• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atheists - Do you celebrate Christmas?

Atheists - Do you celebrate Christmas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verax

Disappointed in Trump
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Atheists, if you celebrate Christmas in any way: put up a tree, exchange gifts, make special food; go ahead and tick that yes box.

I'm atheist but I agree with some Christians: no holidays. I don't 'bah humbug' (much) and I enjoy gatherings, but holidays are obligatory gestures and I find those intrusive.

Yes. It's part of my War On Christmas™ by diluting it with my atheism.

Yes. It's part of my War On Christmas™ by diluting it with my atheism.

It's good to put a lil work in on the inside, if one can stomach it.

Yes, there is just something about it and plus being in snow country adds to it.

A bigger question should be: Do Christians celebrate Santa Claus?

Yes, there is just something about it and plus being in snow country adds to it.

A bigger question should be: Do Christians celebrate Santa Claus?

I doubt progressives celebrate Santa because he uses slave elf labor.

I am an atheist and I celebrate Xmas, my reason is because I love watching the innocent children on Xmas morning and their delight brings happiness to all. Nothing to do with I being religious or not.

By the way Christmas is a pagan holiday that original celebrated winter solace and the return of the Sun God. The so-called son of god was supposedly born in early spring during tax collection of the Romans.

Yep..We have a huge house and a huge,diverse family. ( 4 generations ) It's kinda like a Griswold gathering for us. Any one who is a downer gets 'the biz' big time..Usually around 35 to 40 people. Fun while it lasts, but better when it's over.

Atheists, if you celebrate Christmas in any way: put up a tree, exchange gifts, make special food; go ahead and tick that yes box.

One of those face palm moments by you.

Atheism is nothing more than a lack of belief in a god and nothing more than that, period.

It really has nothing to do with what is essentially nothing more than a cultural norm.

Do i ignore the various embellishments of christians such a nativity scenes, anti global warming murder of trees or what is nothing more than an add for a coca cola santa. The answer is yes. But that has more to do with the fact that i can not be bothered with the crap that comes from a global marketing scheme to spend money on useless **** that i don't really want.

That's an interesting question. Wish you had included the option "I'm not an atheist ... I just want to see the poll results when I open the thread." :)

Edit: Ah, 6 to 0 to 0 at the moment.

Growing up, Christmas was never celebrated as christian or religious, even though my mother was christian and my father was a non-practicing catholic. Thanks to my parents, this has carried on into my adult years.

Last edited:
Growing up, Christmas was never celebrated as christian or religious, even though my mother was christian and my father was a non-practicing catholic. Thanks to my parents, this has carried on into my adult years.

True...Xmas is a commercial enterprise on steroids.

Stupid and clownish poll:

Atheists do not believe in ANY Gods, including Satan.

And speaking of Satan, the Abrahamic God displays a vast number of Satanic traits, obviously, as when a newborn baby dies in his parents' arms.

Yes I do and it's my absolute favorite holiday. For me it's not the religious aspect but the sentiment expressed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's good to put a lil work in on the inside, if one can stomach it.

I've long since accepted that I will never be remembered for the effort I put into undermining Christmas. I do this for the greater good; not for my own ego.

I don't celebrate Christmas, but I observe it. Mainly because my family and friends celebrate the day.

In an ideal world I'd go to the Bahamas November 24th and return January 2nd.

I doubt progressives celebrate Santa because he uses slave elf labor.

I am an atheist and I celebrate Xmas, my reason is because I love watching the innocent children on Xmas morning and their delight brings happiness to all. Nothing to do with I being religious or not.

By the way Christmas is a pagan holiday that original celebrated winter solace and the return of the Sun God. The so-called son of god was supposedly born in early spring during tax collection of the Romans.

OTOH, Santa brings bags full of free stuff and doesn't use fossil fuels to deliver it. I'm sure any day that can be labeled tax collection day would be a day for celebration.

Sounds progressive to me.

Last edited:
We do out of family tradition, but we're also pretty keen on the 1-2 weeks in the Bahamas. We were close this year, maybe next year.

Yes, we celebrate Christmas. We do the tree, the lights, the meals, the gifts, Santa, and the songs (even some of the more popular religious ones).

The only thing we don’t do is a nativity scene.

Incorrect, although close. Christmas is indeed a Christian holiday originated by the early church. At one point however, they decided to place the celebration close to the winter solstice in order to usurp it from the various pagan religions of the time. It similar to the reason they changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, so that Easter always falls on the Sabbath. Later changes were made that shifted the day from sunset to sunset into midnight to midnight.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Yes, we celebrate Christmas. We do the tree, the lights, the meals, the gifts, Santa, and the songs (even some of the more popular religious ones).

The only thing we don’t do is a nativity scene.
I know plenty of non Christians who sing the religious song. Some of them are just beautiful. I have pagan siblings, and there are many of their songs I sing because I like them.

I know plenty of non Christians who sing the religious song. Some of them are just beautiful. I have pagan siblings, and there are many of their songs I sing because I like them.

I appreciate art. If a song is pretty sounding, it is pretty sounding. I also like visiting old Catholic Churches. I may disagree with their beliefs, but they sure knew how to build beautiful structures.

I appreciate art. If a song is pretty sounding, it is pretty sounding. I also like visiting old Catholic Churches. I may disagree with their beliefs, but they sure knew how to build beautiful structures.

The construction methods are amazing to me. Masons ruled; all the columns and nothing is out of place.......what was the Ken Follet series....Pillars of the Earth, kind of a slog; I haven’t tried the second volume yet....

The construction methods are amazing to me. Masons ruled; all the columns and nothing is out of place.......what was the Ken Follet series....Pillars of the Earth, kind of a slog; I haven’t tried the second volume yet....

I could swear I read that book in school for something.

I could swear I read that book in school for something.

The TV series was decent, but I had seen “Deadwood” before “Pillars of the Earth,” I couldn’t shake that I was see in Al Swearingen from “Deadwood” when he appears in “Pillars...”

Merry Christmas to you and yours.....you seem like a reasonable member here..........respect!

Back
Top Bottom