• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

At the only gun shop in Thousand Oaks, fearful residents decide it's time to buy a gun

TRUE Christians would NEVER support murder, the death penalty, wars, adultery, sexual assault, rape, pedophilia, racism, homophobia, sexism or greed. Sadly a lot of far right conservatives support all this **** and claim to be 'christian'.

Here we go with the anti-Christian bigotry.

TRUE Christians would NEVER support murder, the death penalty, wars, adultery, sexual assault, rape, pedophilia, racism, homophobia, sexism or greed. Sadly a lot of far right conservatives support all this **** and claim to be 'christian'.

credible evidence needed to support this claim

I understand what you're saying.... but do you understand me? Don't you feel like the "edge" you need to respond effectively in that kind of situation dulls over time?

If you mean do I recognize that I am less capable than I was 50 years ago, the answer is "yes", I do. However, I don't feel compelled have a specific amount of "edge". If you think about it logically, the chance that either one of us will ever be involved in a future firefight is so small as to approach zero. That said, carrying still gives me opportunities that I otherwise wouldn't have.

I just - if I were lucky enough to be able to do so - picture myself returning fire in that kind of a situation, and all I can picture is screaming people running in panic from one direction, only to be confronted with gunfire in another one.

I also once had lots of distressing images and thoughts in my head right after I was discharged. I was not able to overcome those problems on my own. I am now better able to visualize positive outcomes.

That's what I mean when I say an armed bystander has the potential to make an already terrible situation worse.

No argument. Another point of view is that there is also the potential to improve the situation.

Secondly, when and if the cops show up while the shooting is going on... they're not going to be able to tell if you're a shooter or a bystander.

Whether armed or unarmed, it is wise to be clear in your mind just what your "cops have arrived" strategies will be before they actually happen. There are a few cops who see all civilians as dangerous, and more than a few of them are vets with various levels of war baggage.

You figure back in the day when Jesus and the Apostles were wandering around the Galilee that they were carrying? Not Glock 17s of course... but some sort of self-defense? Swords or daggers or such?

Some carried swords. Others did not. Jesus once told his disciples to buy a sword.

February 13, 2005
At 3:15 pm, Robert Charles Bonelli, Jr., 25, armed with an AK-47 variant, began shooting in the Best Buy at the Hudson Valley Mall in Kingston, NY. The shooter continued firing as he ran farther and father into the mall until he ran out of ammunition. No one was killed; two people were wounded. The shooter was restrained by two mall workers until police arrived and took him into custody.

Are you going to tell me that out of the hundreds of people in that Mall that day, not one of them was armed?

No idea. Was the mall a gun free zone? Many oF them are. If there were, did they "make things worse"? I've given examples where an active shooter was stopped mid-attack by someone with a gun with no damage from the CCW holder to civilians. That's a positive outcome.

Got any examples where a CCW holder engaged an active shooter and made things worse?

Adding even more guns to a society plagued with violence, yeah, that'll magically make things safe. The country with the most guns per capita in the world is unsafe because we just don't have enough guns! :roll:

Gun sales are rising while violent crime is dropping. So there goes the theory of more guns, more crime.

Thousand Oaks is being ravaged by bushfires right now. Rather than rushing to the gun shop to buy guns, I would think the locals would be evacuating the area - like the authorities told them to.

Guns aren't banned at Trump rallies. The Secret Service has plenty of guns, at Trump rallies.

This is one of President Reagan's body guards. That's an Uzi sub-machine gun he's carrying.

The secret service have guns to protect trump. Who will protect the supporters at the rallies? trump supporters should be allowed to bring their own guns to the rallies - to protect themselves!

Do you think people who are f***ed in the head know they're f***ed in the head?

Being aware of your surroundings and taking pecuations is not a sign of mental illness.

The secret service have guns to protect trump. Who will protect the supporters at the rallies? trump supporters should be allowed to bring their own guns to the rallies - to protect themselves!

Stupid point.

Gun sales are rising while violent crime is dropping. So there goes the theory of more guns, more crime.

I thought violent crime was increasing. trump said so. Didn't you hear him talk about all those criminals coming here from Mexico? And there are thousands of murderers in that caravan that is heading to the US. And I read that there has been 307 mass shootings in the US in just 311 days. The year isn't over and I am sure there will be more mass shootings.

I thought violent crime was increasing. trump said so. Didn't you hear him talk about all those criminals coming here from Mexico? And there are thousands of murderers in that caravan that is heading to the US. And I read that there has been 307 mass shootings in the US in just 311 days. The year isn't over and I am sure there will be more mass shootings.

When did he say that?

How does having "moar gunz" save Thousand Oaks from the fires presently occupying the minds of the grieving survivors?

Had there been absolutely no armed resistance, the shooter might of shot a whole lot more people. Thankfully the police responded when they did. I only wish someone was able to respond quicker.

Some aspects of violent crime are in fact rising. However the overall graph shows that violent crime in on a downward trend. Also as a note, while there may be more mass shootings now (which is debatable) in raw numbers, when taken into account the US population, they are actually statistically on the decline.

Back
Top Bottom