• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

At-home DNA testing company allowed FBI access to its database: report

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/428020-at-home-dna-testing-company-working-with-the-fbi-report

Family Tree DNA, one of the largest at-home DNA testing companies in the U.S., has allowed the FBI to gain access to its database of more than a million DNA profiles in order to help solve violent crimes, according to a new Buzzfeed News Report.

Family Tree DNA in a statement to The Hill said it has tested DNA samples provided by the FBI to help "identify
perpetrators of violent crimes and to identify the remains of deceased individuals."
===========================================
I personally would never submit my DNA to strangers, especially when you have no guarantee as to what uses that DNA might be put to in the future. I was finger printed for a job once & that should suffice to help ID me if I should be involved in some disaster. At that point I doubt I would much care.

Not sure about the Family Tree DNA but with Ancestry.com I had to sign over consent to allow the use of my DNA for purposes other than myself.

Personally not worried about the use of my DNA for other purposes.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/428020-at-home-dna-testing-company-working-with-the-fbi-report

Family Tree DNA, one of the largest at-home DNA testing companies in the U.S., has allowed the FBI to gain access to its database of more than a million DNA profiles in order to help solve violent crimes, according to a new Buzzfeed News Report.

Family Tree DNA in a statement to The Hill said it has tested DNA samples provided by the FBI to help "identify
perpetrators of violent crimes and to identify the remains of deceased individuals."
I personally would never submit my DNA to strangers, especially when you have no guarantee as to what uses that DNA might be put to in the future. I was finger printed for a job once & that should suffice to help ID me if I should be involved in some disaster. At that point I doubt I would much care.

I am a veteran, so my DNA is already on file. One of the many reasons I don't commit any crimes. The number one reason being, I would suck at it. :mrgreen:

I am a veteran, so my DNA is already on file. One of the many reasons I don't commit any crimes. The number one reason being, I would suck at it. :mrgreen:

Most criminals are unaware of the power of modern forensic methods. For instance, our bodies are constantly shedding dead skin cells & hairs, stuff that can be vacuumed up at a crime scene & submitted for a DNA match. Just hope your identical twin isn't a second story artist.

Most criminals are unaware of the power of modern forensic methods. For instance, our bodies are constantly shedding dead skin cells & hairs, stuff that can be vacuumed up at a crime scene & submitted for a DNA match. Just hope your identical twin isn't a second story artist.

Well the good part is I'm rarely alone and have alibies and witnesses. :lamo

From the article:
"We came to the conclusion that if law enforcement created accounts, with the same level of access to the database as the standard FamilyTreeDNA user, they would not be violating user privacy and confidentiality"​

Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't just sell access to the FBI and any other LEO that wanted information from the firm's database. LEOs purchase information from other individuals and organizations; I don't know why Family Tree DNA should be any different.

Note:
LEOs don't need to purchase information when they have enough cause to subpoena it; however, as goes the information in a private firm's DNA database, there is no basis for thinking any specific DNA record is information the FBI needs. Accordingly, they'd have to purchase it. If the FBI knew a given suspect used Family Tree DNA's services, the FBI could subpoena that suspect's data from the firm.

I wonder if they have my DNA? It looks like they started collecting DNA in 1991. I was discharged in 1992 but don't remember giving a DNA sample but I may have.

Very disturbing. If someone's DNA is planted at a crime scene , guess who is "guilty"...regardless?

I wonder if they have my DNA? It looks like they started collecting DNA in 1991. I was discharged in 1992 but don't remember giving a DNA sample but I may have.

Initially our DNA that the military collected was for the identification of remains, and primarily still is. But in 2003 Congress passed a bill authorizing its use in law enforcement in certain circumstances. I don't know if DNA samples prior to that were grandfathered. I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom