• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

Oh, so that is better somehow? The president gets to send me **** that I never asked for? That makes it better how?

You're already getting **** you never asked for. It's called the Emergency Broadcasting System through your cable, satellite and radio. And, no, you can't change the channel and avoid it. You can turn it off -- just like you can your phone.

Oh, so that is better somehow? The president gets to send me **** that I never asked for? That makes it better how?

Seriously how is, "There was an explosion in your area, please be advised" encroaching on your freedoms?

Think of it as a gift from him. It's like a can of fart spray. Now what liberal wouldn't want that?

Hey I think you should be able to turn it off if you want, its your right to be ignorant of extremely important information. But you should look for something else to foam your libertarian mouth at. If it helps, Obama isn't actually personally sending you a text message. And seriously, who the hell gets a warning of an immediate tornado and thinks about how annoying the ring tone is, you got your priorities backwards man

In passing the WARN Act, Congress allowed participating carriers to offer subscribers the capability to block all WEAs except those issued by the President.

My priorities are with being able to control who can send crap to my phone and being able to turn off annoying features if I so desire. I do not like the idea of government having the ability to send anything to me and I especially do not like the idea of being unable to block them. Why should I be forced deal with the government on a daily basis? Why should the government have the ability to harass me with messages or anything else? I don't care for these safety bull**** arguments, so continue to make them if you want. After the patriot act people should realize those arguments are only for overreaches.

Seriously how is, "There was an explosion in your area, please be advised" encroaching on your freedoms?
And how would the Obama know where in the hell I am? Oh, that's right. They're tracking everybody all the time, just so we can all get the message. Great.

My priorities are with being able to control who can send crap to my phone and being able to turn off annoying features if I so desire. I do not like the idea of government having the ability to send anything to me and I especially do not like the idea of being unable to block them. Why should I be forced deal with the government on a daily basis? Why should the government have the ability to harass me with messages or anything else? I don't care for these safety bull**** arguments, so continue to make them if you want.

You could just not buy an iPhone, or subscribed to AT&T if it bothers you that much.

My priorities are with being able to control who can send crap to my phone and being able to turn off annoying features if I so desire. I do not like the idea of government having the ability to send anything to me and I especially do not like the idea of being unable to block them. Why should I be forced deal with the government on a daily basis? Why should the government have the ability to harass me with messages or anything else? I don't care for these safety bull**** arguments, so continue to make them if you want.

I've never heard someone talk of a text message as an insult to their liberty. You know that this isn't a daily thing right? And that you don't have to "deal" with it, its not like a response is required. And as for dealing with the governemnt on a daily basis, well you already do in a sense, I mean that speed limit is the government whenever you drive, so is your seat belt and most of the safety features in your car. Your food and drugs are FDA approved, etc...

You're really taking this ignorance is freedoms thing to heart I can tell.

You're already getting **** you never asked for. It's called the Emergency Broadcasting System through your cable, satellite and radio. And, no, you can't change the channel and avoid it. You can turn it off -- just like you can your phone.

Yeah, and that is absolutely terrible. It never fails to happen right in the middle of a show and of course the government has to be heard and the show has to be muted. What part of I was watching this show did you not get, government? Go the **** away.

And how would the Obama know where in the hell I am? Oh, that's right. They're tracking everybody all the time, just so we can all get the message. Great.

More like the phone company knows what towers you are using, and sends the message that way, but okay :lol:

I've never heard someone talk of a text message as an insult to their liberty. You know that this isn't a daily thing right? And that you don't have to "deal" with it, its not like a response is required. And as for dealing with the governemnt on a daily basis, well you already do in a sense, I mean that speed limit is the government whenever you drive, so is your seat belt and most of the safety features in your car. Your food and drugs are FDA approved, etc...

Yes, I never asked for any of that either. Go figure.

You're really taking this ignorance is freedoms thing to heart I can tell.

Who ever told the government their job was to inform me of the weather, missing children or whatever the hell the government wants? Really, the last time I cared about missing children was just about never. I don't think I ever went out of my way to find out that information in fact.

You could just not buy an iPhone, or subscribed to AT&T if it bothers you that much.

So I have to do without an iphone to avoid the government? What a great situation for the people to find themselves in.

More like the phone company knows what towers you are using, and sends the message that way, but okay :lol:
Whatever. I would appreciate a government that doesn't attempt to solve all of my problems for me. Somehow I don't feel the need to know all of these events in real time. If you like it, why, I just think that's wonderful for you. Wonderful.

So I have to do without an iphone to avoid the government? What a great situation for the people to find themselves in.

No, it's the company that is allowing this, you can vote with your dollar and go to another company. Why not let the free market solve your problem for you?

No, it's the company that is allowing this, you can vote with your dollar and go to another company. Why not let the free market solve your problem for you?

This was put in place by the government, so exactly how is using the free market going to solve the problem?

This was put in place by the government, so exactly how is using the free market going to solve the problem?

You don't buy their phone, and their service, they will stop allowing the government to do this.

Problem solved, right?

You don't buy their phone, and their service, they will stop allowing the government to do this.

Problem solved, right?

I don't see anything about a way out for these companies once they volunteer to take part in this "for safety" campaign and I imagine in the future all companies will be forced to part in it.

I don't see anything about a way out for these companies once they volunteer to take part in this "for safety" campaign and I imagine in the future all companies will be forced to part in it.

Or give up federal subsidies.

Or give up federal subsidies.

The government likes to claim that without government assistance the industry couldn't survive or even grow. I doubt the subsidies will ever come to an end.

Funny, got one of these today. Flash flood warning.

Back
Top Bottom