• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Astronomers detect radio signal billions of light-years away

When choosing a frequency to "say hello" with aliens would probably avoid frequencies that are blocked by atmospheres like their own. Being in a quiet part of the interstellar spectrum would also be a consideration: however powerful their transmitter was, they would get better range that way.

On the other hand, a "prime directive" might apply so they'd do the exact opposite: transmit in frequencies only visible from space.

Some alien kid Messi g with the light switch.

It's not a mirage so much as it's just a natural emission of radio frequency photons.

I doubt an advanced alien civilization is going to use radio waves to communicate.
Why are we always assuming that the civilization is advanced? It is just as likely that we find a civilization that is not advanced at all.

Why are we always assuming that the civilization is advanced? It is just as likely that we find a civilization that is not advanced at all.
Disagree. A less advanced civilization is less likely to be able to send out detectable signals of any sort, and also less likely to be able to detect ours. We can't find the less advanced civilizations because we're just not advanced enough to even look.

Furthermore, the universe has been around for a long time. A million years is nothing. A single civilization developing on our path with a million year head start would be unrecognizably advanced to us.

It's not "just as likely" though. If there are civilizations more advanced than us (since we can't make such a strong radio signal ourselves) then there should be many more who are beyond that stage. If their intention is to communicate, I expect the signal would be more distinctive too: a message, repeated.

It's like picking a human at random and then being surprised they don't have the same birthday as you.

There's also the fact that radio bursts come from all over the sky. It's even less likely that many different civilizations would choose the same method and not one of them sending an unambiguous message.

They're magnetars collapsing, or something. Some natural phenomenon.

Disagree. A less advanced civilization is less likely to be able to send out detectable signals of any sort, and also less likely to be able to detect ours. We can't find the less advanced civilizations because we're just not advanced enough to even look.

Furthermore, the universe has been around for a long time. A million years is nothing. A single civilization developing on our path with a million year head start would be unrecognizably advanced to us.

That's valid. But I also like to point out that aliens might individually be dumber than us, or less able to co-operate with each other, and still have superior technology just by the passage of time.

Or maybe they've been busy printing more copies of 'To Serve Man.'
Our gym used to have a sign on the wall, I will be PC and change one to two words so the woke won't crap their pants. ( good episode BTW.)

"When the Aliens come they will eat the 'weight challenged' ones first". Of course after a while they gave in and took it down.

Our gym used to have a sign on the wall, I will be PC and change one to two words so the woke won't crap their pants. ( good episode BTW.)

"When the Aliens come they will eat the 'weight challenged' ones first". Of course after a while they gave in and took it down.

"Weight challenged" is factually inaccurate. Fat people aren't deficient in weight, in fact the opposite.

Don't make fun of politically correct language, if you can't do it properly yourself. You also spoiled the joke.

"Weight challenged" is factually inaccurate. Fat people aren't deficient in weight, in fact the opposite.

Don't make fun of politically correct language, if you can't do it properly yourself. You also spoiled the joke.
Not making fun of anything, that was based on a friend of mine who once said "I'm not fat, I'm weight challenged" He is no longer with us. The sign at the gym and what became of it was no joke, it was factual. Thanks for your useless opinion, I will give it all the consideration it deserves.

Not making fun of anything, that was based on a friend of mine who once said "I'm not fat, I'm weight challenged" He is no longer with us. The sign at the gym and what became of it was no joke, it was factual. Thanks for your useless opinion, I will give it all the consideration it deserves.

The word you were looking for was "overweight". Your joke failed because you tried to add a swipe against "woke" people, which wasn't in itself funny.

Now I suggest we stop trying to tell jokes, and get back on topic.

The word you were looking for was "overweight". Your joke failed because you tried to add a swipe against "woke" people, which wasn't in itself funny.

Now I suggest we stop trying to tell jokes, and get back on topic.
I said all the words I meant to say, I don't require you to try and correct what I mean. Have a nice day.

Recall the TZ episode To Serve Man. He was on their ship heading for their home world when he figured out that they wanted to use humans as food, him first.
a cookbook... how to serve man...
i loved that story... well, at least they brought us together and solved all of mankind's problems...
just like a good and successful rancher would... get on the ship... it will be over soon...

Back
Top Bottom