• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atheists, Ad Hom, Intelligence

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
We have at least two of our theist friends who seemingly can't make even a single post without including some sort of ad hom. So I decided to do some research regarding it, and here's the result:

1. IT CAN MAKE YOU LOOK UNINTELLIGENT

Smart people use ad hominem arguments, it’s true. But ad hominem attacks are generally viewed as a sign of low intelligence. Even Urban Dictionary—hardly a forum for high brows—recognizes that ad hominem arguments are generally used “by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.”
There’s no doubt that some ad hominem attacks can be clever. But to be viewed as a person of intelligence, one must learn to counter and debunk arguments, not simply deride or smear people.

Summary: ad hom is mostly used by the unintelligent.

Some other reasons to avoid ad hom:

"2. It Destroys Civil Discourse
“Avoiding ad hominem attacks is, in fact, a foundational element of civil discourse,” writes Geher, professor of psychology at the State University of New York at New Paltz. “[As] hard as it may seem, most people, regardless of where they stand politically, share the same goals of making this world a better place. In a climate beleaguered with disagreement, let’s remember that all discourse should be respectful and civil. Avoiding the ad hominem attack is a basic aspect of best practices in political discourse.”

4. It Ends Fruitful Discussion of Ideas
One of the best ways to sharpen the mind and get closer to truth is to challenge one’s own ideas. This often involves dialogue with other people. Because people rarely see eye to eye on all matters, it’s not unusual for debates and disagreements to occur. This is entirely proper. The fruitfulness of discussion depends largely on how well people are able to listen to one another and respectfully exchange ideas. Once a discussion grows heated, it makes a fruitful exchange of ideas more difficult. When the ad hominem appears, it’s generally a sign that a healthy exchange of ideas is no longer possible."

For more info: 5 Reasons to Avoid Ad Hominem Arguments - Foundation for Economic Education

In addition, this was a recent post by one of those aforementioned theist chatter friends:

"Do you really not see? atheism is sheer vacuousness, the emperor's new clothes, fake erudition, supercilious waffle, a comfort blanket, that's ultimately all it is, whether it be Dawkins or anyone else."

Yes, this chatter regularly insults the intelligence of atheists, both in a personal and generalized manner, and so I also did some research in that area and here's what I found: Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People? | Live Science

"For more than a millennium, scholars have noticed a curious correlation: Atheists tend to be more intelligent than religious people.
It's unclear why this trend persists, but researchers of a new study have an idea: Religion is an instinct, they say, and people who can rise above instincts are more intelligent than those who rely on them.
"Intelligence — in rationally solving problems — can be understood as involving overcoming instinct and being intellectually curious and thus open to non-instinctive possibilities," study lead author Edward Dutton, a research fellow at the Ulster Institute for Social Research in the United Kingdom, said in a statement.

Scientists ran a meta-analysis of 63 studies and found that religious people tend to be less intelligent than nonreligious people. The association was stronger among college students and the general public than for those younger than college age, they found."

I can certainly agree if the small sample in this forum is any indication. In my short time, here, I have been very impressed with the thoughtfulness and reason and (for most) CALMNESS in which the atheists make their case. I will simply leave it there rather than post any negativity towards our theists friends in here.

Your thoughts?

We have at least two of our theist friends who seemingly can't make even a single post without including some sort of ad hom. So I decided to do some research regarding it, and here's the result:

Smart people use ad hominem arguments, it’s true. But ad hominem attacks are generally viewed as a sign of low intelligence. Even Urban Dictionary—hardly a forum for high brows—recognizes that ad hominem arguments are generally used “by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.”
There’s no doubt that some ad hominem attacks can be clever. But to be viewed as a person of intelligence, one must learn to counter and debunk arguments, not simply deride or smear people.

“Avoiding ad hominem attacks is, in fact, a foundational element of civil discourse,” writes Geher, professor of psychology at the State University of New York at New Paltz. “[As] hard as it may seem, most people, regardless of where they stand politically, share the same goals of making this world a better place. In a climate beleaguered with disagreement, let’s remember that all discourse should be respectful and civil. Avoiding the ad hominem attack is a basic aspect of best practices in political discourse.”

One of the best ways to sharpen the mind and get closer to truth is to challenge one’s own ideas. This often involves dialogue with other people. Because people rarely see eye to eye on all matters, it’s not unusual for debates and disagreements to occur. This is entirely proper. The fruitfulness of discussion depends largely on how well people are able to listen to one another and respectfully exchange ideas. Once a discussion grows heated, it makes a fruitful exchange of ideas more difficult. When the ad hominem appears, it’s generally a sign that a healthy exchange of ideas is no longer possible."

For more info: 5 Reasons to Avoid Ad Hominem Arguments - Foundation for Economic Education

In addition, this was a recent post by one of those aforementioned theist chatter friends:

"Do you really not see? atheism is sheer vacuousness, the emperor's new clothes, fake erudition, supercilious waffle, a comfort blanket, that's ultimately all it is, whether it be Dawkins or anyone else."

Yes, this chatter regularly insults the intelligence of atheists, both in a personal and generalized manner, and so I also did some research in that area and here's what I found: Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People? | Live Science

"For more than a millennium, scholars have noticed a curious correlation: Atheists tend to be more intelligent than religious people.
It's unclear why this trend persists, but researchers of a new study have an idea: Religion is an instinct, they say, and people who can rise above instincts are more intelligent than those who rely on them.
"Intelligence — in rationally solving problems — can be understood as involving overcoming instinct and being intellectually curious and thus open to non-instinctive possibilities," study lead author Edward Dutton, a research fellow at the Ulster Institute for Social Research in the United Kingdom, said in a statement.

Scientists ran a meta-analysis of 63 studies and found that religious people tend to be less intelligent than nonreligious people. The association was stronger among college students and the general public than for those younger than college age, they found."

I can certainly agree if the small sample in this forum is any indication. In my short time, here, I have been very impressed with the thoughtfulness and reason and (for most) CALMNESS in which the atheists make their case. I will simply leave it there rather than post any negativity towards our theists friends in here.

Your thoughts?

And that right there shuts down the conversation...an exchange of ideas/beliefs/thoughts...you can no more prove yours than I can prove mine...all a person can do is offer convincing evidence...

And that right there shuts down the conversation...an exchange of ideas/beliefs/thoughts...you can no more prove yours than I can prove mine...all a person can do is offer convincing evidence...

I honestly with that one of you theists would! We keep asking for it and you all keep, to use another chatter's word, DEFLECTING instead of providing it to us.

I honestly with that one of you theists would! We keep asking for it and you all keep, to use another chatter's word, DEFLECTING instead of providing it to us.

Do you have a brain? Use it...

Okay, so you have no actual evidence and instead do one lame excuse deflection after another. POINT PROVEN AGAIN!

Wrong...you are not looking...

Jesus Christ died on the cross for you, but you're unwilling to even state your beliefs in a discussion forum. WOW!

Yeah, seems you already know that...btw, it was not a cross but a torture stake...

She is such a hypocrite. Her posts are full of ad homs and insults.

Okay, so you have no actual evidence and instead do one lame excuse deflection after another. POINT PROVEN AGAIN!

She is a card! And hopeless at discussing.

I wonder why Elvira joined a discussion site. All she does is parrot JW propaganda and insult.

Your thoughts?

who??

I wonder why Elvira joined a discussion site. All she does is parrot JW propaganda and insult.

And all you do is parrot atheist nonsense and insults...I wonder why you're here...

Last edited:
She is such a hypocrite. Her posts are full of ad homs and insults.

You wouldn't recognize a true hypocrite if you looked in the mirror...;)

Jesus Christ died on the cross for you, but you're unwilling to even state your beliefs in a discussion forum. WOW!

Why must you continually, harass, troll theists? this is what you've been doing, like lots of atheists you have an urge to just attack them, hassle them over and over, is that what atheism is for you? a pretext for persecuting people who don't share your unhinged theories about reality?

Why must you continually, harass, troll theists? this is what you've been doing, like lots of atheists you have an urge to just attack them, hassle them over and over, is that what atheism is for you? a pretext for persecuting people who don't share your unhinged theories about reality?

More psychological projection from you. You are the one who made the statement that "Do you really not see? atheism is sheer vacuousness, the emperor's new clothes, fake erudition, supercilious waffle, a comfort blanket, that's ultimately all it is, whether it be Dawkins or anyone else."

Cab that be considered as an attack or a hassle or "persecuting"? And there is nothing at all "unhinged" about my reality. Just another ad hom from you.
I think that you just proved the point of this thread!

More psychological projection from you. You are the one who made the statement that "Do you really not see? atheism is sheer vacuousness, the emperor's new clothes, fake erudition, supercilious waffle, a comfort blanket, that's ultimately all it is, whether it be Dawkins or anyone else."

Cab that be considered as an attack or a hassle or "persecuting"? And there is nothing at all "unhinged" about my reality. Just another ad hom from you.

I don't go around starting threads hell bent on persecuting others for their beliefs, but I will get right in your face once you've started such a thread.

Um, he's right...you may wanna check your attitude 1st if you're looking for discussion...if not, just keep on behavin' exactly as you are and you'll get none...:roll:

I don't go around starting threads hell bent on persecuting others for their beliefs, but I will get right in your face once you've started such a thread.

Actually, the thread was based on your repeated hell-bent description of atheists in terms such as these: "Do you really not see? atheism is sheer vacuousness, the emperor's new clothes, fake erudition, supercilious waffle, a comfort blanket, that's ultimately all it is, whether it be Dawkins or anyone else."

You are basically calling atheists as unintelligent in a generalized manner. This thread was to produce evidence that such is not the case. Perhaps now you will be less likely to use such negative descriptions toward atheists.

Let's all keep it on this level: "2. It Destroys Civil Discourse

Thanks in advance.

Let us wait and see if Sherlock can discuss in an adult manner.

Wrong...you are not looking...

Why should we look, when there are billions of convinced theists who should be able to prove it to us? So far, all you have done is fail.

Back
Top Bottom