• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

assault weapons

He is kind of right though guns don't kill people, people do.

Canada has tons of guns, hardly any gun deaths in Canada.

America has tons of guns, lots of gun deaths in America.

Conclusion - America must be f**ked up.

GarzaUK said:
Conclusion - America must be f**ked up.
As is your logic on most American matters.

Batman said:
As is your logic on most American matters.

Well why do Americans kill each other and Canadians do not? Both have plenty of guns. There is racial diversity in both countries. Why? Whats your logical reason for this batman?

GarzaUK said:
Well why do Americans kill each other and Canadians do not? Both have plenty of guns. There is racial diversity in both countries. Why? Whats your logical reason for this batman?
For three reasons:

1) we have more people US=282,909,885 Canada=31,413,990*

2) more people have guns in this country than in canada

---As of January 31, 2005, there were almost 2 million licensed individuals and almost 7 million firearms registered in the Canadian Firearms Information System (CFIS). **
# of Owners in US All Firearms 60-65 Million ***

3)Death by guns in US:35,673****(2001)
Death by guns(Canada):7,289*****

Now our population is 9 X larger than canadas. if you take that nine and multiply it by 7 million(# of guns owners in canada)you get 63 million.... The same as the US.If you take the number of gun deaths in canada and multiply it by 9 you get 65,607 deaths. The point im trying to make is that we are a larger counrty so more crime will happen in this country as a result.

*http://factfinder.census.gov/servle..._G00_&-redoLog=false&-_scrollToRow=2&-format=
**http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/media/program_statistics/default_e.asp
***http://www.justfacts.com/gun_control.htm
****http://www.gunowners.org/fs0101.htm
*****http://www.plu.edu/~gunvlnce/solutions3.html

GarzaUK said:
Let me guess - Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine is one of your favorite DVD's.
First there is a population difference. Approx. 32 million Canadians compared to apporx. 282 million Americans. More people could mean more incidents.
But this is interesting:
Canada

The contrast between the criminal violence rates in the United States and in Canada is dramatic. Over the past decade, the rate of violent crime in Canada has increased while in the United States the violent crime rate has plummeted. The homicide rate is dropping faster in the US than in Canada.

The Canadian experiment with firearm registration is becoming a farce says Mauser. The effort to register all firearms, which was originally claimed to cost only $2 million, has now been estimated by the Auditor General to top $1 billion. The final costs are unknown but, if the costs of enforcement are included, the total could easily reach $3 billion.

“It is an illusion that gun bans protect the public. No law, no matter how restrictive, can protect us from people who decide to commit violent crimes. Maybe we should crack down on criminals rather than hunters and target shooters?” says Mauser.

Established in 1974, The Fraser Institute is an independent public policy
organization with offices in Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto.

Source
I'm sure none of this will matter since you truly believe America is f**ked up.

Repubteen said:
For three reasons:

1) we have more people US=282,909,885 Canada=31,413,990*

2) more people have guns in this country than in canada

---As of January 31, 2005, there were almost 2 million licensed individuals and almost 7 million firearms registered in the Canadian Firearms Information System (CFIS). **
# of Owners in US All Firearms 60-65 Million ***

3)Death by guns in US:35,673****(2001)
Death by guns(Canada):7,289*****

Now our population is 9 X larger than canadas. if you take that nine and multiply it by 7 million(# of guns owners in canada)you get 63 million.... The same as the US.If you take the number of gun deaths in canada and multiply it by 9 you get 65,607 deaths. The point im trying to make is that we are a larger counrty so more crime will happen in this country as a result.

*http://factfinder.census.gov/servle..._G00_&-redoLog=false&-_scrollToRow=2&-format=
**http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/media/program_statistics/default_e.asp
***http://www.justfacts.com/gun_control.htm
****http://www.gunowners.org/fs0101.htm
*****http://www.plu.edu/~gunvlnce/solutions3.html
I don't know where you got your stats from, but the firearm related deaths in Canada are a little off (only by 6,000!-see first source). And note that most of these gun related deaths are from suicide. Your figure for the USA is off a little also, as in 1999 there were 28,000 (roughly) gun related deaths in the USA (see link 2). Did this number jump by 7,000 in 3 years? So, in conclusion, we see that your facts are way off, as there are 28,000 gun deaths in the USA compared with roughly 1,000 in Canada each year. This is hardly proportional.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/pol-leg/res-eval/pamplets/pdfs/focus-en.pdf

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF01.htm

GarzaUK said:
Canada has tons of guns, .

wrong.

Canada has tons of guns.....locked up where no one can get them.

Also, Canada's population is a mere fraction of the U.S.
Additionally, many-many of the shootings occuring here are committed by ILLEGAL ALIENS.
finally, freedom does in deed have its consequences.

I enjoy my FN-FAL, and no one will take it away from me peacefully.

have you even seen that documentary? or are you just condemning it because Michael Moore was against Bush? Let people watch it and make up their own mind...

IndependentTexan said:
and what is your opinion of the whole matter?
As far as the Moore 'movie' - he blamed everyone for the tragedy at Columbine except the two students that pulled the trigger.

As far as the 'gun matter' - outlaw guns and only the 'bad guys' will have them.

tell me, do you own a gun? and if so what do you use it for? The 2nd amendment can be interpreted in many ways. Some say the Right to bare arms was meant for the militia...and some say it is simply the right to have a gun. My belief is that even if it meant that everyone should have a gun, our founding fathers had no way of knowing that there would be guns like assault rifles holding 30 bullets that could be fired straight without reloading. Guns do not have to carry 30 bullets in order for someone to hunt. The only thing that an assault rifle aids is massed killings and school shootings. Our police force isn't even authorized to carry these assault rifles, so when the police do face a robbery against assault rifles they are often outmatched. There is no point in these types of guns being legal, so that is why they should be illegal and kept off of the streets.

IndependentTexan said:
tell me, do you own a gun? and if so what do you use it for? The 2nd amendment can be interpreted in many ways. Some say the Right to bare arms was meant for the militia...and some say it is simply the right to have a gun. My belief is that even if it meant that everyone should have a gun, our founding fathers had no way of knowing that there would be guns like assault rifles holding 30 bullets that could be fired straight without reloading. Guns do not have to carry 30 bullets in order for someone to hunt. The only thing that an assault rifle aids is massed killings and school shootings. Our police force isn't even authorized to carry these assault rifles, so when the police do face a robbery against assault rifles they are often outmatched. There is no point in these types of guns being legal, so that is why they should be illegal and kept off of the streets.
Yes, I own guns. Two hand guns, and a shotgun. I have them for personal protection - target shooting - and the fact that I like them.

You are right. You don't need an 'assault' rifle to hunt. But if you think about it - anything used to harm someone can be an 'assault' weapon. A rock is a rock, until I pick one up and throw it at you and committ "assault." Those types of weapons are better protection against a tyrannical government if one were to come into power.

I have to admit I've never seen a store that sells the "Mass Killings" and "School Shootings" assault rifle though. :p

Batman said:
Yes, I own guns. Two hand guns, and a shotgun. I have them for personal protection - target shooting - and the fact that I like them.

You are right. You don't need an 'assault' rifle to hunt. But if you think about it - anything used to harm someone can be an 'assault' weapon. A rock is a rock, until I pick one up and throw it at you and committ "assault." Those types of weapons are better protection against a tyrannical government if one were to come into power.

I have to admit I've never seen a store that sells the "Mass Killings" and "School Shootings" assault rifle though. :p
Perhaps I should have quoted another post, but I'd like to point out that Moore does in fact blame Columbine on the two students. Moore then professes that he is amazed at how much more gun violence we have in the USA than in the other industrialized countries, and seeks to find out why. It is partciularly amazing that KMart, not some gun store, sold that kind of dangerous ammunition, though. And if you are so willing to fight a 'tyrannical government', why do you support the two party system we see before us that excludes many views that are deemed 'radical' or 'reactionary'? You would never use you gun to fight tyranny, only to defend it.

anomaly said:
Perhaps I should have quoted another post, but I'd like to point out that Moore does in fact blame Columbine on the two students. Moore then professes that he is amazed at how much more gun violence we have in the USA than in the other industrialized countries, and seeks to find out why.
Perhaps you should go back and read post #30 in this thread.

Batman said:
Perhaps you should go back and read post #30 in this thread.
If you would read post # 31, you'd see that I did a little research. Canada has just over 1,000 deaths by guns a year, the USA 28,000. This means that in Canada 1/32,000 people die as a result of gun violence. In the USA, meanwhile, 1/10,000 die as a result of gun violence. We, proprtionally, have more gun violence here. You, therefore, have no argument.

anomaly said:
If you would read post # 31, you'd see that I did a little research. Canada has just over 1,000 deaths by guns a year, the USA 28,000. This means that in Canada 1/32,000 people die as a result of gun violence. In the USA, meanwhile, 1/10,000 die as a result of gun violence. We, proprtionally, have more gun violence here. You, therefore, have no argument.
Explain the study done by the The Fraser Institute Pehaps it has no arguement.

Batman said:

A rock doesnt kill people and have 30 shots to it without reloading. Assault rifles carry a lot of bullets. So let me ask you this, what is the point in having so many rounds in a gun? The army uses 30 shots if not more in their weapons. Assault rifles aren't rocks, they are highly powerful guns. I own a german Walther and i find that 6 shots are enough for it.

So you use your guns for protection? So you think that it is safe to have more powerful guns than the police? Don't be so oblivious. These assault rifles that carry so many rounds just invite crime. Tell me, what would you use with a gun with 30 clips? Do you think that the communists are going to come with a small army to your house and try to take over the government? That is like being in Kansas and getting hurricane insurance, theres probably less than a 1% chance that that is going to happen. Now if you could prove statisticly that there are more protection saves by guns than there are accidental shootings, you could probably argue your point. But that isn't true at all.

Here are some statistics:
The United States has by far the highest rate of gun deaths -- murders, suicides and accidents -- among the world's 36 richest nations, a government study found.
The U.S. rate for gun deaths in 1994 was 14.24 per 100,000 people. Of the 88,649 gun deaths reported by all the countries, the United States accounted for 45 percent. The study found that gun-related deaths were five to six times higher in the Americas than in Europe or Australia and New Zealand and 95 times higher than in Asia.

The fact is, when you see that the bad outweights the good, how can you say that protection is a good reason to have a gun?

Let me play a scenario that happens a lot. A kid comes home late, but the parents think that it's a burgular. So they shoot and kill their own kid.

want another? A kid decides to show off their gun to his friend, and thinking the gun isn't loaded, points and shoots his friend.

The United States lead in gun related accidents. I don't see how you could have been so oblivious to not learn anything from Bowling at Columbine.

IndependentTexan said:
So you use your guns for protection? So you think that it is safe to have more powerful guns than the police?
.357 magnum - 9mm - 12gauge shotgun. Those are the guns I own. That's more powerful than the police?
IndependentTexan said:
I own a german Walther and i find that 6 shots are enough for it.

The fact is, when you see that the bad outweights the good, how can you say that protection is a good reason to have a gun?

Let me play a scenario that happens a lot. A kid comes home late, but the parents think that it's a burgular. So they shoot and kill their own kid.

want another? A kid decides to show off their gun to his friend, and thinking the gun isn't loaded, points and shoots his friend.
You own a gun, but give examples as to why people shouldn't. :confused:

Batman said:
Explain the study done by the The Fraser Institute Pehaps it has no arguement.
Which link is that? These links give evidence to show that the USA has 28,000 gun deaths per year, roughly, and Canada has 1,000, roughly. This shows that we have more gun deaths in the USA than in Canada. How can you disagree with facts? Besides, I give no link of a Fraser institute, I give the gun control network and then a Canadian government site.

Batman said:
.357 magnum - 9mm - 12gauge shotgun. Those are the guns I own. That's more powerful than the police?

You own a gun, but give examples as to why people shouldn't. :confused:

Ok...im talking about assault rifles....that just became legal in the market...the ones that hold the 30 bullets and are really powerful....those

anomaly said:
Which link is that? These links give evidence to show that the USA has 28,000 gun deaths per year, roughly, and Canada has 1,000, roughly. This shows that we have more gun deaths in the USA than in Canada. How can you disagree with facts? Besides, I give no link of a Fraser institute, I give the gun control network and then a Canadian government site.
It's the link I provided in post #30. Here it is: http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared/readmore.asp?sNav=nr&id=570

Batman said:
Oh, I'd ignore Repubteen's links if I were you...I checked them out and they give no facts of Amrica's or Canada's deaths by gun violence each year. That's why I researched to see if he was just lying and yes, he was. The fact is that proportionally we have more gun deaths in the USA than in Canada. The question is why.

Back
Top Bottom