating Scandal

Sure. I don't believe money is going to change the situation. We can pay teachers $150,000 a year but if the student doesn't believe an education is important there isn't a huge difference that a teacher can make.

I don't put the blame on teachers as in the big picture. Of course there are bad teachers. There are far more bad students and parents.

The story in the OP puts truth to the fact that the system is corrupt.

The story in the OP puts truth to the fact that the system is corrupt.

I noted that there are bad teachers. Unfortunately (and this in NO way excuses their actions) they were instructed to do the impossible. They were told that they would be judged upon their ability to teach the unteachable.

I agree with standards for teachers but I'm not sure what the best way to go about that is.

Who said student s didnt play a role? Or parents? Do you just insist on ignoring **** that has already been posted due to your incessant need to both create arguments that arent there and then be right about your non-existent arguments? This ATL scandal is about teachers. Schools are failing across the country. As IU said several posts ago BLAME THE STUDENTS...BLAME THE PARENTS. But the schools are failing for a VARIETY of reasons and it all needs to change.

First, we were not speakig to one another just about the scandel, but about whether schools are failing to do their job. I suggest they are teaching on the whole. This is evidenced by the fact that students do in fact come out of k-12 prepared for college. From the same schools you get students who are prepared and students who are not. Explain to me what is the difference between those who are prepared and those who are not, from the same schools, with the same teachers?

Yes, there are a variety of reasons any student fails, but as mentioned above, the present testing system tells us little to nothing about the teahcers or the schools. Frankly, it doesn't tell us much about the students either, as they have no stake in the test. I suggest the larger problem is a society that 1) doesn't value education as it should, 2) seeks blame more than answer, 3) doesn't respect teachers and 4) has lost control over children and allowed the loudest voices and not the most reasonable vocies the most power.

Back
Top Bottom