• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

At least 100 killed in suspected Islamist attacks in Niger

stevecanuck

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
“Terrorists” have killed around 100 people in two villages in western Niger, the latest in a string of civilian massacres that have rocked the jihadist-plagued Tillaberi region, a local mayor has said.

Ho hum, another day - another Islamist massacre. No matter how many people Islamists kill, the Western world seems determined to never wonder aloud how much 'Islam' there is in 'Islamist'. Many on this forum simply refuse to accept the possibility of a connection, regardless of how easy it is to prove that connection.

Qur'an 9:111 - Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and their properties [in exchange] for that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of Allah , so they kill and are killed.

Let the whataboutism begin.

“Terrorists” have killed around 100 people in two villages in western Niger, the latest in a string of civilian massacres that have rocked the jihadist-plagued Tillaberi region, a local mayor has said.

Ho hum, another day - another Islamist massacre. No matter how many people Islamists kill, the Western world seems determined to never wonder aloud how much 'Islam' there is in 'Islamist'. Many on this forum simply refuse to accept the possibility of a connection, regardless of how easy it is to prove that connection.

Qur'an 9:111 - Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and their properties [in exchange] for that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of Allah , so they kill and are killed.

Why should anyone bother? You clearly have a hair up your arse regarding Muslims.

“Islam in Niger accounts for the vast majority of the nation's religious adherents. The faith is practiced by at least 99% of the population,[2] although this figure varies by source and percentage of population who are classified as Animist. The official 2012 census found that 99.3% of the population self-identified as Muslim.[1] 95% of the muslim population indentifies itself as Sunni Muslims with 5% identifying itself as Shias .[4]

Now gee bud, if even a tenth of your claims about Muslims were true, the terrorists would have taken over Niger by now. After all, just about everyone there is a Muslim. Hmm.....and yet the government there actively fights— with the support of its people— against the extremists. It’s almost like your theories are full of shit.....oh wait... 😂

Now, let’s take a look at some of the countries helping Niger in the fight against the extremists, shall we?

Algeria—- somewhere between 97 and 99% Muslim.
Mauritania—- pretty much entirely Muslim.
Tunisia— about 98% Muslim.
Mali—- about 90% Muslim
Chad— about 50 to 57% Muslim

Plus the MINUSMA UN Task Force, which includes troops from(amongst others) Jordan, Bosnia, Pakistan and Senegal.....all countries with rather large Islamic populations(to say the least).

Hmm.....now, if even a tenth of what you claim about Muslims were true, none of those nations would be helping Niger fight against the extremists, now would they.

Last edited:
“Islam in Niger accounts for the vast majority of the nation's religious adherents. The faith is practiced by at least 99% of the population,[2] although this figure varies by source and percentage of population who are classified as Animist. The official 2012 census found that 99.3% of the population self-identified as Muslim.[1] 95% of the muslim population indentifies itself as Sunni Muslims with 5% identifying itself as Shias .[4]

Now gee bud, if even a tenth of your claims about Muslims were true, the terrorists would have taken over Niger by now. After all, just about everyone there is a Muslim. Hmm.....and yet the government there actively fights— with the support of its people— against the extremists. It’s almost like your theories are full of shit.....oh wait... 😂

Now, let’s take a look at some of the countries helping Niger in the fight against the extremists, shall we?

Algeria—- somewhere between 97 and 99% Muslim.
Mauritania—- pretty much entirely Muslim.
Tunisia— about 98% Muslim.
Mali—- about 90% Muslim
Chad— about 50 to 57% Muslim

Plus the MINUSMA UN Task Force, which includes troops from(amongst others) Jordan, Bosnia, Pakistan and Senegal.....all countries with rather large Islamic populations(to say the least).

Hmm.....now, if even a tenth of what you claim about Muslims were true, none of those nations would be helping Niger fight against the extremists, now would they.

What exactly do I claim about Muslims?

What exactly do I claim about Muslims?

Are you really going to dance around it bud?

From your OP

“how much 'Islam' there is in 'Islamist'. Many on this forum simply refuse to accept the possibility of a connection, regardless of how easy it is to prove that connection.”

As I showed(rather clearly) your premise about Muslims is not supported by the facts.

No whataboutism. I assume the folks these idiots killed were or included Muslims. But you make these points from time to time without suggesting a solution other than fear.

Are you really going to dance around it bud?

From your OP

“how much 'Islam' there is in 'Islamist'. Many on this forum simply refuse to accept the possibility of a connection, regardless of how easy it is to prove that connection.”

As I showed(rather clearly) your premise about Muslims is not supported by the facts.

Correct - Islam. I'm talking about what Islam demands. Muslims who decide to become Islamists are those obeying orders issued by Allah. It really is that simple.

No whataboutism. I assume the folks these idiots killed were or included Muslims. But you make these points from time to time without suggesting a solution other than fear.

The only solution to Islamism is for them to wake up one day and realize that there is no god, and that everything that came out of Mohamed's mouth was in truth the product of his own imagination. But, that's not going to happen.

I don't offer a solution, and have never said I did. I offer only knowledge. You don't have to wonder what the hell they're thinking them they slaughter people because the answer to that lies between the covers of the Qur'an. That's all I'm saying.

Correct - Islam. I'm talking about what Islam demands. Muslims who decide to become Islamists are those obeying orders issued by Allah. It really is that simple.

And yet, as the evidence of all those Islamic countries helping fight the extremists shows, they don’t agree with your interpretation of their religion, Steve al-Zarqawi.

And yet, as the evidence of all those Islamic countries helping fight the extremists shows, they don’t agree with your interpretation of their religion, Steve al-Zarqawi.

Those countries fighting Islamists are fighting for their lives. ISIS et al would behead all those leaders who aren't "practicing Islam the right way", and set up a pure Sunni caliphate. Your naivety is showing.

Those countries fighting Islamists are fighting for their lives. ISIS et al would behead all those leaders who aren't "practicing Islam the right way", and set up a pure Sunni caliphate. Your naivety is showing.

Ah, but if they actually agreed with you interpretation they’d be joining ISIS, not fighting them. After all, according to you ISIS has it right.

But that’s your probelm, Steve al-Zarqawi.....they don’t agree with your interpretation, and that blows your argument up rather nicely.

Ah, but if they actually agreed with you interpretation they’d be joining ISIS, not fighting them. After all, according to you ISIS has it right.

But that’s your probelm, Steve al-Zarqawi.....they don’t agree with your interpretation, and that blows your argument up rather nicely.

Please define what my "interpretation" of Islam is.

I'll let you rant on by yourself until you do.

Please define what my "interpretation" of Islam is.

I'll let you rant on by yourself until you do.

You said it yourself.....you think that the extremists are the ones following the “real” Islam. As it turns out, that is not an interpretation shared by most Muslims.

The only solution to Islamism is for them to wake up one day and realize that there is no god, and that everything that came out of Mohamed's mouth was in truth the product of his own imagination. But, that's not going to happen.

I don't offer a solution, and have never said I did. I offer only knowledge. You don't have to wonder what the hell they're thinking them they slaughter people because the answer to that lies between the covers of the Qur'an. That's all I'm saying.
Ok, but their violence is analogous to IRA's violence in the past, where it seems the Catholic branch of the organization was more radical than the Marxist branch was. As with the IRA vis-a-vis all Catholics, we are speaking of a small percentage of the billion Muslims in the world -- those whose thinking is in the Middle Ages. It would be as if Jews felt Leviticus and the rest of the OT needed to be taken literally, with the sometimes genocidal conquests described as a pattern for action. (I ran into a Christian who felt that way about Leviticus.) The added factor stimulating this violence is delayed blowback from European imperialism, (acknowledging that Muslims were pretty good at imperialism too, as has been the US.)

Send in a few hundred marines to wipe out these murdering animals.

You said it yourself.....you think that the extremists are the ones following the “real” Islam. As it turns out, that is not an interpretation shared by most Muslims.

The Qur'an tells Muslims to "fight in the way of Allah. To kill and be killed" in exchange for entry to heaven.

Those who truly believe that either strive to obey, or support those who do.

How do you explain the daily carnage?

Ok, but their violence is analogous to IRA's violence in the past, where it seems the Catholic branch of the organization was more radical than the Marxist branch was. As with the IRA vis-a-vis all Catholics, we are speaking of a small percentage of the billion Muslims in the world -- those whose thinking is in the Middle Ages. It would be as if Jews felt Leviticus and the rest of the OT needed to be taken literally, with the sometimes genocidal conquests described as a pattern for action. (I ran into a Christian who felt that way about Leviticus.) The added factor stimulating this violence is delayed blowback from European imperialism, (acknowledging that Muslims were pretty good at imperialism too, as has been the US.)

No, their violence is not analogous to the IRA. Christ (as described in the bible) never told anyone to fight anyone else. Never. The Qur'an does.

The Qur'an tells Muslims to "fight in the way of Allah. To kill and be killed" in exchange for entry to heaven.

Those who truly believe that either strive to obey, or support those who do.

How do you explain the daily carnage?

Simple. Some people are psychopaths who want an excuse to kill others and claim they are justified. Has nothing to do with religion. After all, the People’s Republic of China has state atheism as an offciial policy; that never stopped them from killing their people in great numbers, and they are still committing borderline genocide today.

Unfortunately for you, Steve al-Zarqawi, the idea that the extremists are the only “true believers” is just as blatantly false.

Simple. Some people are psychopaths who want an excuse to kill others and claim they are justified. Has nothing to do with religion.

When you have to resort to this level of absurd, gratuitous denial, it's time to admit that your 'argument' is nothing more, "IS NOT!".

Send in a few hundred marines to wipe out these murdering animals.
Send in a few hundred murdering animals to wipe out these murdering animals?

When you have to resort to this level of absurd, gratuitous denial, it's time to admit that your 'argument' is nothing more, "IS NOT!".

I get that your pathological hatred means you have to cling to fairy tales, but the fact of the matter is that the same kind of folks who join ISIS today joined groups like the PFLP in the past. It’s not the ideology; its the excuse to kill and claim you are justified in doing so.

That was a quote from the Quran. Not an interpretation.

Back
Top Bottom