• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

At least 6 people were killed in a shooting at a Walmart in Virginia, officials say. The shooter is also dead

does anyone know if the pain of the family members who needlessly lost a loved one (again) has stopped yet?

Exactly. It only covered 17 (cherry picked) of those “mass shooting” events. What, exactly, made having “6 killed” so (exclusively?) important? That’s a problem with many who present “gun death” or “mass shooting” data, they carefully choose (cherry pick) which events to include (or exclude) based on which points they wish to make (or have ignored).
I see, so during an epidemic of mass shootings we're attempting to minimise and deflect from the daily carnage infecting America. In this November alone there have been 31 mass shootings, so far, where four or more people were killed.

does anyone know if the pain of the family members who needlessly lost a loved one (again) has stopped yet?

Is that pain any less if the weapon used (abused?) by the criminal perp was a knife or club?

Exactly. It only covered 17 (cherry picked) of those “mass shooting” events. What, exactly, made having “6 killed” so (exclusively?) important? That’s a problem with many who present “gun death” or “mass shooting” data, they carefully choose (cherry pick) which events to include (or exclude) based on which points they wish to make (or have ignored).

Chesapeke was a "6 killed" event, which I compared against similar events. Demographically, there are vast differences between the low end / high end body count per mass shooting incident:

- Low body count mass shootings have the highest total death toll, and Blacks are vastly over-represented in this category; 4 to 6 killed, perhaps up to 7 or 8.

- High body counts (around 10+) occur far less frequently and tend to be committed by whites, Asians and Arabs. Blacks are under-represented in this hyper-exotic and hyper-rare class of mass shooters.

I can come up with some charts that show this, and come up with a more precise figure of when the number killed per incident becomes less Black and more white/Arab.

Hilarious. What else, apart from killing things and shooting at targets, are guns designed to do?
Self defense, shooting paper targets, steel targets, clay targets etc.

Self defense, shooting paper targets, steel targets, clay targets etc.
So in other words exactly what I stated; killing and target shooting. If someone's coming at you with ill intent, are you aiming to wound or kill? Any other uses you can think of for this versatile tool?

So in other words exactly what I stated; killing and target shooting. Anything else?
I corrected you, and the other poster who said guns are designed to kill. That is demonstrably false.

I corrected you, and the other poster who said guns are designed to kill. That is demonstrably false.
Oh please! Why does the military get issued with them if they aren't designed to kill the enemy? Why not use water pistols instead...because? You might as well be saying aeroplanes aren't designed to fly...

Chesapeke was a "6 killed" event, which I compared against similar events. Demographically, there are vast differences between the low end / high end body count per mass shooting incident:

- Low body count mass shootings have the highest total death toll, and Blacks are vastly over-represented in this category; 4 to 6 killed, perhaps up to 7 or 8.

- High body counts (around 10+) occur far less frequently and tend to be committed by whites, Asians and Arabs. Blacks are under-represented in this hyper-exotic and hyper-rare class of mass shooters.

I can come up with some charts that show this, and come up with a more precise figure of when the number killed per incident becomes less Black and more white/Arab.

OK, but that simply makes my point: if you want to show a particular demographic (or any other ‘trend’) result then you can easily manipulate (cherry pick) the source data included (or excluded) to attain your desired result.

Most guns are designed to be (potentially) lethal weapons. Trying to deny that is both futile and ridiculous.

Oh please! Why does the military get issued with them if they aren't designed to kill the enemy?
This is a moronic argument. They are USED to kill the enemy, they are not DESIGNED to do so. They are designed to propel a projectile.
Why not use water pistols instead...because? You might as well be saying aeroplanes aren't designed to fly...
Guns are not designed to kill. This is objectively true. You need to formulate an actual, coherent and factually correct argument.

The link: https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/22/us/chesapeake-virginia-walmart-shooting/index.html

The lede: "At least six people were killed in a mass shooting Tuesday night inside a Walmart in Chesapeake, Virginia, and the shooter is also dead, city officials said early Wednesday."

The comment: Guns.

Again.

Once again, our existing laws and their levels of enforcement were unable to prevent the tragedy of these deaths by gunshot.

On average, based upon data from 2020*, a death from gunshot occurs roughly every 12 minutes in the United States of America. Every 12 minutes, every hour, every day, around the clock.

Guns.

Again.

Ref: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/02/03/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/
Another male shooter.

Most guns are designed to be (potentially) lethal weapons. Trying to deny that is both futile and ridiculous.
Guns are not designed to kill. This is just reality. They can be used to kill, just like a softball bat.

Americans are not convinced that they live in a shitty society. It's why mass shootings are a thing here and nowhere else in the world. The rest of the world has social services that help regardless if you meet the min credit system. And in other nations, they have 'family' that are there to support you. Only in America do people not have either.
Weird take.

Americans are not convinced that they live in a shitty society. It's why mass shootings are a thing here and nowhere else in the world. The rest of the world has social services that help regardless if you meet the min credit system. And in other nations, they have 'family' that are there to support you. Only in America do people not have either.
Wrong on all levels.
We don't live in a shitty society.

Hilarious. What else, apart from killing things and shooting at targets, are guns designed to do?
Does there need to be anything else? Congress in the Gun Control Act of 1968 listed "...hunting, trap shooting, target shooting, personal protection and any other lawful purpose" as legitimate uses or firearms.

Guns are not designed to kill. This is just reality. They can be used to kill, just like a softball bat.

Educate yourself.

Back
Top Bottom