• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
by Jim Hoft
June 16, 2013

Just in case you want more Obama in your life…
AT&T is loading iPhones with emergency alerts from Barack Obama…
That you can’t switch off.
emergency alerts att

245x368xemergency-alerts-att.jpg.pagespeed.ic.uAIdx-8eB2.jpg

Engadget reported:

AT&T has begun rolling out Wireless Emergency Alerts updates for iPhone 4S and 5, so you won’t be the last folks to know if the entire northern hemisphere is about to be covered in ice à la Day After Tomorrow.

You’ll receive a notification from the carrier when your update is ready, but only if you’re using iOS 6.1 or higher.

Once installed, AMBER and Emergency alerts are automatically sent to your phone unless you switch them off via Settings. However, should you be tired of Obama, just know that there’s no way to switch off Presidential alerts.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off | The Gateway Pundit

xobama-cult-250x200.jpg.pagespeed.ic.96HeUFrgHi.jpg

Aah yes, Big Brother is here and all his alphabet agency appointees will make sure he remains that way. Just don't think that because you're not a conservative that he doesn't have an eye on you.

Unfortunately, this is not new. Pretty much every phone made in the last couple years -- smart or dumb -- has these alerts, and the Presidential ones can't be disabled.

I hope they can localize it or that amber alert thing will be going off constantly.

I'm sure if they can record everyone they can figure out who to limit their alerts too!

I don't see the problem? I have them on my phone, and I've only gotten about 4 of them. 2 for imminent severe weather, and 2 for Amber alerts. Don't see how anyone should be upset about this.

I have gotten 1 or 2 too, I think just for severe weather. Is there really POTUS alerts?
I don't see the problem? I have them on my phone, and I've only gotten about 4 of them. 2 for imminent severe weather, and 2 for Amber alerts. Don't see how anyone should be upset about this.

Unfortunately, this is not new. Pretty much every phone made in the last couple years -- smart or dumb -- has these alerts, and the Presidential ones can't be disabled.

Really?? This is just weird. The article doesn't do a very good job of explaining. It lists Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts...says they can both be switched off. But doesn't show Presidential Alerts and doesn't explain that (I'm guessing) Presidential Alerts isn't even listed...

Just weird. This sounds like something invented by Sarah Connor.

haven't phones had presidential alerts for a while?

i assume they will mostly be used for stuff like "BTW nuke headed ur way WTFLOLBBQ."

:lol:

by Jim Hoft
June 16, 2013

emergency alerts att

Engadget reported:

AT&T has begun rolling out Wireless Emergency Alerts updates for iPhone 4S and 5, so you won’t be the last folks to know if the entire northern hemisphere is about to be covered in ice à la Day After Tomorrow.

You’ll receive a notification from the carrier when your update is ready, but only if you’re using iOS 6.1 or higher.

Once installed, AMBER and Emergency alerts are automatically sent to your phone unless you switch them off via Settings. However, should you be tired of Obama, just know that there’s no way to switch off Presidential alerts.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off | The Gateway Pundit

Aah yes, Big Brother is here and all his alphabet agency appointees will make sure he remains that way. Just don't think that because you're not a conservative that he doesn't have an eye on you.

Are you sure the "emergency alerts" are "Obama alerts"? Since the 1950s till today, radio and TV stations participate in something called The Emergency Alert System, formerly the Emergency Broadcast System. About 50% of the time these alerts and automatically break into regularly scheduled programming notify the public of weather emergencies like Tornado Watches, Hurricane Watches, Flash Flood Warnings, etc. and Amber Alters. The other 50% are "this is just a test" announcements to make sure the system is working. I'd be willing to bet money this service, hyped up by the thegatewaypundit as political fodder has absolutely nothing to do with President Obama or politics and will continue long after Obama leaves office just like the EAS has never had anything to do with pushing President Eisenhower political propaganda and continued long after Eisenhower left office. In fact, I'd further be willing to bet the service AT&T is offering is the exact same content as radio and TV's Emergency Alert System with maybe minus the the "test is just a test" alerts. My educated guess is the article is spin intended to stir up some Obama bashing. I guess this kind of thing is normal for the opposition of any incumbent. :confused:

Right wing nut paranoia? Thought so...

Even with PRISM, metadata, & OBAMA alerts to every phone they STILL can't determine who Doug Shulman or Lois Lerner talked to in the White House.

by Jim Hoft
June 16, 2013

emergency alerts att

Engadget reported:

[Excerpt]

Read more:

Wow what a great article, so much detail and information, however there was one thing missing that I would have liked to do, exactly what is a Presidental Alert?

Just a little missing detail...

Are you sure the "emergency alerts" are "Obama alerts"? Since the 1950s till today, radio and TV stations participate in something called The Emergency Alert System, formerly the Emergency Broadcast System. About 50% of the time these alerts and automatically break into regularly scheduled programming notify the public of weather emergencies like Tornado Watches, Hurricane Watches, Flash Flood Warnings, etc. and Amber Alters. The other 50% are "this is just a test" announcements to make sure the system is working. I'd be willing to bet money this service, hyped up by the thegatewaypundit as political fodder has absolutely nothing to do with President Obama or politics and will continue long after Obama leaves office just like the EAS has never had anything to do with pushing President Eisenhower political propaganda and continued long after Eisenhower left office. In fact, I'd further be willing to bet the service AT&T is offering is the exact same content as radio and TV's Emergency Alert System with maybe minus the the "test is just a test" alerts. My educated guess is the article is spin intended to stir up some Obama bashing. I guess this kind of thing is normal for the opposition of any incumbent. :confused:

That's exactly what it is, nice job putting two and two together, I had to google it first to figure that out.

If anyone wants a completely non-insane description of what this is, you can find it here:
Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) | FCC.gov

I have family members that beleiev all this stuff. That really does bother me.

I have family members that beleiev all this stuff. That really does bother me.

I have a good friend who is a really bright guy ask me a few years ago did I see the Superbowl on Sunday. I said yes, great game. Then he asked did I notice how Obama broke into the coverage (pre-game or maybe halftime, I forget) and "flipped the switch" in order to infiltrate America with his propaganda. That year Bill O'Rilley interviewed the President and that was seen by my friend as somehow a White House forced propaganda move.

Really?? This is just weird. The article doesn't do a very good job of explaining. It lists Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts...says they can both be switched off. But doesn't show Presidential Alerts and doesn't explain that (I'm guessing) Presidential Alerts isn't even listed...

Just weird. This sounds like something invented by Sarah Connor.

On most phones, including mine, Presidential Alerts are listed, but they're grayed out so you can't deactive them. Maybe it's not visible on the iPhone, which is shady. This may be solvable by rooting, but I don't know.

You can go into your text message settings and select "emergency alerts" to see them. I have both severe weather and Amber disabled. They tend to go off in the middle of the night about things that are 100 miles away anyway. And it's LOUD. Way louder than a normal ringtone.

Personally, I find the way they're implemented rather annoying. Which is to say, they can go off at any time, day or night, and on a lot of phones, they're EXTREMELY loud. Not only that, but they have really poor location detection, and they tend to go off for things that are 2 counties over. I disable both severe weather and Amber for that reason.

I remember when my dad got his first new phone in abut 8 years. He called me a week later freaked out and said, "WHAT IS IT AND HOW DO I SHUT IT OFF!?" His phone had started wailing at 3 in the morning even with it set to vibrate, and it nearly gave him a heart attack. It had just gone off a second time while he was trying to relax, and he nearly hit the ceiling.

Turns out it was those stupid alerts. Specifically, an Amber alert for someone in a different town, and it didn't even tell you anything about the child. His next question was "CAN I MAKE THEM GO AWAY!?"

I have Google Now set to give me alerts instead. It issues a polite notification blip that I could easily sleep through, and it's much better at sensing my location.

Last edited:

Why should people be harassed by alerts that don't care about? Be that weather, amber or presidential? For that matter, why should anyone have to deal with the president when they don't want too? Sorry, but some of us want to have control over what we buy and we don't like the idea of being harassed by the president.

Really, I hate to sound all conspiracy theorist, but it's really a bad sign when the president refuses to be ignored.

I get it that people care to hear the president but as someone that hates his guts, I don't. **** off Obama.

That's exactly what it is, nice job putting two and two together, I had to google it first to figure that out.

If anyone wants a completely non-insane description of what this is, you can find it here:
Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) | FCC.gov

Partially. Participating wireless carriers may offer subscribers with WEA-capable handsets the ability to block alerts involving imminent threats to safety of life and/or AMBER Alerts; however, consumers cannot block emergency alerts issued by the President.

Great, nothing dictatorship like about that.

I love when the government uses their power to regulate to harass it's citizens. What could possibly be better than that?

Great, nothing dictatorship like about that.

I love when the government uses their power to regulate to harass it's citizens. What could possibly be better than that?

I don't know if sending you a tornado warning, or warning you that a bomb has exploded in your city and it may be best to go home for the rest of the day, like what happened in Boston, is really harassment or dictatorial.

We didn't fight the Revolutionary War because the British were too eager to put out their weather alerts you know...

I don't know if sending you a tornado warning, or warning you that a bomb has exploded in your city and it may be best to go home for the rest of the day, like what happened in Boston, is really harassment or dictatorial.

Who the hell said I wanted to see his ugly ass grill on my phone and deal with a load ass ring. In any event, this is the beginning of having the president being forced down our throats, so of course you don't see a problem with it. There is no doubt this is harassment by the government.

We didn't fight the Revolutionary War because the British were too eager to put out their weather alerts you know...

We did however fight to get them out of our lives. See how these alerts puts them directly in our lives? Why should I have to deal with asshole #1 because something happened in my city that may or may not care about? I don't care if a bombing happened at some event if I'm busy doing something else. If I care I will get to it when I get to it.

Who the hell said I wanted to see his ugly ass grill on my phone and deal with a load ass ring. In any event, this is the beginning of having the president being forced down our throats, so of course you don't see a problem with it. There is no doubt this is harassment by the government.

We did however fight to get them out of our lives. See how these alerts puts them directly in our lives? Why should I have to deal with asshole #1 because something happened in my city that may or may not care about? Well?

You know you're not actually seeing a video of the President right? Just a text alert to whatever the incident is.

You know you're not actually seeing a video of the President right? Just a text alert to whatever the incident is.

Oh, so that is better somehow? The president gets to send me **** that I never asked for? That makes it better how?

We did however fight to get them out of our lives. See how these alerts puts them directly in our lives? Why should I have to deal with asshole #1 because something happened in my city that may or may not care about? I don't care if a bombing happened at some event if I'm busy doing something else. If I care I will get to it when I get to it.

Hey I think you should be able to turn it off if you want, its your right to be ignorant of extremely important information. But you should look for something else to foam your libertarian mouth at. If it helps, Obama isn't actually personally sending you a text message. And seriously, who the hell gets a warning of an immediate tornado and thinks about how annoying the ring tone is, you got your priorities backwards man

Back
Top Bottom