• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Assuming the Covid-19 crisis lasts 12 to 18 months, what are likely outcomes?

ALiberalModerate

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Let's just assume that epidemiologists and health authorities are right when they say that the Covid-19 pandemic will last between 12 and 18 months until we have a vaccine. Thus for the next year at least, we could see regular significant disruptions to our economy and lives in general. Frankly, I really hope this isn't the case, but let's just assume that epidemiologists and health authorities are right on this.

When we get beyond this, what changes do you expect to see in American society / government / culture? The poll is multiple choice, so you can check any options you think apply.

How do I delete this post? The poll took longer than 5 minutes to create evidently.

Last edited:
The disease will be around permanently. The crisis will be over in a month. By then, the way forward will be known and implemented. The way forward may be ugly, but life goes on.

The disease will be around permanently. The crisis will be over in a month. By then, the way forward will be known and implemented. The way forward may be ugly, but life goes on.

Agree, except I think more like up to 2 months. But yes, just like the flu this virus will be with us for the foreseeable future. Life will go on.

One important change would be a rejection of the leadership that has brought us to this pretty pass.

No, separating us and reducing contact will increase the time of the virus, and damage our economy for a longer period of time.

Let's just assume that epidemiologists and health authorities are right when they say that the Covid-19 pandemic will last between 12 and 18 months until we have a vaccine. Thus for the next year at least, we could see regular significant disruptions to our economy and lives in general. Frankly, I really hope this isn't the case, but let's just assume that epidemiologists and health authorities are right on this.

When we get beyond this, what changes do you expect to see in American society / government / culture? The poll is multiple choice, so you can check any options you think apply.

How do I delete this post? The poll took longer than 5 minutes to create evidently.

Depression is a sure thing.

Depressions really suck ass.

The situation is at least a bajillion times more worser than l first suspected. It's time to abandon all hope and remake Cop Rock.

you mean like rinderpest and polio?

The situation is at least a bajillion times more worser than l first suspected. It's time to abandon all hope and remake Cop Rock.

if this is satire, you are not in NY.

How so? Are you asserting that the US COVID-19 death total will exceed that from the flu?

I don't do false equivalency, I leave all the logical fallacies for the uneducated to bicker over.

I will say... We could still limit some the deaths if we take drastic action but that is not likely to happen. In fact, till now, we have effectively done next to nothing.

You can thank you orange God for that.

I don't foresee any changes in American society/government/culture. This will end up being no different than the "normal" flu, H1N1, etc. People will go about their normal lives...some will get sick...some will die.

I don't do false equivalency, I leave all the logical fallacies for the uneducated to bicker over.

I will say... We could still limit some the deaths if we take drastic action but that is not likely to happen. In fact, till now, we have effectively done next to nothing.

You can thank you orange God for that.

How, exactly, is comparing one potentially deadly virus with another "doing a false equivalency" or offering a "logical fallacy"?

How, exactly, is comparing one potentially deadly virus with another "doing a false equivalency" or offering a "logical fallacy"?

until you understand this, you won't understand the horror of this virus, sadly

I am not here to offer a high school level logic course, find one on your own.

until you understand this, you won't understand the horror of this virus, sadly

I am not here to offer a high school level logic course, find one on your own.

That is a total lack of response - well played.

One important change would be a rejection of the leadership that has brought us to this pretty pass.

You mean China should remove president-for-life Xi? He's the person most responsible for allowing the Chinese Flu to spread throughout the planet.

It's not that more worser.

How so? Are you asserting that the US COVID-19 death total will exceed that from the flu?

Why wouldn’t it? The rosiest projected mortality rate I’ve seen is .8%. Given similar infection levels to the flu, that’s 8 times the number of deaths.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom