• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

At least 6 people were killed in a shooting at a Walmart in Virginia, officials say. The shooter is also dead

When you were a child and you abused something did your parents allow you keep doing it?

According to you they did.

Are you advocating the establishment of a ‘nanny state’? Unlike government, parents have no duty (requirement?) to include due process in their disciplinary systems.

Guns were invented to use in warfare in order to kill enemy human beings... learn some history...
I know history. That is one of its many uses.
the Chinese invented the proto-gun in the form of a fire lance to use in warfare.
Ok
All guns were designed to kill from then on and just because some people use them for target shooting does not mean that the gun was not invented to kill people and continually redesigned/improved to make killing people more effective.
This is demonstrably false. Guns are not designed to kill.

What are guns designed to do on your planet?
On this planet, the same one as yours, they are designed to propel a projectile. They can be USED to kill. Just like a softball bat.

In what specific instances does a document written before the invention of the cartridge inhibit the enactment of sensible gun regulation?
In every instance, until it’s amended. Or did you think the 4th amendment doesn’t cover automobiles, telephones and computers?

I really don't think I was "trying to make a thunderous point". I was just asking a question. It seems the only one "thundering" here is someone other than me.

Have it your way then. You were asking a pointless question.

Hi, george48.

Thank you for reading my post and responding to it.

It's unfortunate but true that the annual number of deaths by gunshot in the United States of America is tolerable to large numbers of our citizens.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n un-shot.

Objection (opposition?) to a particular “gun control” law or policy is neither expressing tolerance for nor approval of “gun deaths”.

That sort of truth bending (to be kind) is often used to assert that if you oppose giving every single parent (earning less than $125K/year) a $300/week payment then you are tolerating or approving child poverty.

Too bad all the employees weren't packing. When does this ****ing rw insanity ever end?

What do you think would stop it?

Objection (opposition?) to a particular “gun control” law or policy is neither expressing tolerance for nor approval of “gun deaths”.

That sort of truth bending (to be kind) is often used to assert that if you oppose giving every single parent (earning less than $125K/year) a $300/week payment then you are tolerating or approving child poverty.

Hi, ttwtt78640.

Yup. People play all sorts of games with words. That's why I'm perhaps more careful than most on this site when composing a post. There are some gun laws which do nothing at all to reduce the annual number of gunshot deaths in the US.

Hi, ttwtt78640.

Yup. People play all sorts of games with words. That's why I'm perhaps more careful than most on this site when composing a post. There are some gun laws which do nothing at all to reduce the annual number of gunshot deaths in the US.

Thank you for your prompt reply. IMHO, those who see access to (the availability of?) particular types of guns as being the ‘root cause’ of “gun crime” are simply kidding themselves.

Generally, the arguments used to support that position are based mostly (if not entirely) on declaring correlation to be causation. Obviously, I can drive nails faster (and with less effort) with a nail gun than I can with a hammer, but the neither the availability of the nail gun nor the hammer caused me to wish to drive nails.

Last edited:
Some stats on the race of the "killed 6" mass shooter. In 17 incidents from 2017 to April 2022 (not including the Black shooter in the recent Chesapeke shooting) we get:

Capture.PNG

Whites and Hispanics are under-represented, and Blacks are vastly over-represented. Across all races, the motive for the 17 "killed 6" shootings were:

Capture1.PNG

Of the 41.2% that were rampage shooters:

Capture2.PNG

Well, I hope you have the greatest "ShootsGiving" ever, my friend :)
Congratulations
Yours is the rudest, nastiest, most revolting post of the year

Some stats on the race of the "killed 6" mass shooter. In 17 incidents from 2017 to April 2022 (not including the Black shooter in the recent Chesapeke shooting) we get:

View attachment 67424431

Whites and Hispanics are under-represented, and Blacks are vastly over-represented. Across all races, the motive for the 17 "killed 6" shootings were:

View attachment 67424433

View attachment 67424435

What is your source for this data? More importantly, what is your point?

View attachment 67424431

View attachment 67424433

View attachment 67424435

Hi, Rickeroo.

There are literally reams of data and charts and graphs available on gunshot deaths.

What matters, and the only thing that matters if we wish to significantly reduce the number of gunshot deaths, is the use to which the data is put. Thus far, as I've stated in some of my posts, our elected legislative politicians at all levels have shown themselves to be lacking feck in using the data.

What is your source for this data? More importantly, what is your point?

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/ Relevant links are "past years", along with 2022. Shooting can be ordered by number of deaths. It looks like the Chespeke shooting isn't on the site yet. 2 more "6 killed" are also there, however they include the shooters. It could be that part of the data in #914 includes the shooter as well. This is the data I used for #914:

The news only reports a subset of shootings, but there are a lot that go relatively unreported.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/ Relevant links are "past years", along with 2022. Shooting can be ordered by number of deaths. It looks like the Chespeke shooting isn't on the site yet. 2 more "6 killed" are also there, however they include the shooters. It could be that part of the data in #914 includes the shooter as well. This is the data I used for #914:

Thank you for your prompt reply. The data presented, concerning only 17 (obviously, cherry picked?), mass shootings shows (IMHO, serious) bias.

The news only reports a subset of shootings, but there are a lot that go relatively unreported.

As did the data which you chose to present in post #914. If your point was media bias by omission then you made it quite well.

Have Republicans ever presented a bill relevant to mass shootings and the funding/expansion of mental health social services since, say, Columbine? I'm doubting it (but willing to be surprised).
I don’t know. My guess is they would see this as more of a state responsibility than a federal one.

Thank you for your prompt reply. The data presented, concerning only 17 (obviously, cherry picked?), mass shootings shows (IMHO, serious) bias.

Indeed, it only covers "6 killed". Mass shootings account for a very small percentage of overall gun deaths but get the most press. In all of 2021, a total of 75 people were killed with a mass shooting of 6 or more killed. So far this year, including the recent Walmart, it's 91.

It's not an occasional occurrence, it's daily.
Please stop with the weak car nonsense. Unlike cars, guns are designed to kill, and have no mitigating factors engineered into them to reduce the death toll. The reverse, if anything.
Yep, 34 mass shootings in November alone-and still six days left!

Indeed, it only covers "6 killed". Mass shootings account for a very small percentage of overall gun deaths but get the most press. In all of 2021, a total of 75 people were killed with a mass shooting of 6 or more killed. So far this year, including the recent Walmart, it's 91.

Exactly. It only covered 17 (cherry picked) of those “mass shooting” events. What, exactly, made having “6 killed” so (exclusively?) important? That’s a problem with many who present “gun death” or “mass shooting” data, they carefully choose (cherry pick) which events to include (or exclude) based on which points they wish to make (or have ignored).

Back
Top Bottom