• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atheist Chaplains?

Didn't I say "Richard Dawkins" is the high priest? I kept it short and sweet and you still couldn't comprehend it?

Yes; but he has no cult following and thus cannot be a cult leader. So once again, who are the cult leaders?

Yes; but he has no cult following and thus cannot be a cult leader. So once again, who are the cult leaders?

Look in the mirror, that's where aethists think the answer lies.

The lack of imagination show by religious sheeple is stunning. they can only conceptualise in religious terms, even when insulting the non-religious.

Au Contraire. I can imagine atheists just being folks who don't believe in God. What the cult members do is run around constantly trying to convert christians, pontificating, bloviating and acting for all the world like the Bible Thumpers that they denigrate. Some of the longest threads I've ever seen were Bible Thumpers and cult atheists going at it over who's got the most righteous belief system.

Here is your problem. Everything that you disagree with is not something made up by Fox News.

"Atheists Seek Chaplain Role in the Military"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/us/27atheists.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

See, now it gets explained. They do not want to be a chaplain because they want a chaplain. they want a chaplain because they are part of the military structure that would allow them to take advantage of the resources like meeting places and group organization that come with that position. It is clearly defined here that they simply do not want the atheist chaplain to preside over religious ceremonies, but want the other benefits. You see, this is why you do not listen to faux news. Also, this is why the military might want to consider stripping the religious responsibilities from the secular responsibilities of a chaplain.

Au Contraire. I can imagine atheists just being folks who don't believe in God. What the cult members do is run around constantly trying to convert christians, pontificating, bloviating and acting for all the world like the Bible Thumpers that they denigrate. Some of the longest threads I've ever seen were Bible Thumpers and cult atheists going at it over who's got the most righteous belief system.

there is a difference between explaining science and trying to convert someone. Science is about evidence and facts and doesn't need your conversion, but it would be nice if you could understand it which is why people explain it to you.

I don't see why this is really such a big deal. Telling soldiers they can't have something because they want to call it one of your "special names"? Makes no sense.

See, now it gets explained. They do not want to be a chaplain because they want a chaplain. they want a chaplain because they are part of the military structure that would allow them to take advantage of the resources like meeting places and group organization that come with that position. It is clearly defined here that they simply do not want the atheist chaplain to preside over religious ceremonies, but want the other benefits. You see, this is why you do not listen to faux news. Also, this is why the military might want to consider stripping the religious responsibilities from the secular responsibilities of a chaplain.

The point is they already have counselors for that. The whole notion is ridiculous, as the OP was pointing out.

there is a difference between explaining science and trying to convert someone. Science is about evidence and facts and doesn't need your conversion, but it would be nice if you could understand it which is why people explain it to you.

Athiests go on theories, not solid science. :spin: :alert

The point is they already have counselors for that. The whole notion is ridiculous, as the OP was pointing out.

Actually, it is a bit more than counseling from what the NYT article says. Chaplains have the ability to organize meetings and delegate and promote events. That goes a bit beyond what a counselor does, and the chaplains seem to have control over meeting places for religious ceremonies that could also be used for secular meetings and discussions. So yes it would seem to be a bit more than a counselor, but perhaps to alleviate the confusion they should delegate the secular activities to another position rather than creating a atheist chaplain.

No, they go on solid science. If they did not go on solid science they would be more free to believe in many of the unsupported faiths out there.

You can solidly prove that there is no God? Science 100% backs up that claim and that there is 0% chance of intelligent design? No. It takes more faith to be an athiest than it does to believe in God.

Here is your problem. Everything that you disagree with is not something made up by Fox News.

"Atheists Seek Chaplain Role in the Military"

Then perhaps you will believe it when it comes from the Liberal New York Times:

Your bias is showing..... :alert

No because faux makes things up and then you get into silly discussions about atheist chaplains which is not something an atheist would push for. Atheists do not look for chaplains, priests, imams, rabbis, shrine maidens, nuns, pastors, spirit guides, shamans, witch doctors, or any other crazy crap faux news says they do for the sake of ridiculing them. It is an absurd claim from a bunch of conservative idiots who hate atheists and want to make fun of them. If an atheist wanted advice on some life aspect they would ask a counselor, advisor, scientist, doctor, teacher, parent, sibling, friend, or old drunk guy on the street. Non-religious, get it?

None of you are quite right. Here is the amendment that was voted down: http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/AtheistChaplains.pdf

MENDMENT TO H.R. 1960 OFFERED BY MR. ANDREWS OF NEW JERSEY

At the end of subtitle A of title V, add the following
new section:
SEC. 502. INCLUSION IN THE CHAPLAIN CORPS OF PER-
SONS AVAILABLE TO PROVIDE GUIDANCE
AND COUNSEL TO MEMBERS OF THE ARMED
FORCES WHO ARE ATHEIST, AGNOSTIC, OR
BELONG TO NO ORGANIZED FAITH GROUP.
The Secretary of Defense shall provide for the ap-
pointment, as officers in the Chaplain Corps of the Armed
Forces, of persons who are certified or ordained by non-
theistic organizations and institutions, such as humanist,
ethical culturalist, or atheist.

Not necessarily called chaplains, but a part of the chaplains corps.

You can solidly prove that there is no God? Science 100% backs up that claim and that there is 0% chance of intelligent design? No. It takes more faith to be an athiest than it does to believe in God.

Science cannot prove nor disprove any religion. It takes no faith to be an atheist, only an insistence that there must be some evidence for something before believing in it.

I cannot disprove god, but i can disprove any abrahamic god with science.

Yup, mutually exclusive terms.

Not a mutually exclusive role however. I can see the benefit. One of the key jobs(maybe the key job) of the chaplains is to provide emotional support for those who need it in an unofficial, relaxed setting. Many atheists would be hesitant to go to a religious chaplain for this since they don't want ot be preached at or offered support based on a god they do not believe in.

I thoroughly understand the difference between science and proselytizing. Science doesn't have to be preached and proselytized. Cult atheism, on the other hand, does. Or at least the cult atheists seem to think it does.

Thanks. Very helpful and saved me having to copy-paste it into Google myself.

And what can we find there? Dawkins' Wiki page is the top organic result, followed by bloggers and other decrying him as a cult leader, and not one person I can identify as a cult follower. So perhaps the cult is one that believes Dawkins is a leader fo some cult somewhere (in the minds of morons, is my guess).

From the Air Force website:
The Air Force Chaplain Corps provides spiritual care and the opportunity for Airmen, their families, and other authorized personnel to exercise their constitutional right to the free exercise of religion.

Back
Top Bottom