• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Assault Weapons Ban to see vote next week

Artymoon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This topic has been discussed last year but just wanted to make folks aware as it seems they are at it again. Looks like this bill will be voted on next week and will surely clear the House and has a real chance of getting through the Senate. Absolutely crazy as this bill flies in the face of the Constitution and from previous rulings - Bruen, Heller, McDonald.

This bill would target not just the scary AR, but would affect handguns, shotguns or any type of gun that could possibly accept a plastic accessory that they deem unacceptable. Seeing as how the red flag legislation went through and the new ATF director was confirmed, hoping some in the Senate realize this is a gross overreach and vote accordingly. Craziness.

This topic has been discussed last year but just wanted to make folks aware as it seems they are at it again. Looks like this bill will be voted on next week and will surely clear the House and has a real chance of getting through the Senate. Absolutely crazy as this bill flies in the face of the Constitution and from previous rulings - Bruen, Heller, McDonald.

This bill would target not just the scary AR, but would affect handguns, shotguns or any type of gun that could possibly accept a plastic accessory that they deem unacceptable. Seeing as how the red flag legislation went through and the new ATF director was confirmed, hoping some in the Senate realize this is a gross overreach and vote accordingly. Craziness.

Sounds good to me.

I have a safe room key around my neck, intended to protect me and a group of kids from a shooter, while at my elementary school workplace. I'd be thrilled to not have to worry about fumbling the key or not grabbing the children in time before a shooter saw us.

Keep that in mind while you wonder why I am not sympathetic to gun rights assholes who whine about mah rights!, regulations, registration paperwork, background checks and wait times.

It will never pass. This is "poison pill" legislation, and the demonrats will blame the republicans again.

Something like this does not have much prayer in the Senate anyway, in some regards this rapid succession of Democrat only (mostly) passed bills is designed to become campaign trail speaking points.

Relax, this bill has no chance of clearing the Sinmanchin Senate. Even if it did, the Extreme Court would strike it down.

Relax, this bill has no chance of clearing the Sinmanchin Senate. Even if it did, the Extreme Court would strike it down.
Normally I would agree. But given the last few votes and the confirmation of an ATF director who has openly stated he's for banning things such as what is in this legislation, I don't know. If passed, this bill would make untold numbers of gun owners - Reps and Dems - criminals.

And what is this legislation trying to ban? And how many pages of legal speak does it need to affect said ban?

And again, the rifle that holds the record for deaths in a mass shooting is exempted by name.

Normally I would agree. But given the last few votes and the confirmation of an ATF director who has openly stated he's for banning things such as what is in this legislation, I don't know. If passed, this bill would make untold numbers of gun owners - Reps and Dems - criminals.

It does violate the Constitution. It is arbitrary and capricious.

Relax.

It will never pass. This is "poison pill" legislation, and the demonrats will blame the republicans again.

The term “assault weapon” now includes all semi-automatic pistols with LCAFD. This was not present in the 1994 AWB.

Yep, the (bolded below) nugget should kill the bill.

This bill makes it a crime to knowingly import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon (SAW) or large capacity ammunition feeding device (LCAFD).

The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

The bill also exempts from the prohibition the following, with respect to a SAW or LCAFD:

• importation, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession related to certain law enforcement efforts, or authorized tests or experiments;
  • importation, sale, transfer, or possession related to securing nuclear materials; and
  • possession by a retired law enforcement officer.
The bill permits continued possession, sale, or transfer of a grandfathered SAW, which must be securely stored. A licensed gun dealer must conduct a background check prior to the sale or transfer of a grandfathered SAW between private parties.

The bill permits continued possession of, but prohibits sale or transfer of, a grandfathered LCAFD.

Last edited:
And what is this legislation trying to ban? And how many pages of legal speak does it need to affect said ban?
If I read it right, it effectively bans any semiautomatic weapon that is magazine loaded, or holds more than 10 rounds.

There is more to it than that, but this part will have the biggest effect.

Don't see it happening and even if it does the court may strike it down.

I wonder if Dems will ever get off this stupid idea, and actually start taking the problem seriously.

Don't see it happening and even if it does the court may strike it down.
Anything is possible nowadays. I agree that it will eventually get struck down. Question is how long would it take?
I wonder if Dems will ever get off this stupid idea, and actually start taking the problem seriously.
Proposing this stuff checks a box with the loyal and keeps chipping away at those who don't really follow it one way or the other.

They're innumerate and can only pander to low information voters.

If I read it right, it effectively bans any semiautomatic weapon that is magazine loaded, or holds more than 10 rounds.

There is more to it than that, but this part will have the biggest effect.
And if I understand it correctly, not just a gun that holds more than 10 rounds, but any gun that has the ability to accept a magazine that could hold more than 10 rounds. So virtually any magazine fed gun - rifle, pistol or shotgun.

No way.

If they actually solved problems, voters would be dependent on them.

And if I understand it correctly, not just a gun that holds more than 10 rounds, but any gun that has the ability to accept a magazine that could hold more than 10 rounds. So virtually any magazine fed gun - rifle, pistol or shotgun.
That's why I simply said "magazine" since they come in various sizes. I saw nothing about magazine capacity, but I skimmed over most of it. I noted that "magazine" was effectively banned.

The new sales of any semi-auto gun with a magazine capacity of over 10 rounds. While it pretends to ‘grandfather in’ existing “banned” guns allowing their transfer it does not ‘grandfather in‘ existing “high capacity” magazines for later transfer.

How this could possibly be enforced is also not clear, since a ‘grandfathered’ high capacity magazine has no identifying marks (serial number or date of manufacture). If I wish to sell you my gun then I could easily have you “find” my “lost” high capacity magazines and then legally transfer the gun (with no magazines) to you via a FFL dealer. You could claim to have had the ‘grandfathered’ high capacity magazines (which bear no identifying marks) since you then legally own the ‘grandfathered’ gun and its high capacity magazines.

Sounds good to me.

I have a safe room key around my neck, intended to protect me and a group of kids from a shooter, while at my elementary school workplace. I'd be thrilled to not have to worry about fumbling the key or not grabbing the children in time before a shooter saw us.

Keep that in mind while you wonder why I am not sympathetic to gun rights assholes who whine about mah rights!, regulations, registration paperwork, background checks and wait times.
Setting aside the fact that an assault weapons ban is clearly unconstitutional and is a direct violation of 3 Supreme Court rulings, if you somehow managed to pass a ban on any type of firearm, it does not reduce the number of those firearms by a single one, nor prevent anyone from obtaining them right? So magically passing this u constitutional bill would not lead to you being any safer in your classroom as there are already tens of millions of “assault weapons” currently in circulation and it would not prevent the ability to obtain more.

The new sales of any semi-auto gun with a magazine capacity of over 10 rounds. While it pretends to ‘grandfather in’ existing “banned” guns allowing their transfer it does not ‘grandfather in‘ existing “high capacity” magazines for later transfer.

How this could possibly be enforced is also not clear, since a ‘grandfathered’ high capacity magazine has no identifying marks (serial number or date of manufacture). If I wish to sell you my gun then I could easily have you “find” my “lost” high capacity magazines and then legally transfer the gun (with no magazines) to you via a FFL dealer. You could claim to have had the ‘grandfathered’ high capacity magazines (which bear no identifying marks) since you then legally own the ‘grandfathered’ gun and its high capacity magazines.
It's ceased to be amazing how many unconstitutional, ineffective and unenforceable laws are written by Democrats and embraced with near religious fervor by their low information voters.

Another name for this bill should be "Sell Ten Million AR-15s In 90 Days Act."

Because it is unconstitutional. 3 separate scotus rulings have already settled this. Heller, McDonald and Caetano

Back
Top Bottom