• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'At Night The Screaming Began'

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
'At Night The Screaming Began': Firsthand Account Of Torture At Minsk Detention Center

e10fc83c-eade-40cc-a0e4-0da390cc7af9_w408_r1.jpg

8/18/20
Artyom Vazhenkov said that when darkness fell at the notorious detention center in the Belarusian capital of Minsk where he was held for several days, the screaming from those being tortured echoed into the night. "It was horrible -- not what I saw, but what I heard" Vazhenkov said in an interview with Current Time after his release. "At night, from our window outside we could hear people howling, screaming." Now back in Moscow, Vazhenkov described the torture, abuse, and inhumane conditions that he and others held at the Okrestina detention center endured. Some 7,000 people have been detained in the protests that erupted across Belarus after longtime President Alyaksandr Lukashenka was declared winner of the country's presidential election on August 9. In Minsk, many have ended up at Okrestina and have spoken of and documented on social media the physical abuse they suffered while held there. Thousands have been released, but hundreds remain locked up. Amnesty International and local human rights groups have collected testimony from protesters in Belarus who describe being tortured or subjected to other ill-treatment in such facilities, including being stripped naked, beaten, and threatened with rape.

The international human rights organization says detention centers across Belarus have become "torture chambers." As evidence of abuse at prisons and on the streets mounted, some Belarusian police and other security service members have quit, with many documenting the move on social media by throwing their uniforms into the trash or other similar gestures. In an unusual move, a senior police officer in Lida denounced the "cruelty and brutality" meted out by security forces against protesters in Belarus. Vazhenkov said one of the more extreme forms of torture he witnessed was the so-called swallow, when a detainee is handcuffed behind his back and elevated. "This is guaranteed to cause dislocations." He said another extreme form of abuse was the "walk down the corridor." "This is when a naked person walks down a hallway with riot police standing on either side of the corridor, beating them with truncheons, hitting them all over," Vazhenkov described. Vazhenkov's account echoes those of other former detainees. According to accounts collected by Amnesty International, detainees in Minsk and elsewhere in Belarus were "severely beaten for the entire duration of their detention."

Lukashenka hasn't survived as a dictator for 26 years by being a nice guy. Belarus is the only remaining European nation where capital punishment is legal.

Related: 'He doesn't care if we live or die': How Belarusians shed decades of fear to rattle a strongman's iron grip

Rattle another strongman's grip, vote Biden/Harris.

I'm going to enlarge on this and give the reason I posted the response. At this point in the Trump administration, I now have a better understanding of how it must feel to be in a country run by a strongman. I shudder to think what we would be like if Trump were to be reelected.

I'm going to enlarge on this and give the reason I posted the response. At this point in the Trump administration, I now have a better understanding of how it must feel to be in a country run by a strongman. I shudder to think what we would be like if Trump were to be reelected.
Alpha males are destructive and rather overrated. They create nothing but cycles of abuse.

Merkel said that it is necessary to guarantee the freedom of protests in Belarus.

Freedom is a good thing. But can she make a list right away in which countries needs to guarantee freedom of protest a must, and in which countries not really?

Or is it a "flexible" list?

Merkel said that it is necessary to guarantee the freedom of protests in Belarus.

Freedom is a good thing. But can she make a list right away in which countries needs to guarantee freedom of protest a must, and in which countries not really?

Or is it a "flexible" list?

Sasha should have had international election monitors present to observe the election.

But then again, he wouldn't have been able to cheat to such a high degree.

Back
Top Bottom